Are you inspired by Alex Vero's ambitions, or slightly insulted?

621 to 640 of 726 messages
04/05/2008 at 11:39
Picked this up of a cycling forum - the guy that won the Blackpool Marathon this year is a well known UK cyclist who has just taken up running - did close to 2.30.     Now I know he's coming into it with a high level of fitness but still pretty impressive I think.  
04/05/2008 at 14:21
Yes, impressive indeed.  That marathon was short though by many accounts...
04/05/2008 at 14:55
BR,
Do you have any links to the "many accounts" and how short was it according to this info?
04/05/2008 at 16:39
Yes I'd like to know too, if it's significant I want to make sure I get an entry in next year.
04/05/2008 at 16:57

MM - have a look on the Blackpool thread on events.  There are Garmin readings (which mean nothing in themselves) but also experienced runners analysing their times and smelling a rat.  Also go onto Athletics Data and see how many runners ran significant pbs.

It's not been proved one way or the other it was short, but there are serious questions about it.

04/05/2008 at 17:19

Hiily,
Thanks for the info.

That's really depressing.

The last thing you want to hear when you've put your heart and soul into an event such as a marathon is to learn that the organisers couldn't get things sorted enough to produce a course of the right length.

Still, could've been worse, imagine being Tomas Abyu and missing a slot at Beijing because the Dublin course wasn't ratified!!!!!!!! 

04/05/2008 at 17:39
Don't courses have to get some kind of official ratification prior to the event ? 
04/05/2008 at 18:13
Well, regardless of whether the course was long or short, he still *won*    (which is what counts, after all).  Before anyone belittles his achievement, perhaps they should look at the (previous) pbs/standard of the people he beat to see if his achievement is of note... CBA to spend too long looking but I see third placed Tony Hazell has run a 1.15 half marathon (finished Blackpool in 2:36), so not a completely useless runner.
04/05/2008 at 18:31

LizzyB,
Long time, no speak.
Sorry but I totally disagree.
Can't imagine that I'd ever be bragging that I once won a 26.1M race.
Doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

Frankly, I'd be furious and I'd be seeking a refund from the organisers.

04/05/2008 at 18:59

LizzyB - no one is belittling his achievement in winning handsomely.  The point I was making was that the course was short.  I know the runner you mention quite well and have raced against him on many occasions.  I generally beat him in road races - so yes, a good standard club athlete and one of the people MM says would have trained hard and been robbed of what would be a fantastic time for him.

I believe I said the winner's performance was impressive, coming from no running background and winning a decent standard marathon.  I just wanted to point out the times are suspect.

04/05/2008 at 19:03
Re. Dublin - I knew there was something suspect about that course - I made it about 20 mins too long
04/05/2008 at 19:48

BR
For gawds sake, don't tell Mr Abyu that.

Have to agree after looking at the thread (thanks for the link Hilly), and the data that it looks *very* suspicious. What a bummer, I'd be gutted. But to be honest I'm not totally suprised. A chap that I know (in terms of race results) managed to convert a 76 min-flat 1/2M in mid-Feb into a 2:35 marathon at Blackpool. I'm not saying that's impossible, but it does seem extremely unlikely. 

Again, I'd be furious. 

04/05/2008 at 20:02
MM - yup I think most 'serious' runners would be able to see there's something not quite right with those times.  I agree I'd be furious and I feel for those who did it.  Unless the organisers admit to it being short those times will stand and therefore there will some on the rankings in the wrong place. 
04/05/2008 at 20:04
I also think it will belittle the achievements of those who have run the full marathon distance but without it being the fault of those who didn't.  
Edited: 04/05/2008 at 20:04
04/05/2008 at 20:59

<delurks> 

Hilly,

Someone on the sub-3.15 thread posted a link to the course measurement website.  As I recall, it said the last time Blackpool marathon was measured officially was 2002 and the course has changed since then, as it was certainly a single lap course in 2004 (when I ran it) but is now a two lap course.  Now, I accept that that website may be wrong and the new course has been measured, but it's a real pity if it hasn't.  It can be measured afterwards and retrospectively corrected, apparently.

<relurks>

04/05/2008 at 21:51

Alex,
How's the training going.
Is a sub-2:30 on the cards in 24 weeks?

04/05/2008 at 23:01
Can someone update me on Alex please? Did he get sub 2:30?
05/05/2008 at 07:14
Athletics Data.com have scrubbed the Blackpool Marathon from the rankings due to it being short.  Agree if it were me I'd be demanding my money back.
06/05/2008 at 16:03

Re: Tomas Abyu in Dublin

I don't think it was because the course wasn't ratified. It wasn't on the list of courses you could achieve an Olympic Qualification which the IAAF posts out and anybody can get access to the list. The Boston marathon also isn't on this list.

If you want to make a qualification attempt as far as I'm aware you've to tell someone I suppose in UK athletics that you're making the attempt a few days prior. Now if he had have told someone surely they'd have said "that course isn't on the list, it won't count" and he wouldn't have raced it. Instead it appears he got the time and then told them he got it and they pointed out that he was meant to tell them before hand and the course isn't on the list. All a bit stupid really - a quick google would have told him not to race it! 

06/05/2008 at 16:42
Razzle didn't one of the Kenyan runners qualify for the Olympics by running Boston???
621 to 640 of 726 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.