8 mile tempo run?

21 to 24 of 24 messages
05/07/2011 at 10:23

I think training for a Marathon based only on your 5k pace at this stage is a bit counter productive. I would just get out and concentrate on getting your distance up. Speed can come a lot later.

What is the longest distance you have done so far?

If you're not used to long distances you're risking injury.

05/07/2011 at 10:39

Tim- it's my second marathon and I started my 16 week schedule with 14 miles last Sunday- no problems there.  I already do around 35-40 miles per week including one track session and one tempo run/ parkrun.  When I trained for my first mara in April I ended up doing seven 20mile+ long runs and actually ran the whole distance in training.  I'm planning to do the same this time.I love the endurance and have no issues putting in a lot of miles... it's the speed I seem to be struggling with.  I used my 5k time as this is my pb and my most recent (decent) race.  Like I said I've had a couple of crappy weeks but I'm hoping it's just a dip.

05/07/2011 at 16:01
What kind of paces does smart coach give you if you use your recent marathon time?
05/07/2011 at 16:20
Haven't tried that... but would rather not... I don't think it reflects best my current fitness.  I did 3h52min but it was in Madrid- hot and hilly.  I think on a flatter course and a cooler day (which is what I expect in Amsterdam in October) I would be capable of something slightly quicker. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 24 of 24 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.