2013 Marathon Thread

2,221 to 2,240 of 5,289 messages
19/04/2013 at 09:44

Nurse - i'm gutted for you  but admire your sensible decision. The training isn't wasted and the risk isn't worth it.

MG - nice batch of photos mate and the first one, where it looks like you're near the finish ( the fingers are on their way up !! ) with kids running behind is a cracker. Well done again !!

Stewart/Stuart - hope you're recovering well

NP - of course, the lady loves milk tray

jason - lol, i reckon my report took a good couple of hours in between watching some TV

Tek - i did a bit of stalking and found the video showing the 3:15 pacer crossing the line in 3:14:32 so pretty much as you say  I was also looking for a "backpack with big yellow flag" pacer but for some reason he just had a little yellow balloon.

Well after 4 days of gentle walking to and from work i did my first run as a marathoner  today. And it felt great, other than my quads grumbling a bit still

2.4M @ 10:45 @ 61%

19/04/2013 at 09:53

Brighton 2014 entries opened Tuesday ( first 2,000 got in for £50 ) I left it for a couple of days then had a look yesterday and it's gone up to £60. The last lot of guaranteed entries will be going up to £70 after that.

Although this is a great race and superbly supported, surely that's a ridiculous amount. I paid the £50 last year on the day entry opened and didn't mind with it being my first. But will i pay that again ? Probably not ....

19/04/2013 at 10:15

Getting excited for this week's racers now

Antwerp

Emmy - ?

VLM

Fiona C    28738

NP           30752

jason        32025

Johnas     31651 or 31615

Sophie B ? Adam K ? Sweatband ? Brer R ?

Edited: 19/04/2013 at 10:16
19/04/2013 at 11:00

NN a hard decision I'm sure but probably the correct one

VLM

Fiona C    28738

NP           30752

jason        32025

Johnas     31651 or 31615

Brer_R       29084 (posted on SNOD thread)

Sophie B ? Adam K ? Sweatband ?

MG1
19/04/2013 at 12:48
NN sorry to hear your news , have seen how hard you have trained for it but maybe the right decision.
Mace, glad you liked the photo, yes the fingers are on the way up, elation and relief
The entry fee for Brighton seems bloody high, how do they justify it???
19/04/2013 at 13:12

Stuart you will.. Plenty of slow miles over the next few months will see you right...

MG loved the photos!!

((NN)) I'm gutted for you...but I think it's the right decision. Recover and rebuild for Abo - you'll be much stronger without shredding your legs and heart at VLM.

Jason nice recovery and strides

Mace great to get back out there. I agree Brighton is WAY over-priced

OH and HM hope you're ok

NP enjoy the park jog tomorrow

---

Massage and hot yoga this morning.  Off for a short recovery run this evening to keep things ticking over.  Oops, forgot to say - broke 1,000 miles ytd yesterday!

Edited: 19/04/2013 at 13:15
19/04/2013 at 13:36

Tek, nice hill work for a low HR great stuff, congrats on the 1000 miles 

Mace great photos mate, can't find any of me at Lochaber , I'm recovering well and getting out for easy runs in the sun nice recovery run 

Sophie, Brer, welcome and good luck

SM6, nice 5k run, and I'm confident you will get a sub 4 hour marathon

Jason, nice recovery enjoy the parkrun tomorrow

MG1, great photos, hope the run goes well today

OH, nice JS run 

NP nice 4 easy yesterday

NN, gutted for you you have worked so hard this winter and deserved a great race at VLM, as others have said it is probably the right decision, you will be fighting fit in six weeks and raring to go for a good crack at Abingdon

All those racing at the weekend good luck can't wait to hear how it goes

Yesterday I went to a body balance class it was tough on the quads but i did enjoy it, 2 miles with JS last night, most of the group were doing intervals, but there was no way I was doing them.

Today the sun was out, it was warm and only a gentle breeze, I couldn't waste the opportunity, so a gentle 5.5 mile run around the canal loved every step of it

19/04/2013 at 14:03

Night Nurse, your awesome first 3 months of training will mean that you have one hell of a base once you get going again.

Mace, I think Brighton is worth £60 as its an excellent race, excellent marshalling and support and a clear run. That said you had such a positive experience with your first race - it will do no harm to experience a different one in your next one and keep it fresh.

Exciting times for the London contingent. Weather looks fantastic for you. Cold at the start and warming slightly ( but not too much). Have a great race folks !!

19/04/2013 at 14:06
MG1- I will start my autumn mara buid up 12 weeks out
Sat on Paddington station waiting for others to arrive
19/04/2013 at 16:01
Jumping in on the thread here,
Just entered my first marathon portsmouth costal ??23 so good price!

Looking to run 3 times a week due to shift work and family life,

Anyone on here done this one?

