Another pacing question

5 messages
17/02/2013 at 14:52

In training for my first marahon, I took a bit of a guess at what time to aim for. I use my half marathon time, but it was from a while ago and not during much training, and so aimed for a sub 4.15 (thinking sub 4 was within reach but perhaps needed the experience of my first marathon, so would aim for sub 4 next time round).

I'm slightly questioning this pace now. My LSR's have been slow...I've purposefully not looked at my watch and run comfortably at a pace I can have a conversation at. I feel I'm going very slow (in fact I usually think it's too slow), but they all end up with an average moving time of 9.45-9.50. So what sort of pace should I aim for for the actual marathon? Aim for 9.30 but if I have some in the tank, go harder at the end? I've done 18 miles at 9.45 and it felt comfortable and I could have carried on. My mileage isn't that high (mid 30's atm), so maybe still aim for 9.30? Just feel perhaps I should aim for more?

To add to this, I'm planning on doing the Hyde Park 20 miler. Would it be a good idea to maybe try out 9.30 pace at this (it's 6 weeks before my marathon) and see how I get on? Thanks!

17/02/2013 at 19:22

You ideally need a better setup before thining about dropping 15-20 second per mile over marathon distance of such a low weekly mileage. More than likly 9.45 is going to be your race pace. The Hyde Park will be a good indicator however may be a very bad idea for someone who is operating of such low mileage, in terms of timescaling i mean. I think it may be more beneficial to do a 'test' over a shorter...maybe 10k and use a calc(mcmillan) to give you an idea on where your fitness is.

17/02/2013 at 20:52

Thanks for this. I have been unable to get out muchfor various reasons the past few weeks hence the low mileage, although have been cross training. However these coming two weeks I have a lot more time and so would like to push the mileage up a bit more. Is increasing by more than 15% very unwise?? I will obviously listen to my body as to what is best...but I'd like to get the mileage up but don't know how much is too much....?
(Also, did a test 10k -not a real race but I did a test run as part of my training a few weeks ago, that put me on target for a marathon pace of 9.10. I am a bit wary of these calculators so feel it might be off a bit...)

17/02/2013 at 20:55

Also...another ps....the current mileage is based off 3-4 runs a week. I am able (for the next couple of weeks at least) to fit in another run, or even two...would another run of say 5-6 miles be an ok way to push the mileage up a bit, or is that too much?

17/02/2013 at 21:38

Was thinking over the next two weeks to increase the mileage up to 40, drop back a bit for a week or so, then hover around 40, with a max of 45.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.