2012 Marathon thread

5,821 to 5,840 of 6,126 messages
08/12/2012 at 21:49
Jay- that's a lovely route. Didn't realise there was that much snow on the Beacons yet
09/12/2012 at 10:40
Kay great running and great photos the view must be fantastic from the top on a clear day.
Jason well done on the mud bath and 16 for the day.
OH can anyone pop round and use the hot tub?
Teknik well done on the cross training hopefully you will be back running soon.
HM4 don't let the cold stop you.
Well I was a a works party last night just over 60 miles round trip so had a sleep in this morning heading out the door now for 14 miles
HM4
09/12/2012 at 13:26

NP,

Thanks. Hope you had a good run.

09/12/2012 at 14:34

15 miles d&d in the morning sun very nice.

09/12/2012 at 16:29

Jason - plenty of snow, albeit with a hard frosty surface. That at least gave some grip. Along the ridge and on top of Pen Y Fan it was sheet ice in places, which made it a bit dicey to say the least!

NP - Nice running and yes, the views were stunning. Could see the Black Mountains and Sugar Loaf in the distance. Hope the Xmas party was worth the trip

Thinking about going out for a short night run later, although I've still got to put the Xmas tree up this evening too

Edited: 09/12/2012 at 16:33
09/12/2012 at 16:44

jayc - what an awesome run. Well done on the 11m. Good luck with the Xmas decorations...

NP - great running

HM - well done for getting out on a run yesterday

---

4k on the rower today.  I've decided to bin the plans for Hamburg, as it's only 18 weeks away now, and I don't want the added pressure of getting back to running too quickly. 

So, looks like Halstead again on 13 May - I need the extra few weeks in base as my HR is back to what it was in July. Won't be a fast one, but they bloody owe me a sub4...

09/12/2012 at 17:13

NP- Nice early running

Jayc- still no decorations here....

Teknik- sorry about Hamburg, but it's got to be the right decision. Nice rowing!

16m done and dusted here. Same route as last week, but horribly strong and cold headwind on the way back saw me run the same route as last week 1.38 slower for the same effort (if not more). Plan was to run the last 4m at around 6.30 pace, but it is a coastal path that is totally exposed and  I couldn't get the last 3m below 7.00 miling! 1m warm down to finish, so 17 for the day. Splits for the 16 tell the sorry tale: 16m in 1.52.47 (7.03 av) 7:19 7:10 7:05 7:11 7:10 7:11 7:09 7:04 6:48 6:53 6:54 6:47 6:46 7:01 7:19 7:00

09/12/2012 at 17:58

JCM - that looks an incredible run - haven't been there for years

Nice going NP

09/12/2012 at 18:41

jaycm amazing photos. Looks bright too!

Teknik hope you managed to lift that glass and did not have to revert to a straw!

jason well done on the muddy xc.

NP great long run and a fast few miles near the end!

Turkey Trot for me. It was never going to be a fast one as blowing an absolute gale with horrid strong gusts. Also very cold. Had long sleeved top, tshirt, Gore waterproof and never got too hot, only one pair of gloves and one hat tho'!

Mile 1 a nice gentle incline, short steep hill then stunning views to the East (7:29), mile 2 we started to get the cross winds, I actually got blown into someone's driveway and almost fell! (7:22) Mile 3 we headed down out of town and West along the coast (7:15), miles 4 (7:37) and 5 (7:25) running more into the wind and a gentle slow incline all the way, stopped for a mouthful of water at 3.5 mile mark, mile 6 turned down past Gordonstoun school and thank crunchie the wind was on our backs and downhill (7:09), mile 7 turned back East and the cross wind on the other side of me so at least wind burn would be even but a bit of shelter on this stretch (7:11), mile 8 fully exposed to cross winds (7:17), mile 9 back into the wind a bit (7:24) and mile 10 totally into the wind, just brutal and felt like I was not moving although putting about twice the effort I did into the last mile (7:25). So finished in a very poor 73:34, did a mile cool (freeze) down then met a few folks for a post race coffee - the organisers had provided so much food! Then went to get changed and back for one last coffee when they started the prize giving. Good job I was sitting down when they said I'd won 2nd FV or I'd have fallen over!! £10 cash too.  

