2013 Marathon Thread

3,581 to 3,600 of 5,289 messages
19/07/2013 at 22:02

it all caught up with me a bit today! 14 mile cycle after work then struggled with my 5.6 mile run afterwards. Just too hot and I'd not eaten enough! Managed a slow 4 miles, so will finish the week with 48.4 miles rather than the planned 50. 50 again next week...

--------------

Jason, I think you'll soon accept that as a good decision!

Mel, I'm not brave enough to double up yet! done a few am runs in the past but it never quite stuck! might try again later in the summer when I have to do 60 a week!

20/07/2013 at 12:48

Hello peeps . Just back from holiday.  Internet connection has been a bit erratic, so I'm not sure I've kept up to date with everyone.   I managed to run every day - very early morning starts plus a few treddie sessions in the late afternoon, in the air-con.

Good news is the pace has increased significantly over the last couple of weeks. Just been for a short 3m recovery run - 8:12mm @67% maxHR

Mel - many of us on here are using / have used some version of Pfitzinger & Douglas' "Advanced Marathoning", with a few others using Hadd's heart rate training either stand alone or with P&D (see first article in this link http://web.mit.edu/ducktape/www/run/articles.html ).

I've canned my scheduled 18m Challenge run tomorrow - it doesn't start until late morning, and don't fancy running around Bedfordshire with a map and compass in this heat.  So up early for a LSR locally.

Not sure if Stuart and Mace are still racing tomorrow, but good luck if you guys are...

21/07/13 Dundee Half Stuart M
21/07/13 Dinosaur 10k Mace

Bon weekend! 

MG1
20/07/2013 at 13:06
Welcome back Tek
IC still nice toal miles for the week

19 m this morning in 2.47.29 at av 8.49, started cloudy but sun soon appeared and felt quite humid, fairly tough last few miles , think the last few days caught up woth me. 5 days of training until holiday time
20/07/2013 at 13:28

Well done on the 19 miles MG1, nice to at least start off with a bit of cloud.

Sounds like the holiday did you a lot of good Teknik!

Had a couple of days rest to let the piriformis settle down. Fine yesterday on an easy short run (with ibuprofen) then did 10 miles this morning drug free (!) and not bad so will get back to the usual training and lots of stretching and squats etc  Managed the whole of my run in the mist before the sun burned it off, very pleasant about 12 degrees.

F

20/07/2013 at 18:40

Fiona - Good run, hope the piriformis settled down.

Tek - Thats some pace at such a low HR, sounds sensible on the race front.

MG - Nice LSR, cracking pace for it too. Do you have a time goal for your autumn mara?

IJ - Nice total for the week

------------

Rest day for me today, sorta. Got roped into going paint balling as my brother was a man short, so have spent a few hours diving and rolling about in mud Have a few bumps and bruises, probably not the cleverest thing the day before a half.

No real goal time for tomorrow, PB would be nice but not expecting anything.

MG1
20/07/2013 at 19:10
Fiona well doen earlier, good to see the injury seems to have settled down
SM6 hope the paintballing was fun, good luck tomorrow , looking at approx 3.40 or a bit less in October which hopefuly is doable
HM4
20/07/2013 at 19:58

Tek,

Good to hear you had a good weekend.

Fiona,

That sounds encouraging.

------------

No running for me this weekend.  Went for a walk into town this morning to try & sort out a broken opal engagement ring & have come back to Chris with options ranging from £25 for a new claw right up to £150 approx for a new custom designed ring, although waiting for a price from another jewellers of ring off the shelf with an opal stone instead of a cubic zirconia solitaire stone.  Tomorrow is likely going to be preping the bathroom for decorating on Tuesday.

Edited: 20/07/2013 at 19:58
20/07/2013 at 20:00

MG - Weren't you close to 3:40 at Rotterdam? 

MG1
20/07/2013 at 20:45
SM6, 3.47 in Rotterdam but i think i am lighter and feel like i have improved now, hopefully my 2 weeks holiday wont derail that progress, training gear will be travelling with me
20/07/2013 at 23:10

Good luck tomorrow mace and Stuart! I hope the conditions are good for you.

MG1 the holiday will do you good, just loo what it did for Teknik!

Think I have some weird itching disease! Legs and arms have a rash and it is torture trying not to itch it especially with it being so warm!  

F

21/07/2013 at 10:23

IJ well done on the week's total

MG well done on the 19m long run.  I think Stuart is hinting that you should see a bigger chunk coming off that mara time...or else you're running your long runs too fast.

Fiona nice 10 miler - glad the piriformis seems better.  I've got heat rash too...cold baths and clarityn.

Stuart sounds a whole lot of fun - hope the Half goes ok

HM nice day's shopping.  Hope it's not too hot sorting out that bathroom.

---

Got up early and out for the long run. 19m @ 8:35mm av.  HR averaged 72%max and I ran with a 75%max ceiling.  Not too hot here so it went very well. 

Weekly stat fest: 67.5m (+9.1m) in 9h41, avg. 8:37mm (-0.03) avgHR 70%max (unch.)

21/07/2013 at 10:46

MG1 well done on your long run, there was a 24hr race here around a track, I don't know how these guys did it in the heat...

Fiona I'm glad that the issue with the piriformis  has settled down, well done on yesterdays run. Are you wearing your gloves to stop you itching

SM6 good luck with the race today.

Teknik that's you back with a bounce nice long run and weekly stats.

