2013 Marathon Thread

3,681 to 3,700 of 5,289 messages
29/07/2013 at 20:30

Fiona, senslble not running,  good on you for donating , I hope they made a fuss of you and gave you tea and biscuits after 

HM4
29/07/2013 at 20:38

AGF,

Sounds like a good weekend.  Well done.

Tek,

It does seem a bit better however still niggley.

Fiona,

Sounds like a wise decision.

-------------

Well done on everyone's training.  We had a lot of rain last night and it looks like the weather has broken as it was 18C on the way home tonight (7ish).  Lets hope it's cooler than that during the night.

29/07/2013 at 20:40

HM4 get some volteral gel I used it when I had my tendonitis, its great stuff and will reduce any inflammation

Edited: 29/07/2013 at 20:40
29/07/2013 at 20:51

Fiona- well done for giving blood. Like NN says, good decision not to run too. Expect your HR to be a bit higher when you do too until you make up the lost volume.

7 5m of a hilly loop today, sports massage and 10 mins of core work with the medicine ball- felt much longer

29/07/2013 at 21:45

There was certainly a huge plate of biscuits NN, they are nice folks there.

Interesting on the HR Jason, makes sense. Well done on the core work - reminds me I should do some!

Edited: 29/07/2013 at 21:45
MG1
30/07/2013 at 05:14
Just catching up a little since arriving in Lombok, appologies if i miss anyones running recently.

Jason - another super weeks mileage , well done
Channon, well done on getting through the 10 the other evenning
AGF great report , that sounded pretty challenging !
Tek , nice 20 there
NN well done on your 14 after just 4 hours sleep
Fiona good for you on blood donation

Now here on third day of holls, managed a 50 min , approx 5.5 m ( didnt bring garmin ) run along the beach at sunset which was amazing but really hard running on sand, decided to run in trainers instead of barefoot to try and avoid injury, very very hot here even then. The recent warm weather back home certainly helped acclimatise!
Hope to repeat each day to keep ticking over along with trying to improve my swimming technique!
MG1
30/07/2013 at 06:35
If anyone wants a good holiday book on training and exercise try 'The First 20 Minutes' by Gretchen Reynolds . A good read about exercising better and smarter.
30/07/2013 at 13:31

NN well done on the hilly 14.25m - nice HR print on so little sleep !

Fiona well done for giving blood - the meal sounded lovely

HM the heavens opened up over here too

Jason well done on the hill work and medicine ball - I must get back to those press-ups

MG well done on the beach run - hard work !

---

14.9m MLR this morning - 5m on the road on my own, 6m through the woods and park with the club, then 4m tarmac home. Averaged 71%max and just under 9mm pace. I pushed the last couple at around 8mm without the HR exploding, so happy with that.  Absolutely drenched but glad it's a lot cooler.

HM4
30/07/2013 at 19:35

NN,

Thanks.

Tek,

It looks like it's starting to warm up a bit.  One thing I love about UK weather is it's always a source of conversation!

------------

Well done on everyone's training.  Can't wait for the weekend as no decorating because the cat's going to the vets for her annual jab so hopefully I'll get out for a run. (Providing she doesn't get any reactions to it - although the vets have changed what they give her so we should be okay.)

30/07/2013 at 21:31
first (intended) run of holiday - last 15 miles of the West Highland Way today. Good but tough going.
Also some sea kayaking and a bit of hill walking.
Some good training going on Tek
JSN MG1 NN ...
30/07/2013 at 21:37

MG1 sounds great, well done running on sand in the heat and humidity. I recall doing mile laps of an island in the Maldives and pulling a calf muscle in the sand so take care!

Teknik a good MLR for a Tuesday! A nice mix.

HM4 hope all goes well at the vets.

Running with the group tonight. Meant to be 12 lots of 1 minute fast/slow but I only lasted for 5 and felt really breathless.  Pathetic really and decided to jog back. Must do more speedwork but it's a start.

OH sounds like a great start to your hols!

F

Edited: 30/07/2013 at 21:38
30/07/2013 at 22:56

Fiona - you and me both regarding the speedwork.I don't think i would have even lasted 5. My mum used to jokingly say that i was built more for comfort than speed but one day i'll prove her wrong!

OH - sea kayaking sounds so much fun!

HM4 - all the best with your cat. what kind is she?

Teknik - great running. always inspiring to read your posts

Rested today as niggles still not getting better. voltaren on shoulder tonight and a diclofenac before bed. My body just doesn't want to play ball - or maybe its my mind...either way....whichever it is will just need to get on board. i'm a runner now darnit!

30/07/2013 at 23:13

5 miles steady with the club tonight; warm and muggy. Everything hurt, ankles, calves, thighs, and mentally pooped, but all good prep for the 5k tomorrow. Dare I try sub 7 minute pace?!

31/07/2013 at 10:41

HM very true

OH well done on the WHW run - nice mileage

Fiona sounds like they took all the blood from your legs ! I bet you'll feel better today

Channon hope the shoulder's easier today

IJ good steady 5m. Go for it on the 5k - I think you should always try to start fast on a short distance race, and hope to hang on

---

1.5m warm up then 8m at maraHR.  Managed 7:48mm, HR a few beats too high towards the end, but happy enough.

31/07/2013 at 12:41

Hope you feel better today Channon and that the aches have gone IJ.

Teknik nice mara HR run. Think you're right about the blood! Chatting to a runner who donates and it can knock the pace for a while. Lots of healthy eating should soon fix things.

F

HM4
31/07/2013 at 17:43

Fiona,

Thanks.

Channon,

She's just a moggie however with some of her physical & personality traits she has some Bengal cat in her (possibly a grand parent cat) and Bengals have a natural immunity to cat luekemia & this is the part of the jab which upsets her.

---------

Well done on everyone's training.

31/07/2013 at 19:49

MG1- DEFINITELY a good idea to keep the trainers on for running on the beach- your Achilles will be under a lot of stress otherwise...

Tek- nice running

Fiona- my speedwork sessions start next week.... not looking forward to them, but you are right- doing more is the answer to making them easier

Channon- resting the niggles is wise

IJ- run the pace you have trained for..

Taper madness here with this recovery week- lol! 8.12m done today- and that was it! Kept it late to give me something to look forward to!! In all seriousness, I know that the cutback week is important and it will benefit me....

July Stats: 434.67m in 55.16.43 (7.38 av)

Edited: 31/07/2013 at 19:50
31/07/2013 at 20:31

OH - close call on the midges, my worst nightmare. One of the feckers dined out on me Saturday evening andmy foot/ankle swelled like a balloon for 2 days costing me a weekend long run

Stuart - resting HR 40 above sounds like a virus ...

IJ - big pb. well done

HM4 - i can relate to "walking disaster" at the moment  soeedy recovery

Stewart - parkrun pb in a 16 miler !! Very well done, the mara training is bringing you along nicely

Tek - well done with the first 20, nothing bad in a 4hr pace @ 71% !? And an impressive mara run today

AGF - well done, sounds like a top weekend.

Keep up the great training all 

31/07/2013 at 20:50

Fiona enjoy refuelling

Jason great stats - hope you enjoyed the relaxed week

Mace hope you're ok fella

July Stats for me : 292.6m in 42h26 @ 8:42 av and av.70% HRmax. My biggest month ever !

Edited: 31/07/2013 at 20:50
31/07/2013 at 20:58

Tek- well done on the milestone! 

Mace- Avon Skin So Soft is the stuff- midges hate it! Our local Parkrun start has loads of them, but I haven't been bitten once since spraying the stuff

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.