4 marathons in 5 weeks....is this ok?

15 messages
06/05/2010 at 21:14

Hi there!

Right, I was just hoping for a bit of reassurance really. I ran the 2010 Virgin London Marathon (my very first marathon) and I am now completey hooked.

I was thinking of signing up for 4 marathons which are literally one week after one another around late september/october of this year. Is it ok to do this? It's not too much is it?

06/05/2010 at 21:21

I do it, but  it might be a bit much if you have only just done one mars

what are your expectatins

M...eldy    pirate
06/05/2010 at 21:24
echo what Hippo said

Its fine once you are used to the distances and do not set expectations to high

I am doing 3 in 3 but I have done 14 of them,  not quite in Hippos league but still a few under my belt!
06/05/2010 at 21:32
As Hippo and Melds say it depends on what you want to achieve.  I'm planning 7 in Sep/Oct but I'm on 25 now and my legs have got accustomed to it plus I tend to take them as LSRs in company so my legs aren't getting the battering they would be if I were racing them.
M...eldy    pirate
06/05/2010 at 21:33
Now I feel inadequate  

I will be on 19 by the end of the year I think
06/05/2010 at 21:39

Kathy 123...what a first post on the forum!

In my crazier moments, looking at the choices of local half marathons in spring, I always had the choice of about 6. Sometimes I thought, yeah I'll do 3 or 4. That feeling generally lasts until I've raced one. Then I suddenly remember why I only race one.

Now, are you thinking about racing the marathons or just getting round? If it's the latter you could probably do it as long as you rest the week in between.

All depends on your level of running. Generally they'd say don't run hard for 26 days after a marathon..but if you're just jogging it...it's ok!

06/05/2010 at 21:40
Melds, I'll never be fast, I'll never be an IM so that leaves me with bling collecting and gunning for a century
M...eldy    pirate
06/05/2010 at 21:43
Gotta love race bling 
06/05/2010 at 21:50

I'm building up slowly - I'd like to become a member of the 100 marathon club at some point.

I agree M...eldy - gotta love race bling

07/05/2010 at 14:50

Hi again...thanks for all your responses.

Vixx76, I'd love to also become a member of the 100 marathon club too....99 to go , he he.

Would love to do the Brathay 10 in 10 someday as well.....

Yeah, as long as I don't race them, fingers crossed it should be ok.

Woah, you've all done so many marathons...amazing!

cougie    pirate
07/05/2010 at 15:12

I only race about 1 marathon a year. I think you'd be loopy to do so many back to back.

I can barely walk until mid week - running a marathon 7 days later wouldnt be my fave thing to do.

Hippo is loopy though - but in a good way. She can crank out marathons in her sleep.

14/05/2010 at 17:37

In 2007 I ran 5 marathons on consecutive weekends to celebrate turning 50

Paris

London

Three Forts (South Downs)

Shakspeare (Stratford upon Avon)

Orpington Mar#fun

Knackered my knees for a while afterwards though.

14/05/2010 at 18:54
I only run my first marathon this year. But  am hooked as well. Planning on doing 3 in 3 weeks at end of September start of October. Can't wait, should be fun.
15/05/2010 at 10:23

It is doable but it depends what your recovery is like. How long did it take you to recover from VLM ?

What are your targets ,a time or just running the distance comfortably.

If you are only after complete each of the marathons it is very doable (if not sensible ) you just have to build you mileage up so that the distance doesn't feel that hard.
The harder you run each one the longer your recovery will take and the more tiredness you will carry over into the next run.

GTC
15/05/2010 at 17:16

My only mild concern would be you wanting to do it this year - which would make it your first five in less than 12 months.

It can be done, if you have the commitment to do it you will get it done - just be prepared for a bit of burn out afterwards (but that will go and you'll be left with great sense of achievement)

Sensible people would say take some time and build up your endurance - but just give it a go and see what happens, limit your expectations to finishing and being able to walk the next day.

Good luck.

GTC

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
15 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.