2013 Marathon Thread

741 to 760 of 5,289 messages
02/02/2013 at 23:45

NP - Great racing 

OH - Nice run, I'm shivering just thinking about your swim however!

NN - Haha, I think you and OH have misunderstood me a bit! I actually meant that for me to be running a 1.35 half at 31, I'd only have needed to improve my time by about 4 seconds per year, which I wouldn't be too happy with

MG1
03/02/2013 at 00:53
NN, wouldn't say that I felt totally fresh but felt okay though to continue at a similar pace, I have a HRM but haven't used it for long time, will try to slow the next long run down, next weekend is the Hell Runner race so that will be good for strength and stamina
HM4
03/02/2013 at 09:11

NP,

Well done on the prize.

---------

Well done on everyone's training.  Thanks for the comments I'm starting to sort out my training plan which looks like it's going to be a 8 week 10k done on a loop or after I've done the first run thru may keep repeating the last 4 weeks.  I'll decide what to do after this week providing I can get out 3 times for a couple of miles each time.

03/02/2013 at 11:02

(Young) Stuart - sorry the run didn't go well. Good luck for the LSR tomorrow.

MG - first time average male conversion for the Half to Mara is 2.29x, so 3:45 looks sensible with some training gains...you might be quicker, but better to start off steady and see how you feel at mile 20...

NP nice report, great race and well done on the M50 win. Hope the 22m went ok...

NN Abo added. Hope the long run was ok this morning

OH well done on the 10 miler and swim. Blast - I didn't realise you needed to sign in to see stuff on Fetch. I'll keep the Skydrive up too, but it keeps crashing...you could always join Fetch...

sd_28 welcome to the thread

HM good luck with the plan

---

1m warm up then 7m race with the club on a hilly road course.  Very pleased with my 7.24 mm pace, without the HR exploding.

03/02/2013 at 11:05

oops end of the week...

67m av 9.08mm av HR 72% max.

03/02/2013 at 11:36

Tek LOVELY pace for that race... nice weekly miles well done and nice low HR

SM6 maybe not such a tough challenge then...lol 

MG1 your pace and target time are similar to mine I am aiming for under 3.40 I have learned to start nice and easy and wear a HRM trying to keep around 70-75% letting it go up a bit towards 77-80 at the end to pick up the pace, and manage to finish feeling nice and strong

this was todays 21

Felt great today..wasnt really looking forward to running on my own but it is much easier to control pace..
9.30..9.32..9.37..9.31..9.13..9.05..9.15..9.03..9.04..9.02 .8.56..9.04..8.44..8.49..8.58..8.46..8.52..8.55..8.48..8.50...8.47
AVE HR 72.7 %

Well I am off back to bed now...some of us have to work tonight 

03/02/2013 at 12:42

HM - Sounds like a good idea. Good luck

Tek - Nice running, good pace.

NN - Great running, and nice low HR too. Well done

---------

9.34 miles for me this morning, 8.42 ave. Got a bit excited from about 5 miles, and ran a bit faster than I really should have. A couple of sub 8s into the wind at the end was not what I had originally planned. Still, felt good, legs were ok too

Gym later and 20 tomorrow, which I'm not really looking forward too as it's supposedly going to be a bit wild here.

03/02/2013 at 15:40

OH, another good run and swim, that some chilly water, big toe would be enough for me

HM4, hopefully you'll start to get out more and more and things will start to come together

Tek, well done with the race and a cracking pace, I got near that pace during my interval session and I was blowing out one! good stats for the week too

NN, enjoy the rest after todays effort well done

SM6, another good run well done, hope the 20 goes well.

With it being Sunday, it's long run day for me I've been planning to do this route for a while and I new it was going to be a brute. 1,179ft of elvation gain in total over the 17 mile route, it was very windy today and the rain was heavy at times, with all the hill work today the HR was very difficult to control and for the run was 80%, way too high for a LSR. A distance PB for me, so I've got to be happy with that

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/269132905

03/02/2013 at 15:56

Good running StewartC sounds challenging

Impressive 21 NN

Tek "... on a hilly road course.  Very pleased with my 7.24 mm pace ... " rightly so

HM4 - keep plodding at it.

SM6 Hope 20 miler goes well tomorrow

Just 3 miles today for me (between the squalls)
... That's another squall just coming through

03/02/2013 at 16:24

SD28 Welcome.

HM4 Nice to have a plan and a reason to get up and out and run

Teknik well done on the club race and 67 miles for the week

NN Great 21 miles run with the second half faster than the first like you I went back to bed for a couple of hours.

SM6 nice running it's always nice to be able to pick up the pace a little, enjoy your 20 tomorrow.

SC Nice hill running, miles and time on feet well done.

OH did you also swim between the squalls?

