Advice and getting back into PR shape.

1 message
06/07/2013 at 04:51

I haven't ran consistently in a long while, and really want to whip myself back into PR shape.

I really want to get my 5k/10k time down and build up to the Half/Full marathon. Currently, I have been training for about 2 months consistently (I was in school and student teaching during the Spring). I started doing mostly 4 mile runs with a 6-8 mile long run, but have now started doing 6 miles for most of my runs with a weekly long run of 8 miles (which I will soon bump up to 10-12). Currently, I am hitting around 30 miles per week.

I usually do my runs a little under 7-minute pace, but did a recent 6-miler at 6:30 pace, and actually did a 39 minute 6-miler just today. Admittedly, this pace is not conversational pace for me, but it does feel relaxed for the most part. I am usually breathing hard by the end, but I am not completely spent and I usually recover my breath within a couple of minutes. The pace just feels good and natural and I really don't push it that hard.

I also usually go to the gym 1-2 times a week and do about 4 upper body machines, a quad machine, hamstring machine, leg press, and crunches. I do 15-20 reps for 3 sets of each machine and 3 sets of 50 crunches on an incline bench.

What else should I be doing, and where should I go from here? I ran my Junior and Senior year in highschool (16:40 3 mile PR and 10:28 2 mile PR) and one year at a local college (28:55 8k PR and 36:30 10K PR). I haven't been coached since then and didn't run a whole lot after my freshman year of college, although I did play a lot of Ultimate Frisbee.

Any advice, suggested interval workouts, recommendations, and general feedback would be greatly appreciated!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
1 message
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.