2nd Wind

4 messages
11/02/2013 at 13:21

Hi all,

I'm after a bit of advice please, I've set myself a couple of goals this year firstly to do a sub 20 min 5k and secondly a sub 40min 10k.  Currently I'm sat at 21:50 5k and 45:12min 10k, the thing I'm really struggling with is getting my 2nd, at the moment I don't seem to get it until about 3k into my run which is a bit late for a 5k!

Prior to the last 12 months I've played a lot of football so all my runs and intervals have been based on short intervals.  I've tried encompassing longer intervals into my run, I try and do 10 x 2min intervals at my maximum pace and some hill intervals too.  I seem to be fine in my long slower runs (i run at 5:45 per km) I tend to find a rythm pretty quik but the short sharp runs I really struggle. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Matt

11/02/2013 at 13:31

What is your warm-up routine? I've found that when I do a good thorough warm-up, I'm already into my second wind when I start.

11/02/2013 at 13:41

I tend to run 2 or 3 k at a slow to medium pace whilst doing dynamic stretching.  My warm up is one thing that has crossed my mind, should I be incormporating race pace running/short sprints into it too?

11/02/2013 at 15:24

Do a 2-3k warm up jog before your 5k - helps no end!
I'm the same, usually it takes me a couple of miles to get my breath in so i always run the couple of miles to my local parkrun as a warm up beforehand.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.