5K Schedules By Doug Rennie

5 messages
06/02/2006 at 12:47
Hi Folks,
Has anybody followed the 12 week 18 min 5K Schedule by Doug Rennie featured on RW pages?

In week 4 your asked to do a 5K race then base subsiquent sessions on the time you achieve in that race.

If you were slower than 18mins over the 5K do you still use it as your 5K pace?
06/02/2006 at 13:17
I followed this schedule, and yes I think the idea is that you use whatever pace you acheived in the 4 week time trial as your 5K pace (if you were quicker than 18min on this trial there wouldn't be any need to follow the schedule)
06/02/2006 at 14:30
Hi Paul,
Yeah fair point about the pacing. Did the schedule work for you, getting under the 18 mins?
06/02/2006 at 17:36
As the schedule progressed I began to deviate a bit from it. I found that although there is a decent amount of mileage in it, the interval sessions aren't particularly challenging in that recoveries are pretty long and there is very little running at sub 18 5K pace. Also the other runs during the week seem to differ only in mileage, but I think it helps to have a faster 20-30 minute tempo run. So I made the interval sessions a bit harder and for one of the 3 or 4 mile runs on the other days I made this a hard continuous run.
07/02/2006 at 08:55
Yeah I know what you mean. I've started to use the 3-4 milers as tempo runs aswell. I'm doing this as change to my normal training. I thought more people would have tried this schedule out.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.