Alcohol

21 to 25 of 25 messages
02/04/2013 at 11:22

I'd say you'd be better off giving it up entirely, as I know I would, but that you need to be realistic. I just try not to drink if I have a run planned for the next day and when I do drink, don't drink too much and drink plenty of water too. Of course, this doesn't always work out as I intend!I'd really love to stop drinking entirely but I like it too much!

02/04/2013 at 11:44
SuperCaz wrote (see)

My coach encourages a small glass of wine or one beer the night before a key race.  His reasoning is that if you are excited or nervous about the race then you won't sleep well and that will impact on your race more than any marginal dehydration you may have.  A small tipple may also help you relax and sleep better so can even be beneficial.

But you need to work out what suits you.  I used to do all of my long runs after drinking the night before (but not getting drunk) and it worked for me.

SuperCaz wrote (see)

My coach encourages a small glass of wine or one beer the night before a key race.  His reasoning is that if you are excited or nervous about the race then you won't sleep well and that will impact on your race more than any marginal dehydration you may have.  A small tipple may also help you relax and sleep better so can even be beneficial.

But you need to work out what suits you.  I used to do all of my long runs after drinking the night before (but not getting drunk) and it worked for me.

SuperCaz wrote (see)

SuperCaz wrote (see)

SuperCaz wrote (see)

SuperCaz sack your coach, i gave up drinking altogether 3 years ago (havent touched a drop since).I drank for 20 years previous to that.I have been runnining for many years, i have a very physical job, but since giving up drinking i sleep all through the night.Where as a pint or glass of wine at night used to make me ha

02/04/2013 at 11:45

Behave yoursen life's too short to prioritise running over drinking or drinking over running.

Just do both and whatever you achieve is what you were supposed to achieve.  Unless you're a pro, I can't see any merit in killing off other areas of your life that are enjoyable to improve your running.

Besides, there's almost no comparable feeling better than having rewarded yourself for a hard race, mega long run or tough training session with a pint of cold barley water.  Ahhhhhh

02/04/2013 at 11:49

cont:have an unsettled sleep.Dont go 2 bed worrying about the run ahead.train harder, sleep better, or try REGULAR bed exercises.

02/04/2013 at 14:49

now that's more like it.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 25 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.