Army 1.5 run

8 messages
01/02/2013 at 13:11

Hello, little about me I've been training 11 months, when i first started I was 20st and currently 14st 10 and can run the 1.5 mile in 12.23! I passed Pre-Selection on monday and they want to send me away for selection end of feb.. Is there any chance of me cutting the 1min23sec of in 1 month?  I currently go to a Military bootcamp x3 a week, 1 4/5 mile steady jog and sprints..

Is this a good thing to do or should i be mixing it up a little more?

Thanks for any replies, Mark!

Edited: 01/02/2013 at 13:13
01/02/2013 at 13:52

Mark

I'm sure that others will be along soon with more solid training advice, but from what I know, having done this activity a few times, is that fartleks are your friend. Look to do more running to the max of 3 miles and chuck in a few faster sections during the run

I would also say that on the day you'll be properly warmed up and I would also add in the fact that you'll not be doing this alone and you'll find extra incentive as you run as part of a group.

Finally, you will also find some extra advice on www.Arrse.co.uk

Good luck !

01/02/2013 at 14:58

Couple more things

- do you need to hit 11mins ?   I thought run times related to the Regt/Corps you were applying for

-they wouldn't have put you forward if they didn't think you could do it

01/02/2013 at 21:55
I spent 8 years in the army and if I remember right you do press ups first, then sit ups then the run. The sit ups they make you do in their style are more designed to put strain on the hip flexors, practice these until they are easy, it will help with your run, I was told that can add 30 seconds on your run time
02/02/2013 at 12:49

I still thinks it's appalling that an overweight middle aged average running slow coach like me can easilly beat the ops time... I could pass the other tests too. I shouldn't be able to.

03/02/2013 at 02:21

I know what you mean Lardarse!!

04/02/2013 at 13:02

Very true, Lardarse, but my understanding is that these are very much entrance level tests. 

After x number of weeks training, particularly for Infantry, there would be a huge improvement.

18/02/2013 at 21:42

Hi Everyone - There is a new website that has a lot of resources for people who are joining or considering The Army. It has details on all the physical tests for selection and a lot of resources for getting to the required level of fitness. www.armyfitnesstest.co.uk

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.