2013 Marathon Thread

1,581 to 1,600 of 5,289 messages
20/03/2013 at 15:19

AGF sorry I didnt realise you were struggling with niggles, I dont always have the time to read all the post, moan all you like I would,

20/03/2013 at 18:44
Lol at the picture of Teknik in his onesie zipped up with bits hanging out
NN well done on the MLR don't be OCD over the missing .5 mile last year and the year before I did quite a few 20/22 mile long runs on the treadmill at work it was just how my shifts fell.

AGF cold bath stretching and foam roller I think the 20 miles then another long run the next day was to much, like you say Berlin is your A race.
HM4
20/03/2013 at 19:07

Tek,

Thanks.

--------

Well done on everyone's training.

20/03/2013 at 19:59
Sorry to hear about the niggles AGF. If you feel like that then perhaps Brighton not the best move but you still have time! I was so afraid of breaking myself before my hols and more importantly VLM that I decided not to run my half at full effort.
NN sitting here at the Gatwick Hilton on my own. My 1st hols since 2009 other than long weekends off work as on my own now so a major step. Eek.
So much good running going on but on the blackberry now so flicking back and fore the pages not easy. And I've had a glass of wine!
Looking forward to feeling a bit of warmth but after Sunday can't believe it'll be warm so packed the tights, gloves etc at the last minute.
7am flight tomorrow. No time to run today but hope to make up for it over the next week.
20/03/2013 at 20:04
Fiona have a great week I'm sure it will add the icing on the cake, looks like a PB effort for myself at this weekends half marathon is off due to the weather it's to blow a gale along the coast...... Enjoy your week in the sun.
MG1
20/03/2013 at 20:57
Rest for me today, appart from 18 holes of golf so a good walk if nothing else
This tapering lark sounds interesting certainly will have to curtail my appetite a little!
Good running NP and Tek
Fiona enjoy the hols in the sun, it's about 2 0c here
NN use the foam roller after every gym and run session, great on most muscle groups appart from the outside of thighs / IT band which always seem to be a bit sore
AGF hope the nigles start to recede
20/03/2013 at 23:37

HM, well done with the 4 miles 

OH, sounds like you're recovering well after your Marathon, nice to get out when the weather is pleasant

Fiona, did you not get a PB on Sunday, just goes to show that you're in great shape, enjoy the sun honestly I'm not at all jealous

SM6, after tonight I'm not so sure

MG, great tempo run and bike ride, 

NP, some great running over the past couple of days and that's an epic shift

Tek, some nice stats what pace are you looking to run your marathon at

AGF, sorry to hear about the niggles 

Yesterday was my first run since Sunday's HM and the legs felt a little heavy at the start but they did feel a bit better by the finish.

Today was a MP test a Tek suggested but it was not good, I'm probably not fully recovered yet and the run felt extremely difficult.  Miles are banked though

21/03/2013 at 09:51

NN sounds like you should go with NP's 8:15 advice.  Well done on slogging out the 12.5m

AGF so sorry you're still not recovered. It's been a few years since I raced a Half, but I can remember a flat-out effort would knock me out for a week or two.  Take a rest, and then I'd strap on the HRM again for a while, in order to guage just how much you've affected your base. Then make the decision. 

HM you've inspired me - I'm going to start the press-up challenge again

Fiona I'm sooo jealous

NP sorry to hear about the likely weather at Larne.  It's going to be -2C here, but hopefully dry at least.

MG nice cross training

Stewart I checked your run on Fetch - definitely a HRM / strap malfunction...for several miles.  Also it's too close to that Half of yours for the stats to be meaningful.  As for me, I'm still pondering.  The Hadd tests are hovering around 8mm but it's still not comfortable ... we'll see, 6 weeks yet to make up my mind.

---

6m steady this morning, feeling fine.

21/03/2013 at 09:53

fiona, I trust you are in the air by now and have a lovely holiday in the sun. Enjoy.

MG - Hope the golf was ood and the ball did not plug too often in the ground !!

Stewart - Well done on the MP test on tired legs. Will do you no harm.

I had a massage last night. Very tight perimformis/hams/quads.  a little better today - but I think I have a hams strain. Have decided to give brighton a miss. Will keep ticking over and get myself nigglke free in the lead up to Berlin : )  I feel better for making this decision as brighton will not proove anything to me.

21/03/2013 at 10:23

All this talk of balls out running, i had to check back to make sure you weren't talking about my mis-hap last week

AGF - really sorry to hear that but it sounds like a well thought out and sensible decision. Shame as i was hoping to be hanging onto you

Nurse - plenty on Youtube .... i mainly use it for IT Band, calves, hams and quads

Tek - i'm signed up on Fetch but the few times i've been on there i find the site a bit " busy ", i can't work out what's where. But then i am a bit impatient with new stuff  How do you upload and view garmin stats on there ?