Well did the Ecos Park run yesterday 6th overall and 1st in age group 18:54 so 5 seconds faster than last week but with heavy legs. And just home from a nice trail run.

21/07/2013 at 10:47

And forgot 6/7 hours on my feet last night watching Bruce Springsteen, fantastic concert

21/07/2013 at 12:36

Hi All, flying visit while I am in Tesco and have internet access! My router has died at home and have to wait 3-5 working days for new one to arrive From Orange.... Just thought I'd let you know that still here! 20m nice and steady for me this morning in mid 20s..... 4m recovery run later should see this being the highest week of the campaign so far at around 110m Talk when I can....

21/07/2013 at 13:42

Jason - Mega total this week, well done. Good long run today in the heat

NP - Well done on the parkrun, and sounds like a good night watching the Boss

Tek - Impressive total for someone whose been on holiday Nice HR and pace for the 19

Fiona - I have similar on my legs and the back of my hand, really irritating.

MG - I actually thought you were 3:43 at Rotterdam, although I have have got that mixed up as 3:43 was roughly what I was attempting at Lochaber that day... But yeah, like Tek says if you're running 19s and 20s at that pace I thought you'd be looking more at 3:2x

-----------------

Dundee half today. Felt like crap when I got up, was very close to staying in bed. Mood didn't improve when I got stuck in the most ludicrous bottleneck ever, that went on for about 3k. Look me nearly 18 minutes to clear 2 miles!

Sped up a lot once I got clear air in the next few miles. They were downhill too, so think I knocked in a couple of 6:40s. Tried to force a bit of pace the next couple of miles but by half way realised that either I didn't have it in me, or really didn't want to put in the effort and slowed a fair bit. Likely a bit of both.

Since we getting plastic cups of water at the water stops (and by now I was just on a hard training run) I decided to just walk through the final 2 and talked to a few folk as I ran along.

Eventful finish as I nearly turned off the course onto the beach and then, 10 seconds later, nearly got iced by a bus while I was on the grass.

Garmin time of 1:39:13, so well off my PB, but actually fairly happy with that. I've not ran myself into the ground, and despite being downhill it's not a fast course. We were running into the wind for pretty much 12 miles, not really an issue today as it wasn't very breezy.

Not a great course, and unless you're properly fast you'll get jammed in a bottleneck somewhere but a really nice last mile or so, especially in this weather

21/07/2013 at 14:14

Stuart - well done with the race. A sub 1:40 is very good if were not maxed out. A good session that. 

Sorry I have not been around much guys. Been a busy week - so good that it was a cut back week. Only 43 miles this week - so I feel relatively fresh - which is good.

Mel asked me a question about my 70 miles a week for the previous 4 weeks. These were mainly base miles - but with one faster session each week. Eg intervals or tempo run etc.  I have 7 weeks left before taper so will try and get between 60-70 miles each week with one good faster session and a long run as stanard and then probably doubles fitted around my working day. 

Great to see some good parkruns and longs runs by the regular contributors on the thread. Hopefully the niggles that some folk have will start to dissapear with the cross training and core work that is taking place

Keep healthy folks and enjoy the good weather

MG1
21/07/2013 at 15:16
NP well done on the result and trail run today
Jason fantastic mileage this week !
SM6 nice half earlier, still a good time taking everything into account i might be too conservative on goal time and perhaps i can aim for something lower, long runs have included faster miles
AGF nice easy week compared to recent one s

4 m easy this morning, 43 for the week
21/07/2013 at 15:35

Well done Stuart, great result in the circumstances. Sounds like you enjoyed your day.

Good weekly totals MG1, AGF & Teknik. A rubbish week for me but there's always next week!

NP I forgot you were going to see Springsteen, you'll be tired after that! Well done on the parkrun!

Feeling out of sorts this morning, could not sleep for itching! I should be wearing oven mitts!! Sore ears now too  so decided to give today's run a miss and get back on track tomorrow. May go try that cold bath!!

F

21/07/2013 at 16:02

Welcome back Tek, I noticed on fetch you've been running while on holiday, look like some nice coastal routes, a good long run today and stats are good as always

MG, nice long run and at a good pace too

Fiona Nice 10 yesterday glad the piriformis is behaving itself, hope the cold bath does the trick with the itching

NP, a cracking time for your parkrun, well done mate

Jason cracking long run and weeklt mileage

SM, shame about the HM and it being a bit slow for the first few miles, still a good time for a hard training run

AGF, good that your feeling fresh after your cutback week, 

MG, a good reciovery run this morning and totals for the week

------------------------------------------------------

not been on for a few days but I'm still running, 9 days on the trot never done more than 6 before, and the legs are feeling tired,  Fridays run was meant to be easy but I was running late for class to had to push the last few miles, Saturday was a recovery run before the cricket, and today was my long run, 20 hilly miles and the legs were feeling a little beat up once I had finished

Stats: 20.09, 3:45:35, 11:14mm, 148(77%)

Weekly: 57.3mi,  9:58:46, 10:27mm, 146(76%)

21/07/2013 at 19:07

HI Everyone. Looks like lots of you have been doing some super running! I've been off sick this week but did a 15k today as part of the Clapham Common 2013 race series. Placed last out of just over 100 runners and finished in a time of 1.47.23. I was actually quite pleased with this time, considering it was my first 15k in about 4 years and i am 20 weeks post c-section. Onwards and upwards!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.