Alcohol & Marathon Training...

21 to 32 of 32 messages
11/10/2012 at 13:54

I don't think he can hear you, unless his half bottle of wine sent him into a deep sleep and he's only just woken up six years later. 

I'm serious about my running but I've got no intention of giving up alcohol, because it would make the rest of my life less enjoyable!

11/10/2012 at 14:48

I've not drunk for nearly four weeks now in preparation for my first marathon on Sunday. It's been (very!) hard but I think it's helped; it's certainly meant that my long Sunday runs haven't been too much of a killer. And I've shaved 32 seconds from my 5k time (although I'd probably attribute most of that to the extra training and stamina).

11/10/2012 at 14:59
parrotmad wrote (see)
Thanks for all your thoughts! Looks like the general concensus is that I don't need to give my wine up, just what I was hopeing to hear!!!

That's more like it, a glass/bottle/box half full attitude......

11/10/2012 at 15:48

I tried it (abstention) for 6 weeks before a marathon. Didn't make any damned difference!!

And wifey said if I ever do it again, she would divorce me!

11/10/2012 at 17:57

Absolutely - Steve Jones broke the world half marathon record the day after drinking ten pints of cider!

Possibly a bit extreme for us mere mortals, but a good pint of beer (not that lager nonsense!) is full of electrolytes and other healthy stuff. A glass of beer or red wine a day has proven health benefits to help guard against heart disease and other nasties, and the relaxation effects of (sensible!) drinking can't begin to be quanitifed.

Calorific value of alcohol is another issue, but not a big problem if you train hard!

Bottoms up!!

11/10/2012 at 18:01
Nessie wrote (see)
Since I started running, even a small amount of alcohol makes me very tiddly.

Makes me a cheap date. )

Nessie, if you're a lady... may I interest you in a date? (Blows dust from wallet)

11/10/2012 at 19:04

I haven't had a drink in ages. I don't drink alone and the silly one has a stomach ulcer so can't drink. I do miss it a bit but on the whole I can't say that day to day it's made much of an impact to my life. Just the occaisional evening when I'd normally relax with a glass of red.

Still, I like being able to get up early for my Weekend runs.

11/10/2012 at 23:23

I've given up for the past 3 weeks and will continue until my marathon in 2 weeks,Will let you all know if it has helped although I guess it will be hard to prove. I certainly think when your in taper and the body is trying to repair and rebuild that cutting the booze is a good idea. After a few drinks the body will be expending energy and resource trying to break the alchohol down.

12/10/2012 at 16:14

Crikey , I have to run just to compensate for a nice glass or 2 of Vino, life is to be enjoyed & I enjoy wine much more than running.... for now at least! Maybe one day the scales will tip the other but a winter without a cosy evening & wine in hand would make the winter drag far more than necsesary!!

12/10/2012 at 16:29

This is a really encouraging thread .... I have no interest in giving up alcohol in my life, except in the tapering periods of training. Have had some people telling me that if I don't stop drinking altogether (ie for six months before my 1st marathon) I am not taking it seriously.

Running is great but not at a total sacrifice of the other things I enjoy in life ... and a few cheeky glasses of vino is one of those things. Having said, I find myself drinking fruity cider the evenings of long runs as I need the sugar boost to keep me awake.

12/10/2012 at 16:59

I believe you just need to be sensible - most of the time!! Along with several others from our club we went off to Chester for this past weekend to run the marathon. One thing led to another and we all went off for something to eat but none of the pubs/restaurants seemed to have Lucozade Sport available so we opted for beer! Didn't intend to but managed 4 x pints on the Saturday. Got up, ran the race and came in 3.14hr - perhaps the carbs help?!! 

12/10/2012 at 17:07

did my first 20km run last week fuelled on left over prawn crackers that I'd woken up and eaten at 7am. it went very well.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 32 of 32 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.