5k time and improvement

21 to 22 of 22 messages
07/12/2012 at 11:29
I think people on here are being unfair and taking what you said out of context. You have had only basic running experience but great natural envious ability. I don,t have great exsperience of running but join a running club. Failing that increase your long runs and your times should drop. If your in uni do they not have a cross country team, I did two x country races recently bloody hard training. Good luck with your training, but definitely join a club.
07/12/2012 at 12:27

So, leaving googling and false modesty aside for a moment, it's still an impressive 5k time. I mean you won't be knocking on Mo Farah's door anytime soon, but for someone relatively new to running, i woudl take encouragement from it, that you have a degree of natural ability that could be developed further.

Now, how best to do that? First thing, as mentioned above would be to join a running club or an athletics club. The advice and experience you'll get from other runners will be of enormous benefit. There's no one-size-fits-all approach to running or training, and it'll take years of continual adjustment for you to find out what works for you best, but if you start off learning some of the basic principles that will help to along the right path.

Reading through the thread on this forum will help, and contributing regularly with the results of your own training will help others who are in your position now of wondering how best to proceed. I find runners to be a very collaborative bunch, and more than willing to share the benefit of their own experience.

A running club will also add some social aspect to your running, which will help stave off the boredom, as running long miles always by yourself can sometimes be plain dull.

In addition, one of the previous posters mentioned increasing your weekly mileage. I second that. If you play footy fairly regularly, and cycle a bit here and there and have run a bit here and there, you may have developed a certain level of fitness, which along with your natural ability enables you to run ~18min 5k. Now to improve you'll need to be specific in your training. Your body will make adaptations because of the strain you put it under. The adaptations will be specific to the type of training you do. It's doubtful that any activity you do now will have developed a big aerobic / endurance base. Middle and long distance runners have HUGE aerobic bases. This is because they spend months and years running high mileage during certain periods of their training. So, rather unintuitively, the way to run quicker is to run for longer. You need time on your feet (at a slower pace, to reduce injury risk) to build this endurance. This will make running your 5k's seem easier at a given pace, and you'll rely less on your anaerobic fitness. I can't stress enough the importance of putting in the miles.

There really are no shortcuts to becoming a good runner, and there's no better way to do it that just doing it.

Good luck, and enjoy it.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 22 of 22 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.