2012 Marathon thread

141 to 160 of 6,126 messages
30/11/2011 at 13:10

I ran the first run on my training plan last night. Only 79 more to go and I'll be stood on the start line of the Brighton marathon

30/11/2011 at 13:18

well done! im more nervpouse about trying to raise the cash for the charity...need ideas badly

Helen Liz wrote (see)

I ran the first run on my training plan last night. Only 79 more to go and I'll be stood on the start line of the Brighton marathon

30/11/2011 at 13:32
Mon- Hi. I've used P&D for my last 5 maras, albeit with a bit of personalisation. Solid plan as long as you stick with it
30/11/2011 at 17:11

Hi guys hows it going? Its blooming wild here tonight, no run for me going on the turbo trainer on the bike though.  Brizo, what about a charity quiz night? They usually go down well, or a raffle? Have you set up a just giving page? If you have facebook or twitter accounts then putting a just giving link on there could be quite worth while.  Just a thought.  How much do you need to raise?

30/11/2011 at 20:41
I'm signed up for Berlin. My first marathon! Eek
01/12/2011 at 11:09

Physio told me today that I have strained my quadratus lumboris... A muscle in my back, causing it to spasm, which is pulling my hip slightly out of alignment. Creating the pain in my butt!! Not allowed to jog until I can take a step without pain, but on the plus side... I have to sit with heat on it as much as possible so I bought myself a new hot water bottle for work!!  Will just relax and not get stressed about the mssing training days.... 

Lesson Learnt from this : WARM UP!!!  

01/12/2011 at 12:46
Ouch...wishing you a speedy recovery
01/12/2011 at 13:58

Thanks Teknik.  I will do as told...  Rest, heat and warm ups!!  Will work on Core stability in mean time..

01/12/2011 at 17:06

Brizo- how about baking some cakes and selling them at work- it usually goes down a treat

Teknik- yup, I can see how sticking to the mid week long runs and running big chunks at MP can be tough... Will see how it goes.

Jason- will be good to pick your brain in that case!

01/12/2011 at 17:24
toffeeliz- i ran berlin this year. really flat and amazing experience.
02/12/2011 at 16:18

Started my "warm up" schedule this week with 4 weeks to go before the marathon plan starts.  Did 8 x 800m - felt great at 0630. Now after a day slumped over my desk, my back aches and I feel sorry for myself. Great start.

@Toffeeliz: I ran Berlin this year too - really memorable event. If you can remember one thing between now and September, stick to the Blue Line (I ran nearly an extra mile weaving through everyone).

02/12/2011 at 18:13

Rach; got your Garmin yet ? How do you like it ?

Two runs for me this week; tried my first ever speed intervals on Monday; 5x 0.25 miles, with 0.25 rests between; hardwork !

Partner shas a cold /cough so she hasn't been able to get out at all...hopes to be fit on Sunday

What you lot up to ?

04/12/2011 at 15:04

Hiya guys.

Rob- I have the Garmin lol and its safe to say I love it! Did a 7 miler today using the litte virtual partner as a tool for slowing my pace abit.  It was really helpful! But the thing I love most is looking at the maps with the elevation points etc on it, its really interesting! Starting to sound abit sad now lol. Hope you have recovered from the speed sessions! 

Teknik have you stopped feeling sorry for yourself now? 

Jennie how are you coming along? Hope you aren't in much pain now, keep us notified how you are coming on.

Has everyone had snow today? My route takes me along a road around the middle of fell land and omg it was freezing! I had my hoodie, hat and gloves on and still blooming felt it! Next thing I'm running through a blizzard! It laid for a bit but seems to have warmed up slightly now, thankfully - I really dont like running in snow!!

04/12/2011 at 15:47

Hi Rachael

Yup...feeling better now. 9 miles with my running club on Sat, a few miles on treddie this morning watching Match of the Day.

Snow? Snow!  Wow. Not down here in Essex....

04/12/2011 at 16:48

Hi Rachael,

Bored!!  1st weekend off in ages with 2 cold but beautiful days for running and I couldnt..  Since physio on Thursday, I have continued to rest with lots of heat on my lower back.  It certainly got worse before it got better with Thursday / Friday being very unpleasant.   Today however I have managed to walk pain free at times although still twinging in my bum and lower back so taking it very slow.  Going downstairs is not fun, but all in all hugely better!! I have decided to lay off the running until after I see the physio on Tuesday just to make sure.  I really do not want another set back...   really hoping that being sensible for once helps!!  

Hoping the weather doesnt turn bad for me trying to get back into it...  Do you run in the snow?  I cant imagine doing it but you never know!!  Can you suggest a good water / windproof jacket, there are so many to choose from.

Jennie

04/12/2011 at 17:13

Crikey! It was cold & the wind has felt like it was direct from the Arctic, but no snow.

Week 1 training plan completed. Bounced round 10 miles today, felt really good. Loving the mad looks from the walkers - all done up in multiple layers, hats scarfs etc, and there's me in capris and a single layer still.

Yes, you can run in snow, although last year I did find myself running with a high leg lift, to pick each foot out of the snow and then drop it back in. Disclaimer - I'm not the most co-ordinated person, I imagine most people can run quite normally in it. Ice is more of a problem than snow - easier to slip and fall.

I'm not sure I see the point of waterproof, you just end up wet with sweat rather than rain. Anyway, skin's waterproof. Getting cold is more of a problem when it rains than keeping dry, imo. I usually just add an extra shirt.

04/12/2011 at 18:27

Holly,

I see your point and have to confess I was out in the cold, wet and wind last Sunday with only an extra layer on.  I suppose I will just have to play about.  To be honest I would rather spent the money on tops that are more frequently worn than a jacket thats less often worn!!

J 

05/12/2011 at 08:13

Well suppose Im up in Cumbria lol. Its melted this morning but more forecast for tonight - used to love snow but now Ive got too much to do for it to be any fun lol.

I ran in it last year - and bought myself a pair of grippier trail shoes which were nice but I draw a line when it turns icy like Holly Liz.  Also last year I ran through the fields in snow not a good idea because you cant see rabbit holes under snow.  I ended up falling down a hill covered in them and tree roots and lost my phone! So no off roading for me in it!!

I just wear a long sleeve windproof cycling top with sometimes a compression layer underneath to help keep warm.  Like Holly says with waterproof you get wet with sweat, and I find sweat makes you cool down alot more than rain does - though that could be just me?

05/12/2011 at 08:20

Rachael glad the garmin is helping.   We had 7 weeks of snow last winter so there was no option than to run in it.  None here yet but its very icy. 

LSR of 19 miles for me yesterday bringing it to 46 for the week. 

05/12/2011 at 10:09
jason d wrote (see)
Mon- Hi. I've used P&D for my last 5 maras, albeit with a bit of personalisation. Solid plan as long as you stick with it

Jason as you know P&D has worked for me and as for the personalisation just made it 21/22 weeks long with a bit of swimming thrown in

18.2 miles yesterday, nice. 72 miles for the week.

141 to 160 of 6,126 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.