2012 Marathon thread

5,741 to 5,760 of 6,126 messages
02/12/2012 at 18:51
Micknphil- hpe 2013 is a better year, guys....
NP- nice running, paddling and building
Got me checking- 57.46 m this week
02/12/2012 at 18:54

OH - Nice run

Fiona - Your shoulders should be pushed right back while squatting, I think. Helps keep everything tight, sounds like you might have the bar too high up your back.

Good running yesterday, and nice session today

Jason - Good run today, and well done on toughing it out yesterday Hope you're feeling a bit better.

NP - Nice weekly total

Tek - Sounds like rest is the only option for now mate

Andy - Welcome! As has been said, just focus on getting the distance up slowly, you're still 6 months away.

------

Didn't expect to be fit to run today, as I was out last night, but feel strangely fine. However, yesterdays fall has lead me to taking a few days off, next run will be Thursday or Saturday. Knee is fine, but I've had another niggle for a week or so but ran through it, going to rest it now. The weather here this week looks to be icy, and I think it's also meant to snow tonight. I just don't fancy falling on my skint knee again

02/12/2012 at 19:47
Mick & Phill sorry to here that but I'm sure you will be running more marathons next year.

Jason nice mileage mate and great speed as well, I forgot to say I got a pair of Walsh trail shoes in the post yesterday so I plan on donning a few miles off road this year.
02/12/2012 at 19:53
NP- shame not to use them!
Edited: 02/12/2012 at 19:53
02/12/2012 at 22:01

Hope 2013 is a good year and you make a strong recovery mick & phil.

Stuart, you're right. Really sorted the technique today and have pushed shoulders/elbows right back and got the bar on my (allegedly underdeveloped) muscles either side of the back. Feels a lot better.

Hope the knees get sorted Stuart and Teknik.

Nice running NP. I'm going to take your advice and for one day do the mileage split into two rather than what I used to do before and throw in another run and get injured.

Lots of good base building going on. Low mileage week for me (33) but last few have been 40's so still quite relaxed.  Been fine tuning the plan!

F

03/12/2012 at 07:47

Apologies for neglecting this thread recently but good to see some fine runs and big miles going in especially with the crap weather and cold dark mornings/evenings.

jason - I have to say that "slow easy" 16 miler after the XC and with the MF is ridiculous. I RACED a 10miler yesterday with an average of 10 seconds per mile slower !!!! It puts things in perspective and serves as great motivation. What is your background ? How did you get to that level ? I'm guessing there has to be a fair amount of natural ability in there as well as the obvious hard work.

Hope everyone stays fit and those who aren't can get back to 100% soon.

Edited: 03/12/2012 at 08:33
03/12/2012 at 11:36

Well tried out XC yesterday for the first time since school. Just a low key local series.
Suspect my trainers will never look the same again.

MickNPhil - hope 2013 is better one

Mace - yes Jason is def in different league to most of us on here!

Edited: 03/12/2012 at 12:06
03/12/2012 at 17:35

Fiona - yes Lulu ran 6 miles with me yesterday. Rest day for her today - however i popped out for 45 mins for a run on my own. Am pleased your back to 100% with your niggle after a days rest.

Welcome Andy - good luck in training for your first. getting to the start line injury free is number 1 challenge !!

Jason - thats a very good long run in that soaring heat

teknik - these other chaps know more about things that me. I hope the rest, rolling and physio get you sorted. You still have plenty of time for the spring - so build slowly when you start again. I feel better now for my break in Sept !! - so look at the upside if you can !

Super building up the mileage NP.  54 miles is very solid for base building indeed.  I plan some doubles this spring too. ( One with lulu in morning and another in the evening on my own )

Stuart - I hope your niggle eases. Glad the knee is "ok".  As per teknik - it maybe a small blessing !!

Mace - I read your race report on Hadd. very solid indeed. Speed is relative and I try to only compete against myself ....( not that it works half the time )

I hope the XC brought back lots of schoolboy memories OH

03/12/2012 at 18:15

Nice swim this morning 50 x 25 m total 1.25km  and an easy 5 miles on the road, double day tomorrow and more building.

Fiona thats still a nice step back week good luck with the doubles but i'm sure you will be fine.

Mace dont fret on others speed I'm sure even Jason is envious of the elites. But in the past 3/4 years he has built on a great base and massive yearly milage which comes down to consistancy, dedication and a determanation to sucseed.

AFG nice to hear your niggle has gone and nice running.

03/12/2012 at 18:16

AGF Fortunately not. Schoolboy memories of XC were not good accompanied by sadistic staff with third gym shoe in hand. It took until nearly 40years later to begin to actually enjoying running. Formative years!

Edited: 03/12/2012 at 18:17
03/12/2012 at 19:01

...just back from physio.  "Just" inflamed tendon between VMO and knee; no running for 2 weeks, plus normal referral to podiatrist for another round of orthotics that I'll end up rejecting...

To keep sane I think I'll post my X-training each day.

03/12/2012 at 19:15

Hi Teknik.  I know what you mean. Its hard to keep happy with no running. At least you have a diagnosis and will be running again at starting to get back into it by the new year... With a fantastic year of running behind you

OH - How sadistic... hope the trainers are looking better for you !!

Nice swmming and run  NP

HM4
03/12/2012 at 19:27

Tek,

I hated it because everyone was dawdling everywhere.

Fiona,

Thanks.

Andy,

Hi & welcome to the thread.

--------

Well done on everyone's training.

03/12/2012 at 19:37

My ears are burning.....

Mace- spot on- that run wasn't the slow and easy 16 i had planned, but I was feeling good. No secret, just 3 years of building on steady consistent mileage and enjoying myself Well done on the race

Tek- 2 weeks is good- if you know what I mean....

OH- I hate xc with a vengeance Got the inter-regional champs next weekend too

7.03m recovery jog for me this evening. Just managed to miss the huge downpour which is lashing down outside right now

03/12/2012 at 20:26
Hey folks, dont get me wrong, no fretting going on here, more like inspired Like I say, when I read some of the training it motivates me to work harder. I've run on and off for years and it's only after finding this forum that I've discovered some sort of direction and structure in what I'm doing and I'm finally improving and properly enjoying it.

Tek - glad you have a diagnosis, look forward to your comeback.
03/12/2012 at 20:46
Evening everyone. May aswell introduce myself as Iv just signed up for the edinburgh marathon in May and about to start my training schedule for it.
Been struggling with training since getting tendonitis after the Glasgow half just there, which I hobbled over the line in 1:42:36. Started back after a month off with a 6.6 mile on Saturday and 4 miles easy tonight at 8min/mile. Tempo run on Wednesday should be fun
Looking forward to reading through this thread as it comes.
Cheers, Darren.
03/12/2012 at 21:25
Welcome Darren/spark. Good luck with the training !!
03/12/2012 at 21:29
Cheers mate.
03/12/2012 at 21:50
Welcome spark
Mace- glad you're reaping the benefits of your training
04/12/2012 at 08:38

Morning All, went on the x trainer yesterday and a 3 miler at lunch, now for 24 hours of travelling tommorrow, india-dubai-manchester, then home to see the list of jobs the other half has waitng for me   

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.