2013 Marathon Thread

381 to 400 of 5,289 messages
15/01/2013 at 11:42

Lots of great training going on yesterday Fiona your intervals where very good after my swim 54x25m front crawl I had a CBA day...

Jason nice ice running same here this morning so I ran on the road.

Virex can I ask whats your age and what is the longest run you have ever done? Your 10k time suggests 3:15 but if you havn't run further than 10 miles in the past you wont have enough endurance in your legs, but by running the 6 days a week and building the miles in this phase your building your endurance base, we all get tierd during this time its natural but it will improve over the next couple of months but dont be afraid to miss a day and take a days rest.

First of two runs done today 7 miles off footpath due to ice.

15/01/2013 at 11:42

AGF - sensible decision re: cutting back. Hope a few early nights will do you good. Dubai sounds like a mini-taper for Silverstone...

Stuart nice 12.6m.  I agree with OH and the others - do a slow, sensible, even-paced Lochaber and you'll be a good place for Nessie. 

NN hope you enjoyed the rest

MG nice easy 3m

Jason - not good!!  Hope you can get out this evening

Fiona great treddie intervals

HM stay warm

Stewart well done on the 5 miles

Mace - thanks. Are you still doing Hadd subLT's or are you now fully P&D?

NP nice start to the day

---

Work getting in the way here so just a 5 miler off-road this morning at sub70%max. Snow but no ice

Edited: 15/01/2013 at 11:44
15/01/2013 at 11:49

Virex I agree with AGF, Mace and NP. That's a quick 10k time but I see from your profile you've been running less than 20 miles a week, so endurance is going to be an issue.

Take a day or two off.  You might want to ditch the intervals for a while (and replace them with some slow easy miles).  Maybe dial all the paces back by 20 to 30 secs per mile, and re-assess after you've done one of the Half races in the plan...2.29x your half is the male first-timer average...

15/01/2013 at 12:44
Teknik wrote (see)

Virex I agree with AGF, Mace and NP. That's a quick 10k time but I see from your profile you've been running less than 20 miles a week, so endurance is going to be an issue.

Take a day or two off.  You might want to ditch the intervals for a while (and replace them with some slow easy miles).  Maybe dial all the paces back by 20 to 30 secs per mile, and re-assess after you've done one of the Half races in the plan...2.29x your half is the male first-timer average...

Doh, why didn't i think of looking at his profile ... i said you was a wise man Tek

Fully P&D now mate. Will definitely be going back to HADD though. I was thinking during this morning's run in the pissing rain and freezing cold wind, how i'm looking forward to doing some nice 70% Sunday morning HADD runs along the seafront in the summer

Edited: 15/01/2013 at 12:49
15/01/2013 at 13:05
Hello everyone and thanks for all your advice! (Too many names to mention)

So I'm 22 and before my 10K i was doing about 20 - 25 miles a week.

Longest run i did in training for the 10K was 12 miles and that is the only race i've participated in so far. Big jump to the marathon i know but i'm very excited!

I think it's good advice to take a couple of days off this week, hopefully will recover nicely and get back to the routine after that!

Cheers guys
15/01/2013 at 13:07
And the amount of weekly milage on my profile is now outdated as ive been hitting 30 - 45 in the last few weeks haha
HM4
15/01/2013 at 17:27

AGF,

Well done.  I bet the dog was pleased with that.

Tek,

I intend to!  You guys know what I'm like with cold weather.

Virex,

Hi & welcome to the thread.

15/01/2013 at 17:42

Afternoon..

Well done everyone that managed to get out on the roads..as for Fiona..that is a mental session on the treadmill..brilliant  

Mace..ahhh those were the days eh?? I shall be back to a bit of hadding myself after VLM

No snow here, just a bit icy this morning that soon thawed though and had a bit of light rain while running...bloody cold though..

9 Miles with middle 4 @ LT 7.40..7.35..7..34..7,37

15/01/2013 at 18:31

11 miles including the icy muddy trail up our little local hill. Blue skies and bright sun. No snow. Jacket left at home

Well done to all those struugling to get out with the weather

15/01/2013 at 19:21

4.6 miles for me tonight. Bloody freezing out there. Rest day tomorrow.

