2012 Marathon thread

5,801 to 5,820 of 6,126 messages
HM4
08/12/2012 at 07:52

Fiona,

Today is a warm day!  It's 4C at the mo however it's only going to get to 5C so will try and time a run for about then.

((Kaz)),

Hope you're feeling better now.

08/12/2012 at 07:55
HM4 just put another Tshirt on you soon warm up once you get going.
Heading out the door for my hill.
HM4
08/12/2012 at 07:57

NP,

It's not the top half which suffers.  Once the cold gets into my hips they hardly function.

08/12/2012 at 08:03
A good warm up before you go out the door should do the trick, you could also put a pair of shorts over your running tights. Even when it was -18 here two years ago once you got started it was ok apart from one 22 mile run when a blizzard started around mile 12 now that was cold.
HM4
08/12/2012 at 08:06

NP,

Thanks for the tip.

08/12/2012 at 08:16

HM -I double up on running tights all winter plus shorts over the top due to the cold here. It does seem to help.

08/12/2012 at 08:51
Haven't got the tights out yet this year, but the coldest it's got so far is only zero degrees
Off to the mud bath soon....have a good one everyone!
08/12/2012 at 09:00
Nice one Jason.
08/12/2012 at 09:38
Just back from my hill 4 up 4 down still lots of ice and a very cold wind but a great view from the top and well worth the effort every week.
Enjoy your mud bath Jason.
Kaz hope your feeling better soon x
08/12/2012 at 10:08
No Pain wrote (see)

USB (((((((XXX))))))) Lets all meet up mfor a few beers after VLM 2013

Phew!  Finally got my breath back from that huge hug.

Temperature was -2 here the other evening so I wore my heavier hat and a t-shirt under my long slleve top.  I'm sure I would have worn more last year so there must be some advantages to being a hormonal older woman  

I've fitted in 4 runs so far this week and should get into the mid-thirties with a long run tomorrow.  Rest day today as I am working 5 - 8 tonight due to staff shortages and the rest of the day is pretty full too. 

08/12/2012 at 14:04

LOL at USB, last year myself and my OH met up with Fiona, I just missed Mr Spoons but it would be nice to meet up for a few beers or even something to eat as over the years we have all supported each other and I thought it would be nice. I remember the only time I met you as I ran passed and you handed me a gel in the VLM that was back in 2010 I think.... There is a few on here doing VLM and I'm sure that between now and April we will all have our up's and downs it's the nature of the training......

08/12/2012 at 15:09

That did make me smile HM4, I'd be here until about April waiting for 5 degrees!  As the others say lots of layers are best. I wear ski thermals under my run tights/long sleeved top when it is cold.

I remember that NP, the condesation on the back of my gloves (3 pairs) froze by the time I'd done my long run and it was really pretty! Nice running on that hill. I'm happy to meet/eat with any folks who are around after VLM.

Take care kaz, sounds like you need a proper rest!

4 miles for me sort of fartlek. WIll do a bit more tomorrow, got a 10 mile turkey trot which should be fun! Will try to do a few more miles to get to 40 for the week.

08/12/2012 at 18:07

12 windy wet miles today (with only one pair of tights )

Enjoy your mud baths and hill runs Jason and NP

Now off for a quick dip before hot tub and "Polar Bear" (outdoor swimming group) party

08/12/2012 at 19:24

Well done on the runs, Bridget

Fiona- well done on the farlek- enjoy the Turkey trot

NP- You'll wear that hill out

OH- I thought I was mad.......

I'm going to pick up a takeaway curry in a bit, but deserve it after a busy day. First, the mudbath in Builth- fell over when I sank almost to my knee in a mud filled hole, but didn't hate it quite as much as normal. Still no good at it though! LOL!.Then a nice run along the River Wye while I was there. I would have liked to have explored further, but didn't want to be left in Builth by the tem minibus! Then a nice leisurely run this evening as it was such a nice evening. Total of 16.5m for the day

08/12/2012 at 19:26

Stuart that's still way more than I'd squat. Hope the spinning went ok...

jason hope you made your way through the mud ok today

Minni thanks - great opportunity

Kaz ! Hope you rested today. Take care...

NP good work on the hills

USB enjoy the LSR tomorrow

Fiona well done on the fartlek and good luck for the race tomorrow

HM did you manage to get out for a run? I didn't actually get outside at all today...

OH nice 12 miler and have fun tonight!

----

3k on the rower (tried to pull only with the body and avoided putting pressure on through the knee), then press-ups - up to 100 now.  Arms now shot, and I'm scared I won't be able to lift a glass tonight.

08/12/2012 at 19:27

jason sorry x post - great running!!

HM4
08/12/2012 at 21:09

Kaz,

Thanks.  I'm  really a warm weather runner at heart however refuse to give up on trying to get something done during the winter !

Tek,

I did actually!!!!!!  Not had chance to post it on Fetch get or look at my Garmin however it was in the minimalist shoes (Puma H Streets) so really short.  Will hopefully post some details tomorrow.

08/12/2012 at 21:22

Good to see we're all still "dedicated" enough to be out in wintery weather

Jason had a mudbath, I had the ice version with a stunningly beautiful, if treacherous and bonkers at times 11-miler from Storey Arms, climbing to the ridge below Corn Ddu, running said ridge, descending a loose rocky stream bed to cross the valley below Neuadd Rsvrs, climbing the Gap Road then taking the path over Cribyn, Penyfan and Corn Ddu. A bit of wilderness running over frozen bog to finish. Was on my backside coming off Penyfan sliding down the mountainside. Fairly slow going due to trail conditions but was well worth it

View towards Corn Ddu from Penyfan:

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/298424/gallery/p081212_10.36.jpg?width=350

View of ridge we ran along at start of the run [around 2 miles although that passed quickly when concentrating on the icy path with a drop of several hundred feet a few metres away

/members/images/298424/gallery/P081212_10.36_.jpg

Edited: 08/12/2012 at 21:24
08/12/2012 at 21:24

Odd... can't get it to display other images, just shows a link once posted [although it's okay when initially inserted]. Any ideas anyone? 

Edited: 08/12/2012 at 21:38
HM4
08/12/2012 at 21:41

Jay,

That first photo looks awesome.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.