2012 Marathon thread

81 to 100 of 6,126 messages
18/11/2011 at 14:03

rachael leach wrote (see)

Might sound daft but I'm only up to six miles at most because I cant run "slowly" not that Im super fast but I always seem to do the same speed, and can't slow down because then I feel I need to walk!  How can I make myself slow down? 

Hi Rachel, I think its a mindset thing. In the early days you need to have a mindset of "today I am going to run for an hour at the slowest speed I can go"  or think " Today I am going to run for an hour and get back feeling the freshest I possibly can"

If you do this you will run slower. you may need to remind yourself every minute. 

However if you do this enough you will find that on other runs you can run / will have the energy aerobic capacity to run faster than the speed that you currently run at. Your body will be better rested and better prepared to run faster. Sound sweird - but worked for me.....

Good luck

18/11/2011 at 20:03
Thanks for the advice guys.  I have a "long"  run planned for sunday so will try out changing my mindset to run slower I'll let you know how I come along.
20/11/2011 at 18:47

Edinburgh marathon for me....  happy just to finish, put 6 hours on my entry but would like 5 1/2 or there about... cant imagine managing to jog for 5 and a bit hours but suppose the training starts now!!  I have been jogging since August so a complete beginner.  Starting to push my effort up Tue 7.3, Wed 8.5, Fri 5.6 and today managed a slow 11.5 (1hr 58!!), I am finding it hard work, but these forums are helping.   I really want to achieve this so fingers crossed for uninterrupted training! I am not getting any younger (41) Have I bitten off more than I can chew...??  Hope not!!

20/11/2011 at 19:38
Good luck jennie. Sounds like your doing really well. Don't worry about speed, your doing the right thing by concentrating on upping mileage slowly. You have plenty of time and the fact you can already do 2 hrs is great. Keep up the good work!!
20/11/2011 at 20:08
How did you get on today Rachael?
20/11/2011 at 20:59

Hi Minni today went well.  I managed to slow down abit and felt like I could have gone a bit further at the end of the run today rather than my usual "can't take another step" feeling! I have a rest day planned tomorrow, but Tuesday the plan says to do 5miles.  Consisting of 1mile jog, then 2x 1.5 miles fast ending with another 1 mile jog.  Think I might struggle with my pacing again on this!  I went shopping today and was looking at Garmins, does anyone use them and are they well worth the money?  Although Im hoping Santa will treat me!!  Hows everyone else coming along?

20/11/2011 at 21:26

Jennie, no, you've not bitten off more than you can chew. If you're up to 11 miles, you're already well into the distances that the training plans start - and you won't be doing that for at least another month yet! Keep on getting used to distances above 10 miles, and try to extend the mid week runs so that you've got that habit formed early.

I'll be turning 40 just prior to my 1st marathon next year, so if I can do it, so can you!

PB in a half today, under 2:20 (by 2 seconds, but under is under, regardless of margin). Which suggests I should be training for nearer 5 hours than 5.5. Golly, that's mighty quick (for me!)

Rachel, I ran for a number of years without a garmin, but decided that I'd get one this year. Had it a few months now and I love it! With a passion!! I'm completely the world's worst at judging pace, but this keeps me on track and gives me solid feedback on pace. And it goves it WHILE you're running, no waiting until the end and the clock to tell you that you were too fast or slow. There's something about the data that means you can't hide from it, and I like that almost brutal honesty from it. I went for the 205, as it does everything I need, but I'm completely in love with it. Used it today, and ran just the most excellently paced race (imho, obviously!) First negative split EVER, and finished like an express train! (I've had  a glass or two of rather good red, so you might want to ratchet back the enthusiasm a bit)

20/11/2011 at 21:50
I have a place at the London marathon and its my first marathon. I am excited and aiming for a sub 3hr30 mins time, have run a few half marathons previously.

Going into this my concern is injury but also I need to improve my diet and strengthen my core. I will look to be contributing actively and reading posts going forward.

You can follow my progress here (http://pete-tizard.blogspot.com/) and appreciate any support/advise given.
Edited: 20/11/2011 at 21:50
21/11/2011 at 06:48

Helen - Well thats a definate plus 1 for garmin then.  The one Im looking at is the 305 because I cycle aswell but I suppose I can just use the bike computer for most of the stuff I do on the bike.  Its  abit of a mine field choosing the right one! Well done on the PB, nothing better than seeing a visiable improvement is there!

Pete - Hi there are a few people on this thread new to marathons so I think it will be a learning curve for some of us, and this thread should be good motivation and a place to ping back and forth some ideas!

21/11/2011 at 08:32
Pete - what's your HM time?

Rachael - Garmin will sorting your pacing issues out. I use a 305 and have done for a few years now.
21/11/2011 at 09:21

Good luck Pete.

Well done helen, Congrats

Rachel, I have the 305 too. Great for me bur Mrs AGF thinks its too large on the wrist for her and cannot wear, so worth trying one on maybe. 

21/11/2011 at 10:00

AGF does make a good point. I have small wrists, and always wear the garmin over a sweatband. Otherwise it seems to press on the bones and is uncomfortable.

I'm going to be unbearable today, yesterday's happiness, but with extra energy.
*bounce bounce bounce*

21/11/2011 at 10:40

Rachael - yes definitely get a garmin.  You'll never look back.  I've got a 305.  Mine had two sizes of straps and its easy to change if you need the smaller one.  AGF When my smaller one broke I had to use the larger strap so wore it over a sweatband and it was fine. 

21/11/2011 at 10:51
Minni always wears wristbands and a sweatband like the guy from Dire Straits.....

Or maybe it's Kids from Fame
21/11/2011 at 10:54
OMG its true!     I'm an 80s kid at heart!
21/11/2011 at 10:56
HA HA!
21/11/2011 at 14:24

AGF / Helen,  Thanks for your support...  I love this forum. 

I will keep adding to the the miles bit by bit, just got to plan the route and not try and do too much too soon.   My Sunday run is without a time restriction so easier to be away for 2 - 2 and bit hours but I struggle in the evenings to have enought time.  I am determined not to go into this unprepared so I will keep at it...

Stupid question, but never having jogged for 26 miles before, what on earth do you do if you need the loo?  Are there toilets?  what if I stop and cant get my legs going again...  am I just being really stupid?  and oh my god, my stomach will wonder wha on earth has happened to its food supply...

BTW - I bought the Garmin 110, for me as a complete beginner it does the job.  Its easy to use, gives me my miles, average speed and time.

Feet up tonight!! 

21/11/2011 at 14:56

Hi can I join your thread?

I have signed up for the Paris Marathon in April 2012 - will be my first, i did my first half this year in 2hrs 44 - a bit of a plodder but i enjoyed it.

Just over 20 weeks to go for Paris............scared now!

21/11/2011 at 16:16
Jennie - there are either toilets or hedgerows to hide behind If you get hungry then eat. That's what I do

Hi RG
21/11/2011 at 16:17
Lots of folk on here and it's not even 2012 yet! This will get busy when the 2011 thread closes.....
81 to 100 of 6,126 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.