2012 Marathon thread

5,781 to 5,800 of 6,126 messages
06/12/2012 at 12:00

Good work Tek  

NP - impressive stuff 

Fiona - cheers me dear

Spark - welcome

-2 C here at 5.30am .... my nose felt like it had departed my face when i got back

06/12/2012 at 12:18

Glad to see your all coping with the ice and snow!!

great runnning and X training going on

I have done nothing for a week now as very ill with a chest infection. Looks like it'll be another few days yet before I can do anything Hopefully this will be the last of my illnesses...........I feel like I have been constantly ill since September??

06/12/2012 at 13:19

Nice cross training Teknik.

NP and mace well done on getting out early and in the cold - puts me to shame.

Spark that's a nice tempo, might do another of those tonight.

kaz you have certainly had more than your share of illness, hope you get better soon, take care.

A weights session for me last night and an embarrassing moment when I tried a few lunges at the end with the 15kg bar and fell over.  Then decided to use the gym treadmill and did 4 miles. I'll now be grateful for how cold my garage is! I was going to do a double today but could not bear the thought of walking through the snow to the garage at early o'clock, should be ashamed of myself!!

F

06/12/2012 at 18:30
Second six mile run of the day done very very wet apart from my plaster thanks to the bag.
Kaz1 fingers crossed you will get over it soon.
Fiona what happened to that tough northern lass lol very wet and cold here, ice this morning rivers tonight....watch you don't turn in to one of those gym bunnies and not able to go out in the cold.
06/12/2012 at 19:19

Spark - Welcome! Nice tempo run

Fiona - I've never toppled over doing lunges, but been very close before. So I use DBs instead of a bar for single leg stuff, but there is little chance you can shift the same weight that way.

Kaz - That doesn't sound good Hope you're better soon.

NP - Good running

Mace - Well done on getting out in the cold

Good running everyone else!

------------

I've done absolutely nothing since Saturday. Right leg is slightly sore, feels like a muscle or tendon strain. Doesn't hurt to run on it (at all), putting socks on seem to be the most painful activity, oddly enough.

Think I'll do some weights in a bit, or maybe in the morning. Might run on Saturday,  but I'll see how it goes.

06/12/2012 at 20:03

HM thanks

Spark nice tempo pace

mace nice early start!!

kaz it does seem like you have!  Hope you get better soon

Fiona take care with those weights!  Nice treddie run

NP nice double - when's the plaster coming off?

Stuart take care mate

---

I've been digging out all the bits of home gym equipment accumulated over the years.  Tonight I got on the "Lateral Thigh Trainer", a mini step machine. It's supposed to feel like speed skating, but I think I just minced for 40 minutes (HR didn't break 50%max)

86 press-ups in 5 sets.

06/12/2012 at 20:29

6 miles on icy pavements tonight
Chube used as face mask for first time!

Tek Is speed skating allied to speed dating? (esp with all this talk of lateral thigh training )

NP well done on double especially when plastered in the rain!

Spark - welcome!

Good cross training FC

HM4
06/12/2012 at 21:13

Mace,

When I left for work this morning at 10am it was still -1C (North Hampshire).

-------

Well done on everyone's training.

06/12/2012 at 22:17

hello

tis me - old man Mick - the novice

07/12/2012 at 01:30
Hi all. Was meant to be doing a 7 miler today, work decided otherwise. Started as 7 this morning and just got into hotel at 1:10 lol. Can have a longer lay tomorrow so will get up at 8 and do it then
07/12/2012 at 17:08

OH - LOL. Well done on the icy run.

micknphil

HM brrrrrr...not so bad here, just wet and windy

Spark - hope you get out for the 7 miler

---

90 minutes hot yoga for me this morning.  Good to be warm for a while!  Going for a walk later (to the pub).

07/12/2012 at 17:38

Tek - Sounds like a good bit of cross training tonight, I might also go for a walk

----

Gym for me this morning. Decided to do lower rep stuff, to get a vague feeling for how much strength I've lost since taking up running. It was quite pathetic struggling to squat 80kg for a few reps as only 18 months ago I could squat 125...

Parkrun cancelled tomorrow, so that takes away any temptation I have to run. Think it'll be upper body weights and spinning in the afternoon for me.

07/12/2012 at 18:30
Oh we'll done on your 5 miles.
Looks like the rest of us have been cross training/rest day.
Rest day and stretching for me today no swimming as I had a number of other things that needed doing.
07/12/2012 at 18:54

Catch up later....

Work's nuts at the moment, but the weekend is here Plans? Out into the Perfect Storm in a minute for a run, followed by inter-regional xc tomorrow through thick, deep mud....

07/12/2012 at 19:09

Um night out tonight
... another party tomorrow
... ... and another year past on Sunday
... ... ... Will I get any running in this weekend?

Jason - sounds, erm,  challenging

07/12/2012 at 20:18

Rrrrrrrrright folks, its that time of year.  Asics competition is in full flow over on the Spring Marathon page.  And the Forum 6 has just been launched.  As a former mentee I can highly recommend this.  Whether you're looking for a sub 3 or sub 7 marathon everyone is welcome to pitch.  All time brackets will be covered...

HERE IS YOUR CHANCE !!!!

Have you been shunned by Asics?

Stuck in a training rut?

Got a marathon place and can only run round the block??

Busy busy busy and no time to train??

I have six lovely mentors all lined up and chomping at their Mizunos to get involved

All you have to do is to tell us why you should be given the prize of the millennium

YOUR PITCH

Should not threaten to harm small animals
Should not send people to sleep or need a screen break

It will contain your hopes for a marathon time
It will contain your marathon entry confirmed
It will contain a brief running history of recent times and pb's

We would love to hear all about YOU, strengths, weaknesses and limitations

---------------------------------------

This thread will close on Monday 17th December and then Kittenkat and her esteemed Adjudicator(s) will cogitate the pitches and we will then announce the LUCKY SIX on Christmas Eve

Asics 6??  As they said on Channel 4 ... thanks for the warm up    

Click on the link below to be taken to the pitching page.....

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/spring-marathon/the-rw-forum-six/234971.html

HM4
07/12/2012 at 20:22

Tek,

It's warmed up today, however I think it's going to be cold tonight.

07/12/2012 at 22:42

No chance of me being a gym bunny NP, I'm way too clumsy!  I'll start those doubles soon but may still do a fair bit of TM running as I seem to be less prone to injury when I do less on the pavements in winter. I don't mind the treadmill.

Hope the leg is ok Stuart? With hand weights I'd be about 1kg each side. 125kg - eek!  I'm toying with adding to my 25kg but not sure how much - on a 15kg bar maybe just take it up to 30kg total.

mace hope it's warmed up with you!

Good luck with the XC jason - your favourite!

kaz, are you any better?

Nice cross training Teknik.

OH sounds like a good weekend!

Hope all is well with you Mick.

spark hope you got the run.

Rest day here, short tempo last night. The snow is all gone so will get out tomorrow - hope it's not too cold with you HM4.  Happy weekend running folks!

F

07/12/2012 at 23:33
Oh go on then, Minni!
Fiona- yeah, love the XC.......
No rush here to start doubles. Got to get to around 70 m on singles first.....
Edited: 07/12/2012 at 23:34
08/12/2012 at 07:20

Fiona - I had to go home from work yesterday after fainting, so all not good and not ran for 10 days. I am so fustrated but know that I am in no way fit to run.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.