alex_h's training

21 to 22 of 22 messages
12/07/2011 at 20:04

OK, so an update on what's happened over the last 2 weeks...let's call them weeks 3 and 4 of base building.

First...weighday 27/06 =  lost 0.6lbs - total weight loss = 1lb - weight 14st 3lb

Week 3

4 runs - 19.55m

1 bike session

Lost 1.2lb - total weight loss 2.2lb - weight 14st 1.8lb

Week 4

5 runs - 23.99m

lost 1lb, so now 14st 0.8lb and have lost 3.2lb so far. So, I am getting there!

Now I am building up the mileage and aiming for 30 miles p/w. I plan to build up to this over the next 3 weeks (starting yesterday)

Contemplating when to enter a race...just to get a 5/10k time. I'd like to do one before the baby arrives at the beginning of October (11 weeks this Sunday). But will be struggling to train for it adequately (i.e. a 8-12 week plan). Thinking that I need another 2 weeks after this week to build up to target mileage (30 miles) then 4 weeks maintaining that mileage and adding strides.

Is there merit in just getting a time recorded? Say in 7 weeks time? (after the targets above are achieved) so that I can structure goal times etc around that in a training plan. My Marathon time is an inaccurate benchmark, due to the injury, so only have my HM from March to go on. I just feel that I'm in a completely different place to where I was and should be starting from scratch! 

Any advice?
12/07/2011 at 21:09

Hi Alex..... It depends on what you want.... Some people are happy just to run without ever considering doing a race... And others like the challenges running brings...

I would recommend geting a 5k under your belt, plenty mid-week events and parkruns knocking around at the moment......  With the training your doing you could quite easy knock out a 5k this week, most are enter on the night....Also consider joining a club, most do monthly time trials which would also be a benifit....

Once you've got a 5k time.... Then use the "Training Pace Calcalator" on this site, which will give you the pace for the session you are doing.....

Good Luck in what you decide...

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 22 of 22 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.