Accurately determing Max HR

8 messages
18/06/2007 at 09:28
How do I accurately determine max HR? Do I do a run to warm up then sprint up a hill to exhaustion or do I do a set distance at gradually quicker pace until I'm flat out (on the floor)?
Answers and suggestions gratefully received.

I have a HRM and have recorded values (average and maximum HR) from a 5 mile and 10km race in the past 6 weeks. However, according to those values I am running at 92-95% MHR in my races! I somehow think my max HR is higher as it would then give me a figure which would make my av HR in a race about the 85% mark not the 95% mark!
18/06/2007 at 12:51
18/06/2007 at 13:07
cheers Lizzie but that doesn't seem as good as this one I've found http://www.performancetrainingsystems.com/backup010906/news/New%20Tips/HR_testing_protocol.htm

basically take the average of the last 20mins of your 5 mile time as your anaerobic threshold. Cheers anyway peeps
18/06/2007 at 15:34
mmmm
anaerobic threshold is not he same as maxHR - far from it!!!
18/06/2007 at 16:36
sorry I meant AT = Aerobic Threshold = race pace. Thanks for pulling me up on that anomaly!
18/06/2007 at 19:06
MM, for what its worth. I race marathons at 85% MHR, 1/2m & 10 milers at 88/89% MHR, 5K's & 10K's at 90 to 93%Max at the end of which if I put the boot down I will get up to 95% MHR.

In my humble experience your hardest effort at the end of a race is about 5% lower than your Max HR.

The test(s) that I use for determining HR max is -

After a thorough warm up -

1: 1 x 800m flat out, recover three minutes then 1 x 400m flat out. You should finish the distance in a choking, heaving, lactic filled wobble. Record your highest HR on your monitor.

2: 2 x 400m to 600m uphill sprints. Post rep distress should be the same as above.

Do expect it to be very uncomfortable.
21/06/2007 at 14:30
well I pulled in a favour from a mate at the local uni and got a maximal test done on the treadmill for free :-)
Got 1bpm higher than the value I recorded during the hill repeats I did last week with the local club and my aerobic threshold looks like it's pretty much where I thought it was.
I took the average of the last 3 miles of a recent 5 mile event as my aerobic threshold and it's within 1bpm of my AT from today's test so at least I now know what I thought was correct, actually is correct.

Goes to show that running at 85% for the shorter races is NOT the right thing to do; maybe for the longer races (HM,etc)
21/06/2007 at 14:32
Sodahead - your figures do stand up to what I am finding out by trial and error. Many thanks.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.