AGF - sub 3:30 then GFA in October?

Mace well done on week 5 - enjoy the cut-back week

OH good XC running

Jason that's a great training pace improvement

Fiona nice easy 5m

HM thanks

NN well done on the controlled 18.5m. Good HR average...nice week's total

---

Snowed only a little here, but enough to put me off a long run, plus I thought that a tempo and long run back-to-back would be asking for trouble.  So just a slow 4m recovery this morning at 69%max.

14/01/2013 at 10:00

A sensible Choice teknik

I am shattered. I think the miles are catching up on me. A cut back week this week I think and a few early nights    I am probably ditching the weekend race I had planned and will turn that into a long run most probably. I have a 10k and a 1/2 that I plan to race before the big day and thing a low mileage week with a long run at the end will do me more benefit at this tage of training !!

Yes - I am Going for a sub 3:30 in Brighton.  The GFA thing is currently a dream - but we all need dreams and my thoughts are if I shoot for the stars in Autumn I might reach a hgher brnach on the tree I am climbing

14/01/2013 at 10:17

Lot of great running yesterday!

Jason - That pace for an LSR is crazy!

AGF - Great mileage

Tek - Great mileage too! Sounds like a sensible choice this morning

Stewart - Well done

NP - Well done on the 20

Mace - Good running

OH - Well done on the XC

NN - Nice run! Shame about the 0.1!

----------

12.6 miles for me at 9.13 ave. Felt crap for the 1st 8, then felt fantastic for the rest. Strange...

Anyway, I'm now seriously considering running Lochaber on April 14. Assuming I just pile up a lot of slow miles for the next 11 weeks, then take a 2 week taper is their any reason I shouldn't do this?

I know I'll not set a good time (still expect a comfortable PB!) but getting round in one piece would boost the confident no end for September.

14/01/2013 at 10:32

Go for it stuart. Lost of mileage - nice and slow to avoid injury will set you up no end for the autumn ( assuming you take a couple/few of weeks off to recover/refresh )

14/01/2013 at 11:08

Sounds a reasonable plan Stuart - Lochaber (mara) is flat too

14/01/2013 at 12:45

Stuart there are some 12 weeks plans so it isnt out of the question if you have already got a few decent longish runs in the bag..and you will have plenty of time to recover before starting training for the autumn marathon.I always feel better after a good few miles too ...weird..guess its all about warming up.

No snow here..just more rain !!

Rest day for me , good job really been waiting all morning for a bloody phone call which I probably wont get  dont you just hate it when they say the computers are down and they will ring you back then off to work at 2 so wont even have time for my monday swim..

14/01/2013 at 14:18
Enjoy your rest day NN. Hope you get the call.

A 7 mile jog for me today.... Dodging cars trying to splash puddles all over me.... With mixed success!!
MG1
14/01/2013 at 16:04
Training session in gym with trainer and a 3 mile easy run for me today, now away for 2 days with work so no training which is not good
14/01/2013 at 19:18

AGF- Enjoy the cutback

Tek- wise choice- don't go getting youself crocked again!

SM6- Do It!

NN- Hope you enjoyed the day off and the phone rang!

MG1- Can't you take your kit with you?

Nothing to report here- no snow or other dramas, just 2 recovery runs

14/01/2013 at 20:06

Great long run yesterday NN. Shame you missed your swim.

Good decisions there AGF and Teknik. AGF go for it at Brighton, no reason not to.

Stuart lots of time to train for a nice relaxed Lochaber.

MG1 hope you can pack the gear for a quick run when away.

jason nice to get the recovery runs in.

A recovery 4m for me this morning. Started to snow here, not much lying but slippy so a treadmill run tonight; 20 lots of 200m with 30s recoveries. 10 at 16k/hr, then the next 10 a mix up to 17k/hr.  Great fun, 5 miles total.

F

Edited: 14/01/2013 at 20:07
14/01/2013 at 20:13
Just 2 recovery runs Jason ... Your slacking super running as always

Wow, that's great speed Fiona.... Flying !!

I am going to go for it at Brighton.... I just do not know what "it" is yet the HM at silverstone in march will help tell me what my aim should be. The only trouble being its 2 days after getting back from a weeks holiday in Dubai for the wife's 40th... We will see what happens anyway...
Edited: 14/01/2013 at 20:14
14/01/2013 at 21:03

Slight bit of advice needed if possible:

So I'm training for London 2013, I'm using an ultimate marathon schedule found here in RW and it's been great so far. I'm on the fourth week now and my legs are feeling very tired. Its been an intense first 4 weeks, running 6 days a week and last weeks milage reached 46.

I started running at the beginning of 2012 but after a 10k race in september i stopped pretty much altogether and only just took it up again a week before i started the marathon schedule. So I didn't start with the recommended milage you should be hitting regularly.

So I've managed to keep to all the paces it's told me to and i've done all the distances it said but yesterday was my longest run of 15 miles and today my legs feel very tired, I did the 4 miles today as well but pretty much only just made it to the end before my legs collapsed. 

Now, I don't mind feeling like this if it just means it's working... but does it sound like I'm doing a little bit too much and should maybe cut back on the schedule for the next week to properly recover?

I'm not getting pain as i run, just a slight all over ache. The ache is only as i run but throughout the day they just feel tired. And this has been the general feeling of my legs for the last week and a half I would say.

What should I do?

Thanks for any suggesstions

Edited: 14/01/2013 at 21:05
HM4
14/01/2013 at 21:29

Well done on everyone's training & to those who've been running outside.

Yesterday was really cold so I did the sensible thing & stopped inside & had to scrap about 1cm of snow off the car this morning.

14/01/2013 at 22:40
Teknik, no point risking an injury, good recovery run
AGF, it is good to see that you are listening to the body, enjoy the cutback week
Good luck with lochaber, it's one I'm planning to do next year
MG1, relax enjoy the double rest days
Fiona, hope the interval session on the treadle went well
Jason, awesome running as always
HM4, you probably made the right decision

5 miles tonight in wet conditions cold but not slippy under foot
15/01/2013 at 06:19

Virex - I'm guessing you've picked the sub 3:15 Plan?  Can I ask what was your 10k time in September?

15/01/2013 at 06:42
Just tried my morning run- postponed after several attempts at finding an area NOT covered in sheet ice!
15/01/2013 at 09:21

not good jason

15/01/2013 at 09:23
Hi Teknik, thanks for your response. I ran the 10k in 40:15 but it was cross country so very hilly! I came 7th out of 80.

Yes it is the sub 3:15 plan i'm working from
15/01/2013 at 09:30
Virex, it sounds to me your overtraining. Take a day or two extra rest and start again. Where from I do not though. The toughest part is getting to the start line without injury. Also try and get a few hours extra kip to help recovery

5 icy miles with the dog this morning
15/01/2013 at 09:52

Virex, i'm guessing you've got age on your side as that's a decent 10k time for somebody who has just taken up running.

What sort of mileage were you doing up to your 10k ?

I tend to agree with AGF and you don't have enough base/endurance  - 3 months off for a relative newbie and you're jumping into a plan and hitting decent mileage already. Too much too soon ?

Tek - wise man !!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.