2013 Marathon Thread

781 to 800 of 5,289 messages
04/02/2013 at 21:21
Hi

Another newbie here, I am also attempting my first marathon this year (Stratford in April). Completed my first real long run on Sunday, well long for me, 12 miles in 1hr 32 mins. What I really want to know is do I have any chance of a sub 3.30 based on this time? I am 43 and have no experience with training program's and I'm just using some basic programme I got online.

Cheers
MG1
04/02/2013 at 21:59
Good running over the last 24 hours again by everyone, conditions are pretty grim down here.

AGF my times for the long runs are a bit quick so need to slow a little but it was a nice confidence boost on Saturday.

Gym session with trainer tonight for me, leg strength work and some interval training on the dreadmill all of which were hard after the weekend run. A couple more sessions this week before the Hell Runner race on Saturday which should be good for a bit of endurance and getting soaked and muddy!
04/02/2013 at 22:14

JL to be honest even though your 12 was pretty quick your long run should be longer than 12 by now if your marathon is in April and your target is sub 3.30, looks more like  get you round type of schedule, pity cos that 12 is quick, but you wont have much endurance.

Others may say different though.

04/02/2013 at 22:32
Evening all!
Sorry for my absence, but I haven't run at all since Friday except for a brief Parkrun cos I found out on Friday afternoon that I had an interview at 10 am THIS MORNING including a presentation and a panel interview! Pretty much took care of my weekend! Think it went well, but won't hear for a couple of days. Will read back, but only got about 3 hours sleep last night!....
04/02/2013 at 22:46

Hope it went well from the other side of the table too Jason

04/02/2013 at 23:58

AGF, lol, yeah a bit of a soft touch me, 

NN, that what I love about this site even though the advice can be different it is usually all good, 

Tek, yeah the 17 was tough and the weather was crap, but it in the bank now, I was looking at the 55/12 P&D plan, it's only got two 20 milers in it, is this enough?

Fiona, I was looking to extend the long run to see how I coped with the additional mileage, hope the rest day tomorrow helps, took one today myself.

Kaz, thanks, hope the injury clears up sooner rather than later

NP, thanks for the advice, not sure what my MP pace is yet, 9:30 - 10mm? hope you enjoyed the non running day

OH, hows the weather up there, got some white stuff today and add the wind into the mix, not nice

SM6, good run in horrible weather well done, shame about the 50m though

Jason, good to hear from you, hope the grilling went well, good luck

Well I did it signed up this evening, some may call me nuts and in truth I am a little.  I'm going to follow P&D 55/12 but try and add in another 20 somewhere, 8wtg looks like a good spot?

05/02/2013 at 08:25

Just windy and very wet here

Not looking good for a half day ...

05/02/2013 at 11:02

NN I try to do a few miles at the end of every other long run just to try and get used to pushing MP when the legs are tierd thats also a reason for running my hill run on the Saturday, I found it helped the endurance in the latter stage of the marathon.

OH did you spend all day sneezing after the pool swim?

SM6 Well done on the long run not great conditions but strong mind strong body

Sarnie whats the rest of your weeks running like? whats your age and running background?

JL well done on the 12 mile run, again what is your running background and how many times aweek are you running?

MG1 well done with the gym work and strength work.

Jason nice to hear from you fingers crossed buddy.

SC 30seconds diffrence a mile is massive for MP if your on the wrong side of it, even 5 to 10 seconds can do dammage in the last 6 miles.

Well got up this morning to 20 to 30mm of snow so no speed work today so 10 miles steady on an out and back run, The whole run was an the footpath in virgin snow with a tailback of traffic 5 miles long bumper to bumper going no where due to a minor bump just before my turn round point. Wind was also quite strong and very cold but running in the white stuff is like running along a beach hard work but will make your legs stronger

05/02/2013 at 11:54

NP - That sounds a nice, but hard run.

Jason - I hope the interview went well.

The wind and rain has cleared  here to a nice, bright day. I have ventured out today again, and did 4.9 miles(should have continued to make it 5) in 45 mins. HR all over the place but not sure if it was reading accuratley? No pain today during or after the run although I could feel yesterdays circuits  in my legs! Hopefully this is the start of training!

05/02/2013 at 12:15

Fiona how's the knee?

HM did you get snow? Nothing here but wind, but it looks like sleet tonight.

NP Wow RHR of 34 !   I got mine down to 46 (from 60), so a way to go yet.  Nice 10 miler in the snow

Kaz glad today went better. Fingers crossed!

OH well done on the pool swim. Boo! to the weather...

Stuart LOL at the mileage OCD comment.  Nice total for parkruns - shame about the cancellations

Sarnie welcome. Like NP says, some more background will help us comment

John welcome - again, could we have some more detail about training history, race times etc.

NN I agree with you, however...

MG Nice gym and interval sesh

jason phew! We thought you were injured...

