A lesson learned...

15 messages
Ratbag    pirate
20/02/2003 at 14:47
It's strange how one still forgets lessons learned by others.

I guess in general I am a 8 - 8.30 min per mile runner..although on shorter runs of 6 - 7 miles I can get round at sub 8 pace.

The idea today was a tempo run of 6 miles route I've done nefore..

...howver, the weather was looking good and I felt like going for it a bit...so I covered the first two miles (mostly up hill but not steep)in 15.01..(not bad, I'm thinking, in fact faster than I've ever done it before..)...conscious of this, I eased back a little and the third mile was covered in 7.38...the next half mile was pretty much all up hill and by the time I got to the top I was feeling a little sick...however, I soldiered on, my pace dropping like a stone...

I finally cut the run a little short and struggled back to find that my overall time was exactly 8 min per mile...

Two days ago I ran just over 6 miles in about 7.50 pace....

The lesson...going out too hard bites you back big style...

I'm only hoping my legs aren't too shot to do the Bramley 20 on Sunday...

I WON'T be training like that again...

RB
20/02/2003 at 16:23
Rb - sounds like one of my sessions.
I must start slower....
I must start slower....
I must start slower....
I must start slower....
I must start slower....
Monique    pirate
20/02/2003 at 16:29
My mantra after passing the first mile marker in a race is usually "F**K, S**t, F**k,S**T!"
20/02/2003 at 18:07
Is that aloud Monique:)?
20/02/2003 at 18:08
RB-at least you know not to go like that in a race!
20/02/2003 at 18:09
At the start of a race, when everyone seems to be passing me, I justify it all with the knowledge that I'm 'saving myself' for the rest of the race. I think it generally works too.
20/02/2003 at 18:19
I tell myself that too, Hildegard, and expect to pass them all in the last couple of miles.

I never, ever do.
20/02/2003 at 19:16
Ratbag,

Your tempo run description sounds just like mine used to be (at about the same pace), in fact I dreaded those 6 mile 'fast' runs.
Explaining this to a more experienced runner one day at work drew a look of horror and a lesson on warming up and down properly.
Following his advice I now start at a gentle pace (10min/m)and use the first mile to gradually build up to tempo pace, hold this for 6 miles, then use the last mile to taper down back to a jog.
Since doing this I feel fresh the next day, and my tempo pace has come down from 7.8 to 7.5 min/mile in a month, and my long run pace has improved too.
The Evil Pixie    pirate
21/02/2003 at 08:25
hildegrad is that the "I'll pick them off one at a time at the end" line?
I use that!
I've now got up to an all time best of having up to 4 people behind me when I finish!!
cns
21/02/2003 at 08:27
My mantra after passing the first mile marker in a race is usually "F**K, S**t, F**k,S**T!" ---- so Monique, exactly how do those **s sound? I think i could use something like that
21/02/2003 at 09:25
And the best thing is, I really do pick them off at the end of the race. Well, even if it's just one, I'm happy!
Ratbag    pirate
21/02/2003 at 09:55
I'm glad I'm not the only one who makes this mistake...I'm telling myself 'never again'...and hope I can stick to it.

Pint of Stella....it sounds like a good plan. I'll try it out next week...as it happens, my legs don't for some reason feel like planks of wood today so fingers crossed I'll get round in one piece on Sunday....

Monique...LOL..thanks for that...I'll be thinking of you at the first mile marker....
21/02/2003 at 13:26
Isn't it easy to know what you SHOULD do, then completely fail to put it into practise?

Time after time (after time) I have started out too fast on a run and ended up practically on my knees by the end. I think I'm getting a little better at not doing this but there's still a way to go!
21/02/2003 at 14:08
My first 10k mile is always nearer 8 min/m than 9.

last one is always nearer 10 min
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
21/02/2003 at 19:09
I think marathons are the only races that most of us don't go out too fast on, simply because it's impossible!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
15 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.