4 marathons in 4 days

9 messages
02/05/2011 at 11:31
I have stupidly entered the Great Barrow Challenge in September. It's 4 marathons in 4 days. Mostly off road on trails. Quite a few hills. I intend to plod round at an easy pace.

The question is how would training differ for this than for a normal marathon? Should I do back to back long runs? I have found lots of ultra schedules which tend to look like a 15 miler on the Sat and a 20+ miler on the Sun. I can't find any schedules for this sort of event. I thought I might be better to do a 12 on the Sat, a 20 on the Sun and a 10 on the Mon.

I should add I have just done 2 marathons this year, I have a 3rd in June and a 50km in July.
02/05/2011 at 18:32

What sort of mileage do you average weekly?

02/05/2011 at 21:20
Hi Sean. I started a new thread to see if it got any more attention!

I usually run between 40-50 miles a week.
03/05/2011 at 12:52

I will tell you were I am and what I will do......

I have been running approx 50 to 60 miles a week (average) for the last 4 years or so. Ran 17 marathons and 1 ultra last year (ultra was a double marathon). The only "special" training for the double-marathon was back to back long runs (Sat/Sun) of 13 miles each day 5 weeks before, 15 miles each day 4 weeks before and 20 miles each day 3 weeks before. Got around in under 8.30 very comfortably.
Ran 2 marathons on consecutive days last Nov (a track marathon the Saturday in about 3.50 and the Rutland Water marathon on the Sunday in about 3.45).

I had no injuries, no DOMS from either event but went with the sole intention of competing the events with time being very secondary.

Personally, I believe that once you get X amount of training/miles/racing in your legs and maintain a "basic" level of fitness you can pretty much turn your hand to anything that is similar without needing to ramp up the training.
Obviously, "racing" the event over 4 days would be a different kettle of fish to just "getting around" and enjoy the experience.

My last spring marathon with the South Downs in June (8th marathon of the year) and then a gap until early Sep where I will run 3 or 4 (on consectuive Sunday's) before the Great Barrow event. I don't plan to do any back to back long runs at all.

This is going to be my approach based upon what I have previously achieved. I doubt it will work for everyone and may not work even for me

Sometimes less can be more!

What are running in June? South Downs? Boddington?

03/05/2011 at 16:22
Sounds good Sean.

I have never run an ultra and have run 6 marathons and around 15 half marathons in the last 4 years. This year I have done 2 halfs and 2 marathons so far.

I am doing Poppyline Marathon in June, and Fairlands Valley Challenge in July. I will jog round both of these. I am not interested in time at Barrow. Just completing the 4, preferably without too much pain!

It sounds like I can probably get away with not ramping up the training too much then which would be good.
03/05/2011 at 18:48

Have you done Fairlands before?

Hope that you are good at multitasking -  reading instructions, navigating and running simultaneously!

I did it a couple of years ago......never again!

Don't intend to ever run a self-navigate course again. However, I think that there will be a degree (hopefully a very tiny degree) of self-navigate at Barrow.

03/05/2011 at 21:30
It'll give me an excuse to keep stopping
04/05/2011 at 07:11
.....or run an Ultra!
17/06/2013 at 13:21

Ive signed up for the great barrow this year how was it?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
9 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.