2013 Marathon Thread

1,281 to 1,300 of 5,289 messages
03/03/2013 at 17:26

Jason - Hard lines, 83.xx is still flying! What would you have been hoping for, had things gone to plan?

Fiona - Nice 21

HM - Good running

Stewart - Good strong 20 miler there, things seem to be coming along nicely!

AGF - Brilliant running Must be a great feeling to go sub-90

NN - Great running, well done on your age cat win

NP - Impressive 22, nice and fast.

Tek - Well done on the PB, even if that wasn't the plan! Still plenty of time to get MP sub 8.00 though!

-------------

All this racing talk has got me excited for Alloa in a fortnight, shame I have no idea how fast I can run

10.2 miles this morning @ 9.12 average, easy peasy. Yesterdays cross-training has put life back into my legs, so I don't think I'm going to run again on a Saturday before Lochaber and I'll just throw in more swimming and cycling.

Quick gym session and 400m swim (as well as a 5 mile round trip on the bike) done this afternoon. 

20 tomorrow.

03/03/2013 at 17:37

NN- Super stuff!! Well done on the bling

Tek- well done on the 20 PB

NP- Nice running (as always) Matey!

SM6- good luck for tomorrow

Well today's frustrating Half must have loosened my legs up- just ran my quickest recovery run for a while for the same effort 6.53m in 52.45

Edited: 03/03/2013 at 17:37
03/03/2013 at 19:48
Stuart. Your 10 mile easy runs are similar to mine. Suggest that as you have done a few 20s to just head out fast and hang on

Nice one Jason.

Thanks Fiona

As mentioned before... A good day for the thread
03/03/2013 at 21:37

AGF - Based on the improvement in my 5k time (it's the only real thing I can look at) since this time last year, I should be looking at 89.xx. The lack of fast running is where the doubts come from. Of my last 400km ran only 5 have been quicker than MP...

I'm just looking forward to finding out

04/03/2013 at 09:08

Nurse - a brilliant win, very well done  Hope you enjoyed your birthday

jason - great run, that's a cracking time considering

Tek - promising stuff, and a tasty pb, nice one

AGF - sub 1:30, chuffed for you as well

My 20M "race" target was 2:45 and to ignore HR, so i wiped it from my garmin screens  Started at 8:45 and picked up to 8:00 at around 12M and basically was fighting to keep a lid on it after that. Finished strong with a last couple miles mostly uphill sticking to 8:00 and then a final mile around 7:30.

Overtook loads of runners and had a great time

2:44  = 8:15 @ 80% HR 

..... although the first ( flat) mile was 80% despite being really relaxed at the start !!!! That's why i need to ignore HR as i'd panic seeing something like that

Edited: 04/03/2013 at 09:10
04/03/2013 at 09:29

Mace - Congratulations ona superb 20 miler....you must be chuffed to beat your target and have plenty in the tank for a faster last mile

(last 13 miles at brighton is flat - so no hills to worry about there )

04/03/2013 at 10:41

AGF, great race report and a sub 1:30 pb to boot well done

NN, Another great race and 1st in age, congratulations what a way to celebrate your birthday

NP, another 22 in the bank, and speedy too, well done

Tek, with another 8 weeks of training I'm sure 8mm will feel a lot more comfortable, well done with the 20 PB even if it wasn't suposed to happen

SM6, nice running yesterday hope the 20 goes well today

Mace, a great 20 mile run yesterday, finishing strong and enjoying it too, well done

04/03/2013 at 14:33

Thanks Stewart. 

A small dog run this morning that was laboured at best

04/03/2013 at 14:52

Mace really impressive 20 miler yesterday well done and yes ignore the HR in the first couple of miles, although 80% overall looks spot on  and you ran it perfectly with that nice strong finish

Jason well done on yesterdays half I didn't see your post last night, strange how these things are all relative that was a flying time and one most runners who kill for..

AGF my friend is running Brighton and I know I said it yesterday but will say it again well done on that sub 1.30 !!!