Woke to the sound of rain and wind again this morning but after breakfast the rain had stopped and the wind had dropped a little, ran with the wind to my back for a few miles before turning into it. At mile 9 I met a guy who ran 2:56 in Dublin and he joined me for the next 13 and a bit miles which was nice as I also picked up my mate who is just back from holiday and is well tanned but suffering in the cold, he should of been here last week or the week before lol so 22 miles D&D and in the VLM bank.

Any sign of Jason

HM4
03/02/2013 at 17:26

Well done on everyone's training.  I got out for 2 miles this morning.

03/02/2013 at 18:50

Good that you got out HM4, do you have a plan for this week?

NP fantastic race yesterday and followed by a long run! Great solo long run too by NN.

OH good that you dodged the squally showers.

Stewart nice run round Clava, the short sharp hill after the viaduct is a killer!

Teknik that's a great pace on a hilly course.

MG1 that was a fantastic long run yesterday, as you say a real confidence boost!

5 miles easy today. Felt the knee again but must be something that tightens up after use so back to the roller. Will take a break tomorrow morning.

Stuart I hope the weather is not too bad for the long run tomorrow.

F

Edited: 03/02/2013 at 18:51
HM4
03/02/2013 at 19:20

Fiona,

I'm hoping to get out on Thursday for 2 miles then will try for another 2 on Saturday with either 2-3 next Sunday.  If that goes well I should be able to start a 10k plan.   Hope your knee doesn't cause too much trouble.

Edited: 03/02/2013 at 19:20
03/02/2013 at 20:13

Glad you got out HM4

Definitely a day for easy runs FionaC

NP no swim today (once a week is enough even for a seemingly committed massochist)
Yesterday's swim ended up being more of a paddle with a protracted walk over rocks in knee high water before we got in deep enough to swim.
Mental note: check tide before swimming at that location again!

03/02/2013 at 21:47

Eeks  - certainly no swimming tomorrow
 From MSW (black represents 48' or greater swell)

http://chart-c.metcentral.com/wave/2013020306/750/1-1359979200-1.gif

Edited: 03/02/2013 at 21:48
03/02/2013 at 22:00

Good that your plan is coming together HM4.

Blimey OH stay away from that! Forecast looks dire.

F

04/02/2013 at 10:02

NN, well Done on some super running over the weekend !! a great long run that !!! Your running son must be proud of his mum !!

Fiona, Likewise a brilliant 22. Hope the knee calms down for you. Lulu is booked in

HM, well done for getting out and running. Good luck in 10k training

Stewart, great to see some good 800M sets to along side your Hadd running. Good to mix it up !!...and then finish weekend with your longest run ever

MG, Your running your long runs faster than me and I am fairly confident of beating 3:30. Seems to me you have more in the locker than you think

Tek, well done on your race fella, that speed and the miles your doing combined will get you to the start in ace shape !!

Stuart - you like your weekend walks. Good for you. Keep up the good work with the running.Enjoy todays 20 !

NP, I loved your race report and sumamry of a super race by you.  Spend the money wisely Thanks and very well done with your long run too. A brilliant weekend of running

OH. I am in warwick now - but am off to dubai at the end of the month ( think thats what you meant ). Nice swim and run. I do not understand that picture - but the black looks ominous .... stay safe

An easy 11 miles this morning. All good. Less than 10 weeks to Brighton Marathon

04/02/2013 at 11:35

Black = wave hight over 48 feet
(but wind not too bad so far in Kirkwall)

04/02/2013 at 16:15

OH, noticed last night that the ferries were cancelled for today, not suprising given the above image 

AGF, look like your in a good place with the training keep up the good work

Fiona, hope the rolling has eased off the knee, I'm noticing the same once I get behond 8 miles the outside top of calf tightens up and the knee gripes a fair bit, but I'm on the roller and stretching hopefully it will sort itself out

HM4, good luck with the 10k training

NP, Another great run and the company helps, well done

Planning to do a gym session tonight, I may run to and from but that will be totally dependant on the weather, the forecast for this evening is blizzards.

A friend of mine has planted a seed in my head about doing the Lochaber Marathon in April, she seem to feel that given my current mileages and long runs, that I am in a good shape.  If I was to do this I would only have about 10 weeks of training left.

Currently I'm doing around 50 miles a week, up to 17 miles long run with the majority @ an easy pace, I've been looking at the P&D shedules up to 55 miles, but I'm a bit light on the MLR's(10 miles max) and MP runs and I'm a little worried that I couldn't just jump into the middle of that shedule, especially since the coming week LR is a 20 miler.

I would be grateful if I could get some advice with this, have I left it to late! 

04/02/2013 at 16:30
Thank Stewart let's hope so. if your doing 50 miles a week then you have plenty of time to get 3x20 milers in and enjoy the race with lots of miles behind you. Treat it as a bonus. If I were you I would stay what your doing with exception making on of your mid week runs longer gradually. You can do P&D next time

You have a few females friends who talk you into running further than planned . ( just ribbing)
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.