Also need to look for a plan that will be realistic for me
19/04/2013 at 16:21

Just seen your pics Mace and MG ...brilliant  MG I am glad you enjoyed your marathon so much that you want to do another.

And mace  the quads will grumble for a few days yet 

AGF how are thing for you now, have you recovered from your injuries ?..

Stewart  I think you had a valid excuse skipping those intervals

sm6 I hope you are recovering well

OH nice running

Hm4 how are the pressups going ?

Tek great mileage, take it easy now

OH thanks and well done on the training

NP Fiona are we still on for tomorrow ? anyone else coming for coffee and cake,,,?

Hi Zoe,any recent race time to base a target on ? keep posting

Good luck everyone who is racing Sunday I guess Jason will be the first one to pass what colour vest do you run in Jason ? what time do you expect to get to half way ? I will be there on the side lines as still going up to watch my brother.

19/04/2013 at 16:32

Hi Gang!

Just popping in to wish everyone a great race on Sunday

19/04/2013 at 17:09

Nurse/Fiona/jason/NP - i've just realised you are meeting tomorrow and not Sunday  I wondered what all that with tea and cakes was about instead of booze ... now it makes sense. DAMN !!!!

I won't be in London until Sunday as a spectator, going up by train. Obviously if i lived a bit closer than 75M i'd make the effort tomorrow .... I'll be cheering you all on Sunday though

19/04/2013 at 17:49
Night nurse, my half marathon time is 2:12 so I suppose would be 4:30 for a marathon and would be happy with that, did you have a specific plan?
19/04/2013 at 18:05

Stewart - Good running, you seem to have recovered very quickly

Tek - Well done on traversing 1000 miles already! You're due a massive PB in a few weeks

Mace - 60 & 70 quid just for a run seems ludicrous to me. Especially if you have transport and accomodation costs on top of that. Well done on getting out for a run today!

Zoe - Welcome! 23 pounds is more like the price I'd accept paying for a marathon!

-------------

Went hill walking this afternoon. Climbed Ben Cleuch, which is 720 odd metres. Enjoyed myself until I fell and rattled my good ankle off a rock. Hope it's just bruised a bit. Meant to be walking again tomorrow, but I'll have to wait and see.

19/04/2013 at 19:02
Mace I will be in Chandos for a beer on Sunday
NN yes still tea and cake in the park at 5pm.
Well flight over went ok, got the Gatwick express to Victoria, wen to the hotel then mad our way over to the expo, had a bite to eat back to the hotel then pasta at a restaurant in an Italian restaurant at the back of Victoria Station. I enjoyed the expo had a good look at the addidas boost trainers bug thing they are far to soft and would lead to an injury.....
Looked at a few other marathons in different places but might have one in mind for December and if I could do 3 hrs in it I would be top 5 and wi my age group but need to look a bit deeper into that. Carb loading still but will ease up so I'm not to bloated tomorrow nigh.

Hope everyone else arrived feeling good.
19/04/2013 at 20:18

Good set of photos and looking strong all the way MG1

I thought Loch Ness was pricey at £48 although this does include significant logistics to achieve a one way marathon.

Compare
Langdale £18 (2 laps of loop)
Loch Katrine £18 (There and back.  much of this went back to Alzheimer Scotland)
Cape Wrath £30 (includes boat!)
Snowdonia £30 (circular)

However actual cost of marathon palls into insignificance for us when you factor in transport costs Even (local) Cape Wrath involves us taking a car on ferry so well over £100 before setting foot on Scottish mainland!

HM4
19/04/2013 at 21:15

NN,

I'm not doing them as fully as I was doing the challenge since completing it.  I've tried to do a full press up however it's too much for my shoulder as the plan was to start the challenge again put with full press ups.

Stuart,

Missed your post last night.  She was either going to or coming from Gatwick and the field out the back has got a small car park next to it & a very direct route to what she was visiting in Petersfield.

Tek,

I'm fine.  I'll hopefully be getting my running back on track starting from Sunday.

19/04/2013 at 23:29
Hi,

Just popping in to say GOOD LUCK everyone. NN gutted for you but sensible decision, and not any easy one.
20/04/2013 at 07:11

Stuart - sounds like fun, apart from the ankle

Zoe - welcome  Have a look on the SHADES training thread and introduce yourself. Shades has done a ridiculous number of marathons and she provides plans for people who are restricted time-wise so would be ideal for you. Like Nurse says though, hang around here as well

AGF - i know what you're saying, it does have great appeal just a painful price   I'll do it again.

NP - ok mate, that's in Trafalgar Sq ?? Would be great to meet up. I'll try and spot you from your profile pic but i should be easy to pick out ..... i'll absail in by helicopter through the front door all in black with a box of chocs under my arm

Just watching the 7am one hour C4 highlights from Brighton then i'll pop out for a slow couple of miles.

Edited: 20/04/2013 at 07:15
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.