F

09/12/2012 at 19:47
Great running Fiona in poor conditions and well done on 2nd FV, just out of intrest did you have the 1st FV in your sights
Teknik that's right decision I was gutted when I pulled out of VLM the week before last year but you know when it's right.
Jason great long run again the wind it's never easy when running into it but your looking in great shape looking over the splits.
HM4
09/12/2012 at 19:47

Tek,

Thanks.

Fiona,

Well done on the placing

-----------

Well done on everyone's training.

09/12/2012 at 19:53

NP - the only lady that I saw I overtook in the last half mile! The others would have been in having a coffee by then!

Teknik are you able to defer your Hamburg place until 2014? Very sensible decision.

jason I know that feeling, I should have been 7:06mm and ended up +31s on the worst mile.

F

09/12/2012 at 22:03
Fiona- nice result! My worst mile was + 49 today!!!
NP- cheers, mate happy enough at this point. I seem to have gained a few pounds, but retained the same pace. Hoping for better when I shed the extra!
61.94m for the week in 7.43.02. Building nicely
09/12/2012 at 22:09
Nice mileage for the month Jason, I'm down 1 1/2 lbs in the last 3 weeks now 11stn 2lbs with about 1lbs been plaster lol should get back down to about 10stn 7 or 8lbs before April just by eating normally and putting in the training.
Starting to add a bit more speed/tempo sessions in this build up.
09/12/2012 at 22:33
NP- still the wrong side of 12 and a half here
10/12/2012 at 08:52

Nice running all.

Tek - wise decision, good luck mate.

10/12/2012 at 10:22
50 lengths front crawl this morning recovery run later this afternoon along the trails.
10/12/2012 at 16:34

Hi Guys,

I decided not to run over the weekend. I felt very tired. Lulu ( new dog ) has tired me out a little and I thought I would have a down week of only 25 miles before picking up the training again in ready for spring marathon. I was due to do a 10k with Mrs AGF on saturday but in the end I took the dog for a long walk whilst the race was going on making sure I saw the start and MRs AGF finish. She did a 7 Minute PB to come in at 59:18 and beat the hour . At the same time Lulu ran through mud/puddles and chased a ball etc   .....so all in all an excellent weekend.

Today has been 8.94 Miles. Half  of this on my own followed by a cross country run with lulu ....more mud

Kaz, I hope your feeling better !!

Teknik, Sorry to hear about Hamburg - hope the cross training is going "ok"...and the hot Yoga !!

OH - nothing wrong with Party Season - hope you enjoyed your birthday !

Jason - I am the same as you - not got the tights outs as yet )  I save that for special occasions   shorts are fine so far !!!  Sounds like you earnt the curry !!

Jayc - Looks lik eyou had a fab run !! Love the piccie

Fiona - well done on the second place in the Turkey Trot.  Sounds very windy indeed....hope the £10 went on a nice botle of red to celebrate and warm you up !!

NP - some super running for the week. Nice 16M and swimming too !! I bet you will be pleased when the plaster comes off.

Stuart - hows the niggles?

All this talk about weight ...I need to lose some. I am 12:10 at the moment and want to be sub 12 by the time brighton comes around !! Hopefully increased mileage and good nutrition will sort that. Only a few years ago I was 16 Stone

Edited: 10/12/2012 at 16:47
10/12/2012 at 19:19

AGF Tell the OH well done on the massive PB sounds like you and Lulu had a great time over the weekend and nice running.

5 miles recovery run today all nice and easy.

10/12/2012 at 20:05

Hi guys long time no speak.

Finally got my mileage up to 30 mpw again ,most of it easy pace with 3 gym sessions as well,got my weight back down to 11st 10 and im really happy with that and thats where i want it too stay,what i have noticed is when i was the same weight in the summer i looked a bit gaunt in places but with the gym sessions i can see a bit more muscle tone and im feeling a lot stronger when running as a result of that.

Havent ran outside in over a week and have done all my runs on the tready as  i  nearly came a cropper slipping on some ice halfway through an 8 miler,i dont see the point of risking a serious injury just to get the miles in,ok the tready comes a poor second to outdoor running but for now it will have to do,the snow and ice is mostly away now so im back out on the road tomorrow.

Quick question about the tready,does 12 k per hour equate to 8 min/mile pace?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.