VO2 session yesterday 9 w 5 x 1200 , paces were 6:28, 6:29, 6:27, 6:23, 6:26

14MLR today @ 8:03 @ 73% .... 8:36, 8:25, 8:31, 8:20, 8:16, 8:06, 8:02, 8:00, 7:53, 7:40, 7:27, 7:15, 7:16 and 8:54 cool down

21/03/2013 at 10:40

AGF - sorry, decision made.  Think just how great your base will be in 6 months' time!

mace those are great V.o2 splits, and today's MLR looked fantastic.  On Fetch, you need to install the Garmin Communicator - go here for a link http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=407.  Then to upload a run, go to "Train" then "Add training" then click on the device you're using, or go to http://www.fetcheveryone.com/training_garmin_interface.php

21/03/2013 at 11:33

Thanks mace.

I must say that those are two very very good sessions in two days !!!

Thanks Too Tek

Edited: 21/03/2013 at 11:33
21/03/2013 at 15:21
MG1 not into golf but don't mind running around the course
SC a few short runs to recover from the all out effort of the half first before any more big efforts, I think we are all too fast in coming back full pelt.
AGF just done a massage on my calfskin myself which I do from time to time, hope the stretching helps sort you out. There is a great video of Meb Keflezighi on you tube where he is going through some stretches he uses a rope for the hamstring to pull his leg which I have been using and also the stretch he is doing for the perimformis works well. The thing about him is he is a lot older then some runners and still at the top so something he is doing is right.
Mace that's two great sessions sir.

Well an easy/steady 10 miles banked this morning
21/03/2013 at 16:01

Thanks NP - will take a look.  Well done on your 10

21/03/2013 at 16:17

Thanks Gents

And ta for the IT tips Tek, i'll have a sniff around later

Good work NP, keep topping that bank up

21/03/2013 at 17:16

NP - Nice run today

Mace - That's a couple of cracking runs, well done

AGF - Hope everything clears up, it sounds like you've made the right choice.

Tek - Good running today

Stewart - I had a wee look at your run on fetch, and what Tek says is right, your HRM went nuts for miles. Also, theres a good chance you aren't fully recovered from Sunday, I felt like crap when I was out last night.

Fiona - Enjoy the holiday!

--------

4.5miles @9.30ish yesterday, felt terrible. Going out for 10 or so in an hour, hopefully that'll be a bit better.

21/03/2013 at 17:30
Tek, this is my second strap the first went the same way, on fetch are the heart rate zones in WHR on the run log, well done itch the six earlier

AGF, sorry to here about you missing Brighton, I'm sure you'll be fighting fit for Berlin

Mace, speedy interval session and a good progressive MLR, looking good

NP, great advice as always from you guys on the thread, I'm going to bin the VO2Max session on Friday for an easy run as I've got my final 20 mile run at the weekend. Another good run from you sir,

Just about to go and get ready for JS, looking to do around 5 miles tonight, it's going to be interesting, freezing out and it's blowing one too!
21/03/2013 at 18:03

NP nice easy 10m this morning

Stuart hope you're feeling better for that 10 tonight

Stewart hope you don't freeze at JS tonight.  The Fetch zones are WHR - you can convert to max% by sticking zero in your RHR in General settings under Settings (top right)

21/03/2013 at 18:08

Fiona, I too went on my own I had got chatting on to some posters off the sub 3.45 thread who had been on that trip before so met up with them at Faro and shared a room with one of the girls, its a great confidence builder doing something like that on your own, at least you know you will have something in common with everyone...RUNNING !!

AGF  a tough decision and a shame but you have a really good base and will come back even stronger.

Mace a very fast set of 1200 !! good effort and an excellent MLR a damn sight better than my sessions this week I have felt really tired

Tek are you not going to race a half before your marathon to get an idea of where you are ?

Stewart enjoy that wet windy run, I ran on the dreadmill this afternoon, I a sick and bloody tired of wind and rain.

Hey that foa rollerthing is quite painful in places innt ??

6 miles with some strides in 50 mins done on the treadmill thank god todays scheuled session wasnt longer I couldnt do more than that indoors..

Edited: 21/03/2013 at 18:29
21/03/2013 at 18:33

NN well done on the 6m plus strides.  I've got my local half on Sunday, which I plan to run at 7:15mm or faster...but it's a vanity thing, because I don't think that's going to tell me whether I can hang on to 8mm for 26 miles....  Go easy on the roller !

1,581 to 1,600 of 5,289 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.