Are you inspired by Alex Vero's ambitions, or slightly insulted?

601 to 620 of 726 messages
07/04/2008 at 12:26
you can still get 1:72 scale airfix miniature soldiers, so the world clearly hasn't changed that much in the past 30 years.  hurrah!
07/04/2008 at 12:39

Surely, there is less polution now than there was 30 years ago?

Wouldn't most homes of had a coal fire back then? Pollution from factories etc too.

We have all this health and safety stuff at work (and home) that surely our general environment has got to better now than it was 30 years ago.

Or is it down to all the additives in food etc and general contact with chemicals that are deemed as being "safe" in our modern lfe style?

07/04/2008 at 12:58
But isn't "The Project" now about somebody else (Ben Moreau) not him?
07/04/2008 at 13:50
I would imagine there are far less people comming into running from a early age. I would imagine most youngsters are more intrested in football/rugby/cricket?
07/04/2008 at 16:47

The project is now focussed on ben moreau? a young english guy i think ,fantastic runner.

global warming? are we not in a worse place than we were a while back or is the cutting down on fossil fuels and the like old news from a long time ago? i do agree that not enough younger people are getting in from a young age but at the same time how many young people run cross country at school ? i know its not as usual as a few years back. Is there a right answer or an overall answer for the question? its more a matter of opinion. maybe this could be a start of how do we get youger people into running?

07/04/2008 at 23:10
"I'm friends with several runners who have come from the heady heights of 3.30 for marathon to about 2.45 for the same distance using hard work and yet holding down a steady job and juggling the busier life that seems to be around at the present, where we have to work around 12hour days just to keep the wolf from the door."

Fell Liker- this is partly the problem a lot of us had with the documentary immediately. Most of us know a fair few guys like this and I've already given examples of others earlier who started like this and did progress into 2:15 guys over years of hard work. I think the question a lot of us are asking is why aren't these guys who have worked for years to bring their times down working 12 hour days being feted instead of someone who has not yet come close to their marathon times despite focusing on it full time.

Ben is an absolutely top lad. Truly dedicated to the sport and has been working extremely hard for a number of years and has been rewarded in turn with some fantastic performances including pulling on a GB vest for the world student cross team together with working on a very academically demanding course (well I say that...the time Ben has taken to actually hand his DPhil in has become legendary!).

Looking forward to more of a focus on this fantastic talent.
08/04/2008 at 12:33
so you're complaining that a chavbox programme will be made about somebody who doesn't strictly deserve the attention, it based on merit?   christ, have you ever watched the chavbox recently?  it's all soap operas and "celebrities".  hardly shining examples of human endeavour.  in any field.
08/04/2008 at 18:38

Maybe the showing of this documentary on national tv would give some inspiration to younger or new runners etc? I know for one how motivated i feel by the LM so a documentary may also provide the edge some need to get out running.

just a passing thought

19/04/2008 at 09:01
How did this chap get on?
Stump    pirate
21/04/2008 at 07:50
Yeah, what was his time? And the other guys he blagged spots for............
Stump    pirate
21/04/2008 at 07:51
I looked all over for those sodding 1.72 scale soldiers. Can't get the romans anywhere..............
21/04/2008 at 07:59
Alex was injured

The targets are directed at Amsterdam
Stump    pirate
21/04/2008 at 08:39

When's that then?

I hope he gets better

21/04/2008 at 09:20

is evil alex vero the bloke who dresses like a clown, heinously collects charity money on the way round, but shockingly skips out half the course?

online forum witch hunts:  not only are they balanced and reasoned, but they have a significant influence on people who actually matter!

Stump    pirate
21/04/2008 at 10:04
Nah, he's one of those Turpentine runners. The clowns in the stripey kit.
21/04/2008 at 12:18
It's funny there was an article in AW about him last week - in there he is a bit of a hero for trying to run a half decent marathon and from going from 4 hours to mid 2:40
Stump    pirate
21/04/2008 at 13:41
Anybody who gets under 3 hours is a bit of a hero to me..........
22/04/2008 at 11:02
i've got it down to 5 seconds
22/04/2008 at 11:02
oh, are you still talking about running?
Stump    pirate
22/04/2008 at 13:45
Running? I thought we were on about sh@gging..........
601 to 620 of 726 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.