Not even a recovery run for me today, I spent last night throwing up..not sure if it was the meal I had last night or the piece of chocolate cake I had at the end of the race, the organisers are well known for the array of cakes at the finish but when I  bit into mine it was full of egg shell..\

meant to be driving to surrey to see the grandkids today but cant face a 200 mile drive feeling like this...

Edited: 04/03/2013 at 14:53
04/03/2013 at 15:07

Thank you night Nurse.

Sorry to hear about the choc cake and reaction. Look after yourself and get well soon.  I hope you kept the champagne for when you feel better !!!

04/03/2013 at 15:15

AGF yes champers in the fridge and only 1 glass of wine last night so I cant blame the drink..

04/03/2013 at 17:52

Well enjoy the champers when your better Night Nurse. I celebrated with a bottle of camel valley ( made near you )....

If anyone wants to see a man struggling to make the sub 1:30 the photo on the top right corner of this link shows me 50 metres from the finish with an empty tank !!

http://www.marathonfoto.com/Half-Marathon/Adidas-Half-Marathon-Silverstone-2013/LastName/Quantick/BibNumber/1753/offering/myMarathonfotos/RaceOID/19802013W2/Language/en

The top left shows a happy medal.

However lets not forget.....the marathon is what its all about......

HM4
04/03/2013 at 18:23

Well done guys.

AGF,

Link didn't work for me.

04/03/2013 at 18:50

Sorry guys - not sure how to get that to work. Nevermind

04/03/2013 at 19:32

Mace- well done on the 20

AGF- DEFINITELY time for a name change

NN- Hope you feel better soon

Back on the case today with 2x 6.5m recovery runs

04/03/2013 at 20:10
Mace that's a great 20 mile run sir well done
SM6 well done on the 10 miles enjoy the bike and swimming.
HM4 how's the press ups going?
Jason well done with the double runs today nice to see you back at it.

As for me 1 mile swim (64x25 m) am, window cleaning and grass cutting this afternoon followed by 6 miles recovery run
04/03/2013 at 20:13

Just back from weekend in far south with only one brief run snatched before breakfast on Saturday. 6 miles today -on taper but still got a niggle in foot. No worse for running today though.

A lot of impressive stuff on here from weekend
Llanelli HM - Jason D Great performance even it wasn't all you'd hoped for
Bideford HM - Night Nurse  well done
Essex 20 - Teknik - Good PB (starting off too fast  - we nearly all do it)
BTW is this the race where every local male runner starts the race with a gold medal?
Thanet 20 - Mace
Silverstone HM AGF  great PB and entertaining writeup.

MG1 - a strong 20
FionaC
good 21. Is 21 ever "nice and easy" (really)?
and NP
Likewise StewartC glad to see someone else does long training runs at my sort of pace
Good training  SM6
NN Belated Happy Birthday.
btw all my PBs are over 50 PBs!!!

beetroot  I hate it with a passion.
Something to do with tinned beetrooot being standard veg at primary school

MG1
04/03/2013 at 20:39
Mace great effort on the 20
SM6 good run earlier enjoy the cross training
Jason good double recovery run
NP nice run and swim, plus the lawn mowing!
NN hope your getting over the boutof lurgy

Good session of cross training leg strength and core work tonight in the gym
04/03/2013 at 21:07

Oh no, not grass cutting already NP!  

NN such a shame to end your day like that, hope you feel a lot better now.

Stuart a nice day's training yesterday.

mace a fantastic 20 miler, well done!! Must be a real confidence boost.

NP nice recovery day although that's a good day's training with the grass cutting and window cleaning!!

OH I hope the foot gets better when tapering.

MG1 nice gym work.

A recovery 4 miles this morning the 6 miles with 3 lots of 2k (8 mins) tonight (total 6 miles)

F

04/03/2013 at 21:17
OH welcome back, hope the foot is ok.
Fiona another great 10 miles in the bank on the back of a 21 mile run
1,281 to 1,300 of 5,289 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.