Stewart.  You're ahead in mileage and LR terms so you could add some - as you say week -8 looks good - add 3 there.  I would also shave the two tune-up races (week -4 and -2) down to 5k parkruns (race them properly) and add 3m and 4m respectively to the long runs. Then you get to 5 x 20 milers plus 2 long runs with a long MP finish. Job done

---

11m this morning, 5m on my own on the tarmac at 70%max, then 6m in the park with the club.  I've had to switch my mara - a weekend away in Salzburg just before not-so-littleTek starts his GCSEs was banned - so I've plumped for the equally attractive Milton Keynes

Edited: 05/02/2013 at 13:07
05/02/2013 at 15:05

Afternoon..

StewartC Good decision, and good luck, at least you know there is support and advice here, I look forward to seeing your training progress, and all us runners all a little nuts, or so the majority of the population would have us believe..(they are just jealous though ) Cos they cant eat as much chocolate and cake 

NP thats what I shall do I think, run the 2nd part of a few mlrs faster, rather than trying 12-15 at marathon pace on my own and struggling/failing, which most people see to be doing on tired legs, although  I do have a 20 mile race in March so will do 14/15 at mp then it will be easier in company, well done on the 10 in the snow and wind !!

Kaz1 well done on the nearly 5, onwards and upwards for you..

Tek nice run and low heart rate, I am sure MK has some lovely scenery ....somewhere 

P&D schedule has 2 runs today so 5 easy miles this morning, then coffee and cake with friend..bit of house work then another 5 later my first ever doubles day  

05/02/2013 at 17:00

Tek, yes mate , been full of lurgy for over a week but i think i'm back in the game now.

Ended up being diagonsed with a chest infection last week and had to take a couple of days off work sick. Then the antibiotics disagreed with me so felt pretty zombie-like for a few days.  The idea of running filled me with dread and P&D weeks of 68 and 66 miles turned into 58 and 47 ( so about 30M lost which was a couple of 5-6M recoveries, a 7M GA and a 14M MLR. Pretty crap time to get ill as well with my first 20 milers scheduled over those 2 weeks - first one i bombed out at 16.5M but i nailed the second on Sunday after dreading it all week. It was tough, but has given me a fair bit of confidence now knowing that i can get through 20miles feeling the way i did in the run up to it.

Will try and read back over the last week later ( i really haven't been able to face coming on here )  , but hope everyone's training has been going well.

05/02/2013 at 17:37

Kaz1 well done for getting out.

Teknik great running and low HR pity about Salzburg for some reason Milton Keynes is just not the same.

Mace glad your recoverd and back in to your plan

White stuff gone and replaced by stronger winds and lots of rain so a very slow and wet 4 mile recovery run hope it warms up again soon

05/02/2013 at 18:28

I did my second run on the treadmill, I am fed up with the freezing winds..I dont mind running in it once a day but not twice

Good to see you are ok Jason, it must be nice to be missed eh ?

mace it sounds as if you have had it tough, glad you are on the road to recovery and some 20 milers  ..

Edited: 05/02/2013 at 18:30
HM4
05/02/2013 at 19:18

Tek,

No snow as yet.  Although I think we may miss it.  It's just going to be freezing and rainy - not a good combination.

Sarnie & John,

Hi & welcome to the thread.

---------

Looks like there will be no running on my day off tomorrow.  I went home early today as think I've picked up a bug which is going round work and spent the rest of the day in bed.

05/02/2013 at 19:54

Kaz1 Think you must have different weather in Stromness - either that or weather deteriorated significantly though the day. Glad you're getting out again.

Wind measured 36 gusting 60 kts at Scapa in the late afternoon.

Managed an exhilarating 20.44 in the wind and rain.
The remaining 0.06 mile was, of course, out of respect to SM6

The normally easily passable path along the coast by the airport has had significant amounts of the boulder beach thrown over it by the recent storms. Glad I wasn't in the water when all those boulders were being shifted

Enforced grounding (work) for next 6 days and Loch Katrine not too far off

Tek - sometimes family has to take priority
If Milton Keynes ceased to exist, would there be any need to build a high speed rail link to Manchester? I have always believed its raison d'être was to slow down the Manchester London train.
Good 11 miles on a weekday

mace well done getting the long runs in despite your recent illness

NP sounds fun. Beginning to get a bit envious of of all the snow south.
It would have been nice to have had just a bit

NN I think its first day I have run further than you - only it's my hard day and your easy day

05/02/2013 at 19:59

OH wow...!!! nice one..and how lovely to hear someone say "exhilarating" rather than moanng about the wind and rain like some (me)

HM4 get well soon

05/02/2013 at 20:01
Hi Peeps check out the old guy in the race to the line at 6mins into this video on you tube.

www.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DkW4bhZcS-dw&h=nAQFyQ-YJ&s=1
05/02/2013 at 20:28
That didn't work for some reason, go to you tube and type in Born2run-Gosford
05/02/2013 at 20:39

OH - Its deteriorated from 2pm onwards, absolutely horrendous out now again. Just back from Kirkwall........not nice.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.