Decided I'm going to sign up for Lochaber after I get paid at the end of the week.

15/01/2013 at 19:45

Virex a couple of years ago I trained with a guy who was in his early 20's who had a far faster 10k pb than me (I was about 48 years old at the time and was doing 3:11 in the marathon) every week he did the long run but never backed it up during the week with a few very easy runs and a tempo/speed session the reason was he said his legs where tierd. Marathon running and training is very diffrent from 5 and 10k training/racing 90% of it is mental, this will come over time and also as you get older. Where you are busted after a 10k because you push through whilst the lactate builds up and your lungs hurt, where as with a marathon its a grind and a journey and in two half, the first half is up to 20 miles and the second half from 20 miles up to the finish line. You have to be able to run the last 6.2 miles on tierd legs otherwise you will just want to stop and walk. I think most people on here would agree that at some stage during there first or second marathon that they have wanted to walk or in fact have walked. So how did they over come this the next time? Well its my guess that they did more miles in training and more longer runs which at some time ment having to run on tierd legs. If you have to take a day off take a day off if you have to run a faster training run slower run it slower

Teknik nice off road run.

NN Well done on your  LT 9 mile run great pace.

OH Well done on your 11 on the muddy trail.

SM6 Well done on your 4.6 miles, yep it's cold out.

Jason see some idiot ran over 3000 miles in 58 mins to take top spot gggrrrrr

Second 7 mile run done as a progressive run.

15/01/2013 at 19:48

Well done on run number 2 NP I should have done the same instead of sat here watching Eastenders 

15/01/2013 at 19:57

Well its finished now so go now

15/01/2013 at 20:13

Um Um .. I did do some weights after my run NP so that nearly counts as a double ...doesn't it ?

15/01/2013 at 20:23
Night nurse, you did a quality run and rest is also good training
NP, good advice and good running today too. Super! CBA left you turbo charged for today
OH, sounds like a super run and nice change of weather for you.
Good man Stuart. Go for it
Tek, damn work... Do they not realise you are in training.
Hi HM4, keep warm. Lulu loves a run and sulks a little when I don't take her
A treaddie run in hotel tonight. A few miles of warm up/down and a 5 miles of faster running. Happy enough
15/01/2013 at 20:43

Hi NP, Thanks for your words of wisdom, I understand what you are saying and it has some great insight!

I do know what you mean about longer races being more mental, I don't want to sound naive but I think my mental strength is pretty good!

I'm completely fine with running while i feel tired, I would have gone and done the interval training session tonight even with my achey bones but I don't want to be foolish and do this when it won't benefit me.

After listening to the advice here I think taking a few extra rest days this week will actually help me in my training. I'm not just skipping it because i feel tired/lazy because that is not a reason to not run in my eyes, but only if doing so is improving my ability.

15/01/2013 at 20:47

NP- glad you got out! That 3000miler was shifting!!!

Virex- welcome- I agree with everything NP says- well, on this occasion at least

mace- P&D is The Way

Fiona- Nice treadmill session

NN- Nice snow free running

OH- well done on the tropical run

Stuart- well done

After this morning's aborted effort, icy roads and darkness tonight saw me juggling my sessions and turning to the joys of running 15m on the track... A bit slippery, but at least it was free of frozen puddles and floodlit. Pleased with the run cos it felt really comfortable- just as well as I had to turn the brain off and get into a rhythm to keep my sanity while going round and round and round....15.01m in 1.42.41 (6.50 av) splits: 7:07 6:41 6:58 6:51 7:05 7:00 6:57 7:04 6:57 6:59 6:38 6:39 6:37 6:36 6:29 3 Woohoo!

15/01/2013 at 20:50
Wow.... Takes it to another level Jason
15/01/2013 at 21:06

Indeed... very impressive Jason

Well done for doing those miles on a treadmill AGF, thankfully I havent had to resort to that yet!!

Edited: 15/01/2013 at 21:10
15/01/2013 at 21:12
Great running Jason.
Virex as your in the building phase you can run a bit slower and build a good base of regular miles running more often then your used to, enjoy your first marathon and the training you do.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.