4 Mile training plan

8 messages
11/11/2005 at 13:35
Any suggestions for a 4 mile training plan? I can run for 30 mins on a treadmill at 8.5km/hr @ 1% incline, but I want to do a boxing day race which is 4 miles with hills. Should I just follow a 5k but add on an extra mile to the distances (or 10 minutes to the times)?
11/11/2005 at 13:53
Click the grey training tab at the top of the page and look at some 5k training plans. Just make sure that one of the runs each week is about 5 miles or more.
JJ
11/11/2005 at 15:38
Just a shot in the dark, Slow-runner, but is your planned boxing day race the Vale of Aylesbury one?

If so, it's not 4 miles (6.5km) any more. It's become 5km.
11/11/2005 at 17:33
SS
No it's not I'm afraid. Mine is definately 4 miles - I've driven it to check.
SR
12/11/2005 at 21:51
Are you doing much running outdoors or many hills ?
16/12/2005 at 14:55
Popsider - Sorry for the long wait for a reply - I got knocked out by a coldy-flu type bug for three weeks then have been converting to running outside for the first time.

So in answer to your question: I wasn't running outdoors or doing any hills when I posted the message, but I am now. I decided to run (run/walk)the route of the race every Sunday, walking up the hills where necessary and have two shorter, flatter runs during the week.

I have seen a huge improvement over the last three weeks. I ran as far as I could up the hill that I was dreading and got much further up than I thought I would.

I'm 'lucky' enough to live in a hilly town and can't really avoid them. It's amazing how much your fitness level improves compared to the treadmill.
16/12/2005 at 15:02
Yes, hills are good. They stress your body as much as a much faster flat run, but without the injury risks due to pounding.

Just one comment : I think you should make one of your weekly flat runs longer, not shorter, than the race distance.

16/12/2005 at 15:20
Thanks JingleGregW, I would add in a second longer run, but as the race is on boxing day there isn't much time to go. Luckily my aim as a middle aged plodder is just to get round the course rather than to win it!

How much to you reign back in the week before a race?

I was planning to do the following:
Sunday: Run the course - 4 miles, hilly
Tuesday: Shorter run of 20 minutes, flat
Thursday: Ditto but hilly
Saturday: Cross train in the gym
Monday: Race day

What do you think, too much or too little?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.