2013 Marathon Thread

1,221 to 1,240 of 5,289 messages
28/02/2013 at 22:09
NP, great running and swimming totals for the month you're right to be happy

AGF, well done getting some miles in during your holiday, and I agree that book is good

Stuart, hope the legs are feeling better after some stretching, good run earlier well done

Mace, yeah intervals sessions are weird like that, good six earlier hope the legs are too quackered

OH, enjoy the conference and I hope you can get some runs in

MG, no point getting ill from the cold wind

Tek, another good run and great totals for the month

HM, well done with the press ups, I should do them more often , but I'm lazy

NN, well done, must be difficult juggling your work with the amount of running you do

Fiona, great stats for the month and well done with the doubles

5.5 miles tonight 4 with JS and the rest after, happy that the legs didn't feel too wrecked after last nights VO2max session.

Stats for the month: 194.11m @10:20 in 33:25:51, avgHR 150(79%)

My birthday tomorrow(42 years young) so I may reserve the right to not do any running.
MG1
28/02/2013 at 22:12
Tek, Nice 13 and a super month of running, those are some serious miles
NN fast 4 m and I am sure you have put in a great total mileage this month
NP , well what awesome month you have had, you got to be very , very happy with that performance and speed
Fiona C another great month of running with very nice pace

For me back the gym tonight with the trainer who is now pushing me hard on interval work, really wasn't up for it tonight after 4 hour drive home but adrenalin kicked in nicely, now fired up for the Saturday morning Long run I think only 4 long runs left for me until taper .
MG1
28/02/2013 at 22:15
Stewart C, great effort for the month you got to happy with that, enjoy your Birthday and the day off
01/03/2013 at 06:31

Happy birthday Stewart !

01/03/2013 at 08:08

Happy Birthday Stewart!

3 miles for me this morning - outdoors for the first work morning this year!

F

01/03/2013 at 11:37

Supposed to be sleeping but there is a lot of noise going on 2 doors down, I can hear a cement mixer through my ear plugs, will try and nap again later

Stewart  hey happy birthday fellow Pisces and I wish I was 42 its my birthday on Sunday the 3rd I will be 51  and by the way, I am doing a half marathon on my birthday so you have no excuse really not  to do at least a little run 

Well done all some serious mileage for the month mine was 265

Going to try and nap again now..

01/03/2013 at 15:02

Tek - Nice run yesterday, and great total for the month

HM - Hope you didn't land on the cat!

NN - Good running, even if it wasn't the full distance you wanted

NP - Nice speedy run

Fiona - Great total, and average pace for the month!

Stewart - Happy birthday Enjoy the rest day

MG - Sounds like a good session at the gym!

--------------

6 mile cycle, plus some lunges, chin ups and dips at the gym after work. Should probably start adding weight while I'm doing chin ups as my fat ass isn't heavy enough. Going for a short run later on, probably between 3-6 miles dependent on how the old legs feel.

Running for Feb was:

Total Run 18 22:56:28 78.2% 9:21 6.41 154 147.16

Piss poor really, but had I not got lazy last week, I'd have been close to/just over 190. My taper starts on the 1st of April, so I'd really like to hit 200 miles this month.

01/03/2013 at 16:18

Some great running going on. Hope everyone is doing well.

Weather is excellent today so decided to go a dog run down the park. Felt fired up so decided to do 1mi warmup,  3x2miles at a tempo pace with 0.2 mile recovery jogs and a 1 mile warm down. First 2 miles tempo felt horrible. 2nd lot felt great and the last 2 were a struggle, dropped pace considerably but felt full out. Really feeling the benefit of these faster runs, being scared to introduce them after tendonitis i think has been a big mistake so going to focus on some quality sessions, maybe twice a week. 

Splits: 6.55,  6.58.  Rec3:00  7:04,  6:45,  Rec2:54   7:45,  7:27  and  1:43 for 0.25mi to finish. 

01/03/2013 at 17:00

HM well done on the press-ups.  Our cat stears clear of me doing them - too much whining and swearing (me, not the cat).

NN nice treddie pace!  Well done on the month's total. Hope you got some sleep today.

NP fantastic pace for those 800s yesterday. Storming month too...

Fiona nice 6m yesterday. Great month's work (and pace!).  Well done for getting out this morning.

Stewart nice 6m yesterday.  Big month, well done.  Enjoy the birthday!

MG well done for getting into the gym after all that driving.  Good luck with the long run tomorrow.

