8wk 1/2M training schedule

3 messages
19/08/2002 at 17:00
Hi

A colleague is hoping to run a 1/2M in just over 8 weeks time. Does anyone know of an 8 week beginners training schedule he could follow? The shortest one I've found is the RW 10 week one. I don't think he's aiming for a time - just to get round - and he does do some running at the moment (half an hour a couple of times a week I think).

Thanks!
19/08/2002 at 17:03
If he runs a bit at the moment, how about doing weeks 1,3,5,6-10 of the 10 week program. If it's too much, he can cut some out rather than risk injury, but if he aims to have done one run of 9 miles+ before the day, he should get round without too much discomfort.
19/08/2002 at 21:00
Hi Doobs,

I'm preparing for my first 1/2M and started with 8 weeks to do it in. Prior to this I was just doing 30 - 40 mins 3 times a week so I started following the RW 10 week prog but just jumped in further ahead.

By adding a long run each Sunday and then increasing this by 10 mins per week, I am slowly getting closer to my goal. I have found this is not too demanding and I'm actually enjoying the longer runs.

I think the most important thing is to increase the training slowly and to take rest days for recovery and to avoid injury.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.