"Advanced Marathoning" - Pfitzinger & Douglas

141 to 149 of 149 messages
29/04/2006 at 15:18
LW2, 70%-75% MHR is good for general aerobic.
30/04/2006 at 21:44
Thanks Cartman. I have now worked out my heart rates for training, except for the medium long runs. Should these be done at the same heart rate intensity as the Long Runs?

Oh, and any of you guys on here doing the Abingdon Marathon in October?
03/05/2006 at 11:03
It's ok, I found the answer to the above question when re-reading the book. "..the pace for these runs should be similar to the pace of your long runs..."
03/05/2006 at 11:24
Hi all....just improved my HM pb from 1.35.15 to 1.31.38...hopefully 5k and 10k will show similar types of improvement so that I can set reasonable pace levels for P&D (starting end of June).

Will try to get HM time below 1.30 at East Kilbride (25 June).

Question on HR v pace. Having followed Hadd closely over the last few months, I do almost all of my runs by HR rather than pace. This means that, when I hit a hill, my pace drops (sometimes significantly) so that HR stays within set limits.

Although P&D gives HRs for all of the key sessions, it also gives pace. So, which one should take precedent? My instinct is that I should move more towards pace based training relative to current race times.

What do you all think?
03/05/2006 at 11:32
Hi David, fantastic news regarding your new pb, well done!

I have to admit I sometimes get confused with the mention of heart rate and pace.
I am sure I read in this book (might have been another one though), that unless you run on the same flat section of road or track when you do every training run, then heart rate is better to use as you may struggle to stay in a general aerobic heart rate when hitting hills/inclines if you are worrying about pace, you may end up in VO2 or Lactate Threshold heart rate. Does that make sense?
But I may have misunderstood this, so if I am wrong, hopefully someone can put me right so I can alter my training.
03/05/2006 at 11:49
DF - Hadd would say always stick to HR as that is what the training is based on. Thing is, come summer your HR is elevated due to heat, your pace drops and you can become dispirited. If you're targeting an autumn marathon it'll all come back though.
03/05/2006 at 17:14
Cheers guys...
15/06/2006 at 10:23
I've just started the <70mpw 18wk schedule. Can anyone tell me what pace and %MHR to run the General Aerobic sessions? I'm guessing it would about 80%MHR?
15/06/2006 at 14:40
nrg-b: P+D suggest 75-80%MHR.

I followed this advice, and let the pace take care of itself. From memory I think it tended to deliver about MP + 10% (ie the pace achieved at the end of a P+D long run).

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
141 to 149 of 149 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.