A delicate problem

14 messages
26/02/2011 at 23:57

Having been a runner for a few years I've now taken to cycling to try and optimise my fitness levels and give me some variations.  In the past I've only ever cycled for commuting purposes - no more than 4 miles across town to work and back - and saw it very much as a function rather than enjoyment.  Recently however my OH has got me in to longer, less pressured cycles and I've now signed up for a charidee challenge consisting of 55 miles around Arran and a hill hike.

So.....having done 15 miles today on only my 3rd 'long' cycle I'm finding the probably obvious niggles.  Aching hands below the thumb (more padding required presumably), stiff shoulders (POSE cycling anyone?) and a seriously numb and delicate posterior!  No chaffage as yet but I believe vas/bodyglide is answer to that.  In the meantime, can anyone offer advice on how best to deal with the delicate area of the delicates? 

PS - Not sure if its significant but most of my long cycles will entail a good few hills as I'm surrounded by them - today included a 2 mile climb at approx 50%, a 1.5 at around 30% and long slog of about 2.5 miles up around 40% as well as several smaller inclines.  I'd say in totoal the 15 miles as made up of around 8-10 miles of climbing.  I now officially hate 'Golf Course Hill'.

M...eldy    pirate
27/02/2011 at 00:00
I would suggest initially that a lot of your problems will be caused by the bike set up .... get that sorted (much as you would get your gait checked to run) and then all it will be is time in the saddle to get used to it

If you are climbing 50% hills then you should give Lance a run for his money  
cougie    pirate
27/02/2011 at 00:06
Lol ! As meldy says -50% hills ? So if it was 2 miles long - your altitude went up by 1 mile. Hope you are free in July !
27/02/2011 at 00:17

Thanks!  I hadn't thought of the bike set up, I have a mate who can advise on that I suspect so will collar him tomorrow.  I haven't adjusted the saddle since the day I bought it!  I'm a proper nitwit novice type when it comes to cycling.

Actually cougie, now that you say that......it maybe wasn't as steep as 50% throught but i don't think it would be far off it as an overall climb.  Obviously though I am a relative newbie to the art of cycling and whilst I can judge running distance pretty well I guess my climb gauge will need a bit of tweaking! There's a sign at the base of the hill, I'll check it tomorrow but I can promise you its a steep one - one of those that makes you feel like your lungs are making a break for freedom, right before your breakfast! 

Lance should be scared.  I bet you anything he'd struggle to attain 7 minute miling on his bike after forgetting to reset the garmin for cycle mode! 

27/02/2011 at 08:35

we do montain biking and a lot of the men suffer from what they call 'monkey butt' it's horrible term but they have tried vaseline, sudocreme blah de blah but nothing worked.....however....have a go at this...Brilliant!! it has worked a treat and no more sore bottoms and bits.

28/02/2011 at 08:47

Numb and delicate posterior will probably ease with more cycling I had that when I started commuting 14 miles twice a day it got better by the start of week 2 but for a couple ofa days I was wincing slightly for the first 5 min as I settled into the saddle

To put it bluntly your arse will harden up over time (not in way that you will notice in terms of leathery skin or anything it will just get used to the saddle)

28/02/2011 at 09:38

The steepest road in the world is 38% at its most steep.

The only way to get better at hills is to ride them more often but it's a good feeling, riding past people as they're gasping for breath (obviously it's a few years since I've done it but I have a good memory )

What are you wearing to ride in?  The right shorts can make a big difference to comfort.

Edited: 28/02/2011 at 09:39
01/03/2011 at 21:56

Not to be an elitist jerk, but ...

30-50% hills? Are you cycling up Mt.Everest?

A comparsion is that most downhill courses in the WorldCup have an incline ~15%.

According to your first post, you gained an altitude of 3.14m during that session. That is over 5000 meters !! Not even sure there are any place on earth where you can find a drop of 5000meters in 15m Might be able to find it if you go under the water to the Marianer trench.

Edited: 01/03/2011 at 21:58
01/03/2011 at 22:39
Your weight should be roughly equally distributed between saddle, bars and pedals then you may find the problem goes away. To check that your saddle is the right height put a pedal at bottom dead centre, put your heel on the pedal and adjust the saddle height so that your leg is slightly bent. Then pedal with your forefoot
JJ
01/03/2011 at 23:00

OK, so taking in to account my clear bike climb ego/numptiness, and advice on such things (based on a very experienced cyclist mate of mine who I spoke to yesterday), that the hills maybe weren't as my traumatised mind remembered but were in fact "big fuck off climbs" suitable apparently only for "fucking retards and sadists"

I think I'll be looking at saddle height, better nappy pants better than Decathlon's own  brand "Cyclopampers - moisture wicking" and hardening the feck up in the 'trunk' department

So...cyclists are generally nails, yes?

01/03/2011 at 23:19
No idea, I got rid of my bike
01/03/2011 at 23:24
Pussy 
01/03/2011 at 23:29
Miaow
02/03/2011 at 08:04
Have a look here for a great laugh and the occasional bit of sensible advice .

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
14 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.