3 weeks off marathon training

1 message
08/10/2012 at 09:50
Hi, been running a couple of years, train about 45-50 mpw, I was following a 16 week program for marathon, but 3 weeks near the end of schedule I got injured in a race, training more or less stopped. I went into the race with no running for 3 weeks, no proper taper and a terrible nights sleep, I was keeping a steady pace (7:20min/mile) until mile 21, then the wheels feel off, severe cramping in my hamstrings and calves, never had this before on any distance runs. Managed to carry on running/walking, last mile or so managed to pick the pace up slightly and crossed the line in 3:34. I used all the same nutrition as I normally do gels every 6 mile and drink water at every station. Just like any opinions that could of caused this. I am thinking the drop in training, but I had got a few long runs in prior to the stop in training and my thinking was they might of set me in good stead for a marathon, maybe I was wrong.

Any help would be appreciated, I have another marathon in 3 weeks.

Craig

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
1 message
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.