Ask the Experts: Half-Marathon Q+A with coach Bud Baldaro

41 to 52 of 52 messages
01/03/2013 at 13:00

Yes, Tom, you should probably make sure you don't always race the 5k, ie don't always speed up otherwise it will hurt your half mara time at the end.

You sound like you are well on track time wise for a 1:50 half, as your miles per minute is at a great pace! And gosh you're so young. Long distance is supposed to peak around age 27!

01/03/2013 at 13:02

I presume they are in minute miles not minute kilometres?!?

01/03/2013 at 13:02

Oops, sorry, I'm not an expert at all. But have done lots!

06/03/2013 at 19:27
Hi I've just completed my first half marathon on 3rd march I did a beginners app which worked well. I'm doing a second half marathon on 12 may and want to add onto the training I've done without starting again with the small miles. I would like to improve on my 2.18 time, what is the best training plan to follow. I ran the race on a negative split 12 min miles to 6 then near 9 min miles after but know I could have run faster earlier if the race wasn't so busy to start with. Any help greatly received. I'm also doing a marathon in oct so building up miles over 13 will be happening soon.
18/03/2013 at 20:33

I Ran my first Half Marathon on Sunday 17/03/2013, it felt really good, I now want to do more of them, but I want to run faster, what is the best training programme to follow to increase my speed, a few details, I am 53 and my time was 1 hr 54 min and 36 sec for the half marathon

22/04/2013 at 15:04

I am going to attempt the GNR next September and I was thinking of doing the classic 12 week training programme. It does say the programme is for ppl who can already do the 1/2 marathon in around 2 hours and want to improve their time. However the programme consists of many 3 and 4 mile weekday runs and long runs at the weekend, but these long runs are at the longest 7 miles and to be done at an "easy"/""slow" pace.

I am not sure how this programme is going to help improve ppl's time - hopefully someone can explain.

Also there is a marathon but I notice the trainee never has to run more than 20 miles at one time in the entire programme.

Maybe it is never necessary to run the entire length of the run when training, just to do short runs often (and interval training).??

Please advise. Thank you.

24/04/2013 at 19:53

my advice is go on runnersworld smart coach i find the training plans very sutiable after entering my details

26/04/2013 at 04:45

so it seem when taining for a race it is not necessary to run the full length of the race (the smart coach longest run is 7 miles for the half marathon) and to do many short runs (2 or 3 miles)  thank you for the reply

27/04/2013 at 05:50

gareth how many weeks did you put down & how many miles a week did you put that you run. I put 12 weeks & 30-50 miles. My shortest runs are 6 miles which were done in the first week. My average runs are 8-11 miles. Rest on mondays. Training for hm. I am in my 4th week i ran hm yesterday in 1hr 28min very happy with that. 6 miles today at a slow pace.

16/05/2013 at 12:28

Hi Bud,

I am new to running being predominantly a skier! I ski about 5 days per week for about 5 - 6 months per year - great for strength but not enough cardio-pulmonary excercise, hence the running. Have signed up for an HM in October in Lyon, which is virtually sea level.  I am following the Couch to Half Marathon programme. Should I alter this programme at all to take into account the fact that most of my training is done at fairly high altitude 1850m or more? (I am well acclimatised but my lungs are struggling on the hills even for fairly short distances).

Second question: What is the best iphone app for this programme - there are so many I am confused! I am looking for something that I can program for iterval training so that it will tell me when to run and when to walk (i.e this week I need to run for 1/4 mile then walk for 1/4 mile and so on for 3 miles) without having to keep looking at my phone to see the distance I have travelled ( there seem to be lots of aps for 'time' based intervals but I am looking for distance.

thanks in advance any advice gratefully received!

19/06/2013 at 13:30

Hi - I have started training for my first marathon in Athens in November. I currently run aprox 42k per week and have a plan to increase it over the next few months. it includes a speedwork session and hill reps plus a long run and moderate runs. The problem I have is that I am a fitness instructor and the training is exhausting my legs. I teach x5 cardio sessions per week and x4 yoga classes. Should my training plan be adjusted to allow for this? Also what time should i expect to achieve? i run a half marathon in 1hr 45 mins and 10k's in 45-50 minutes.

I would really appreciate your advice. Thank you.

25/07/2013 at 14:09
Edited: 29/07/2013 at 14:10

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 52 of 52 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.