Stuart good training.  Hope you can avoid the lazy days next month

Spark nice tempo - 6m of fast stuff is tough going...

---

4.6m recovery jog this evening, 90 minutes of really really hot yoga this morning (I was late and had to stand by the fire again).

01/03/2013 at 17:44

Got a couple more hours sleep then went for easy 4.5 miles with a few strides and called in to the gym on my way back to do some core stuff, probably could have done it at home but I try harder in the gym 

Tek I know hot yoga stands for itself but is the fire the only way the room is heated ? and how hot is the room

Spark very nice tempo pace well done.

SM6 a nice days training already and have a good run

Edited: 01/03/2013 at 17:46
01/03/2013 at 18:10

NN well done on the recovery run.  The yoga room has air-con on hot, radiators and a fire.  I think it's about 40C....

HM4
01/03/2013 at 18:41

Stewart,

Happy birthday.

Stuart,

No I didn't.

--------

Thanks guys & well done on everyone's training.

01/03/2013 at 22:26
MG, great gym session, especially after the drive
Fiona, well done getting an outdoor run
NN, that's a fair amount of miles, good luck on Sunday
SM6, great cross training session, and I'm sure you will smash 200 miles this month
Spark, a tough tempo session well done
Tek, sounds like you were melting at yoga, well done with the recovery run

Thanks for the birthday wishes they are greatly appreciated no run tonight, sorry NN, but I did go to body balance this evening, I'm glad I've started doing this class is is certainly helping, 6 miles recovery tomorrow with 6 x 100 strides, I'll maybe look to finish my run at the track.

I'm going to try some gel on my 20m run on Sunday looking at the back of the packet it recommends 3 in an hour which sounds excessive, I'll probably be on my feet for around 3:30 how many would you recommend?
MG1
01/03/2013 at 22:37
Stewart C , using SIS gels, take one at 8 m and another at 16 seems to work for me on a 20-23 LR, three per hour seems a lot .
02/03/2013 at 11:47

Stewart I'd take a couple just to see if you can stomach them.  Personally I don't use them at all in training (get the body used to burning fat etc.) but I do take a few on race day - about 6 is my limit before feeling sick...

---

6.8m hilly road run this morning.  All fine here..

Happy birthday for tomorrow Nursie

02/03/2013 at 11:49

Busy day for the thread tomorrow

03/03/13 Llanelli HM            Jason D

03/03/13 Bideford HM          Night Nurse

03/03/13 Essex 20               Teknik

03/03/13 Thanet 20              Mace

03/03/13 Silverstone HM      AGF

Good luck to everyone!

02/03/2013 at 11:59

Nurse - hope the sleep's improving

Tek - LOL @ standing by the fire, that's really made me smile, sorry  A bit like at school ; i hated being late for a lesson as you always had to sit at the front

Stewart - hope you had a fantastic 42nd, wish i was 42 again  3 gels per hour DOES sound a lot.

I booked my first ever physio appt yesterday - bit of a problem with the knee which i've been aware of for some time now on and off ( a couple of years i'd say), It doesn't bother me running at all. Infact i never feel it when i'm running but i'm starting to get paranoid about it now as M-Day becomes a reality so think it's best i get an expert opinion if only to hopefully put the mind at ease

02/03/2013 at 12:00

Thanks Tek, how nice it is not to have to spend a Saturday morning planning the Sunday long run.

Good luck to you and everyone else running as well

Edited: 02/03/2013 at 12:02
02/03/2013 at 12:41
Thanks Tek and good luck to you too!
This week I managed a recovery run Monday, one yesterday evening, one this morning and will get another in this evening. Not the best prep for a half, but WILL be back to normal next week!
Good going everyone and belated happy birthday to Stewart!
02/03/2013 at 12:52

Good luck to all racing tomorrow!

Nothing wrong with thoses stats Stuart, looks like March will be a big month for most.

Great tempo running Spark. Not an easy session.

More good training Teknik, hot yoga and hill running.

NN good that you got more sleep, hope they're not working over the weekend with your half tomorrow!

Stewart I take a couple when out for 3 hours so I'd probably have 2-3 for 3:30. For race day I'd have 5-6 (High5 ones which have 80kcal each - lucozade ones have 120kcal each and are thicker)

mace I hope the knee is nothing serious.

7 miles this morning for me.

F

1,221 to 1,240 of 5,289 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.