35m 10k

7 messages
16/07/2014 at 14:27

Hi all, I’ve found my motivation again after pulling out of the marathon this year, and having 10weeks off through injury.

I’m aiming for 35-36mins for 10k, but without the stress of high miles (I’m 44) this years marathon training was up to 70mpw.  I’m aiming to do 2 interval sessions a week, long & short reps, and a park run/tempo run on saturdays and up to 15 miles on Sundays, instead of easy days I am going to have  days off, Mon/Weds, which should aid recovery, easy runs doing the marathon  never felt easy and just made me tired, so with this idea I hope to go into the sessions feeling fresher.

How does that sound, with 3 hard sessions a week?.

10k pb is 35.04, which I did when I turned 40, although that was off the back of Marathon training, and consistent 75mile weeks, which I haven’t got in me anymore, hence the change of approach.

Edited: 16/07/2014 at 14:29
16/07/2014 at 14:34

so where are you now timewise in a 10k and how long have you set to get back to 35m?

16/07/2014 at 14:51

been doing some short intervals, did a mile @5.44 yesterday followed by some shorter stuff, park run at the start of the month was 20 mins, I’m looking at october time, so a good while yet.

Edited: 16/07/2014 at 14:52
16/07/2014 at 16:30

Have you structured a week around 3 hard sessions plus a long run before?

I've been doing 3 hard sessions per week at the moment with a 5K target race in mind.  However, it can be a big strain on the body.  It sharpens you up nicely but I wouldn't want to do that  every week for more than a couple of months, and the actual volume of fast stuff I'm doing in each session is lower (albeit faster) than it would be if I was doing a more standard 2 hard sessions - so I'm currently doing at most about 5-6K of fast running per session, whereas it might be 8-10K in my normal training.

I find that with a session every 2 days I need to get the easy recovery runs in to be ready for the next session.  It's a bit different to marathon training, where every run, no matter how short or easy, seemed to add to overall fatigue. You might be different of course.

16/07/2014 at 16:41

Thats a fair point, not really done 3 sessions a week, which is why I’m keen to try it, october is the start of xc so it will lead me into that.

I didn’t enjoy any part of marathon training this year, as you said, I felt tired all the time, I think Tempo runs are so important, but so are the long and short interval stuff, and I want to try and fit them in on Tuesdays & Thursdays. I’m indecisive, thats my problem.

16/07/2014 at 17:17

I probably wouldn't start at 3 sessions per week then, it's a big injury risk.  When in 'normal' training, i.e. 2 sessions a week, I do a tempo plus either long or short reps.  You could alternate it more by 3 week blocks if you wanted, and do a tempo and short reps one week, short and long reps the next week and a tempo and long reps the third week, so you're hitting each session twice in a 3 week period.

16/07/2014 at 18:17

Thats a great idea, something I didn’t think of, that way I’m getting everything in, over the 3 weeks, Thanks Dachs.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.