Advice required from Marathon Training Expert

11 messages
25/03/2010 at 20:31

A bit of a hypothetical question really, but I'll give it a go anyway........

I'm currently marathon training for Paris in 2 and a bit weeks time.  If I'm entirely honest with myself, I haven't trained hard enough, nor done all of the LSR's and I'm back to my usual feeling a couple of weeks worrying about whether I'll get around!  Although I have run 2 marathons before, they were way too long ago, before I even became a pest on this forum......

So, my question is about hitting the wall.  My last couple of LSR's have been cold, windy days, I have eaten rubbish in the days leading up to it (I'm good at that), I only drink water after every lap (about 7 miles) and there are no crowds to cheer me on or adrenaline of the big day to see me through.

So, on the basis that I seem to hit around 18 miles and can't go any further, on the big day with eating well prior, crowds, adrenaline, fuelling stations etc at what point do you think I will reach this stage?  I am hoping to last as long as possible so I only have a few miles to grind out, but am worried that if I crash and burn at 18, I'm gonna be screwed and it may be a long walk!

Honest opinions, or guesses would be nice!  (If it helps, I've ran 18 miles twice, 17 twice and done a 16.3 mile race, but have ran no further than 18 miles).  Let's just say my schedule other than that has been patchy, perhaps 3/4 runs per week.

25/03/2010 at 21:25

I am a slacker.  I always start with good intentions, but then nighs out, takeaways, weekends away etc all get in the way. And I know what I'd rather be doing!!

25/03/2010 at 21:55

IMO, taper + sensible carb loading strategy + sensible pace on the day...  is getting you 90% of the way towards avoiding the wall.  Yes, eat a good breakfast and sort out your race fuel / hydration strategy as well, but it's all in the preparation.  It's difficult to know whether it'll get you all the way there without knowing just how crap your pre-LR nutrition has been, but I reckon you've got every chance of avoiding the wall completely.

You'll most probably fade towards the end anyway, through the good old-fashioned physiological mechanism of being 'bloody knackered' but we wouldn't do it if it wasn't a challenge, eh? 

cougie    pirate
25/03/2010 at 23:19
I'm with phil on this - don't forget - you'll be better rested for race day - that's a big help for you.
You do need to be fairly sensible in the couple of days up to the race - but no need to live like a monk for the week before.
Have you got your nutrition strategy sorted out for the race ? So long as you can take on enough energy - you shouldn't hit the wall as such. Sure you'll slow toward the end, but you shouldn't blow up as such.
26/03/2010 at 04:38

I was planning a last 18 miler this weekend (2 weeks before race) and then a 2 week taper down.  As for nutrition strategy, I don't really have one and would welcome ideas.  I know nothing more than eating sensibly with a carb rich diet close to the race.  I won't be drinking alcohol and am happy to give myself the best chance I require.

Thanks for the advice. I fully expect to have my leg falling off towards the end, just the later the better!

26/03/2010 at 08:08
If you don't want to do the long runs why don't you do shorter events? 
26/03/2010 at 09:25
Moraghan - you are quite correct, and that is exactly what I will do in future.  My shorter distance times indicate that i am far better off sticking with those, but the things you sign up for eh?!  I'm stuck with it now and am going to do it regardless, so wouldn't mind a bit of your expertise to help me along.
26/03/2010 at 13:21
Have you tried sports drinks, gels or other energy sources while you're running?  Even something as simple as a couple of jelly babies per mile can get you over the 18 mile slump. 
cougie    pirate
26/03/2010 at 13:23

Yes - try the jelly baby thing on your next long run.  Ideally you'd have done this already - but I think its worth trying.

Gels are the other option and seem to work for me - one every 5 miles.

26/03/2010 at 13:35

I tried gels on my 16.3 race every 5 miles water station.  The first 2 everything seemed great but on the last one I washed down a Lucozade gel with Lucozade Sport (it was the only drink they handed out, and I have since found out that this was a useless exercise).  As I started to feel sluggish thereafter I thought maybe I didn't agree with them.

Perhaps will give them another go on Sunday, but properly this time!  As well as Jelly Babies......

26/03/2010 at 13:35
The first two stations they handed out water.....

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
11 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.