Ask the Experts: Marathon Training Q+A with Steve Smythe

61 to 80 of 90 messages
21/01/2011 at 13:44
Thanks Steve, when you said althernate weeks do you mean start with week I left off then skip to present week then go back etc?
LIVERBIRD    pirate
21/01/2011 at 13:46
Steve Marathon Coach wrote (see)
Liverbird:Single thing: Don’t do a marathon too early. Only run a marathon when you have got years of endurance running behind you and enjoy the other events on offer – 5k, 10k and half-marathon and multi terrains  before you even think about doing a marathon. 

Thank you Steve.

I'm going to print your reply off and give it to someone who has seriously underestimated what he has let himself in for. I did try to say that progression through the distances was a better route! I enjoyed building up through the distances and attacking the next challenge! It took 5 years to get to marathon.

Even more worryingly, he's said "if I can finish London then I'm going to do IMUK in July". This is coming from someone whose longest ever run is 7 miles.

21/01/2011 at 13:47
I like to keep my training simple:

Tuesday 5-9-miles. tempo (45 to 60 seconds faster than race pace)

Thursday 5-9 miles. easy ish (15 to 30 seconds faster than race pace)

Saturday LSR (45 seconds slower than race pace)

Sunday 4 mile.- easy recovery

Does this pacing seem about right? I'm not doing any hill sessions
21/01/2011 at 13:48

Liverbird you are more sensible and realistic than your friend

Runbird - yes ie go week 5 then week 7 until you have caught up.

21/01/2011 at 13:48
I bet your fingers are starting to hurt!!!!
21/01/2011 at 13:50

Hi Steve

I am running the Brighton marathon this year - it's my first marathon.

At the moment I do my long run on a Sunday, Fartlek Tuesday & two 5/6 miles on other days.  I also squeeze in a 5-a-side football match in on my night off - is this wise, apart from breaking my leg could it be damaging my training?

thanks

Liam

21/01/2011 at 13:51

Dibbers

your training does look sensible, yes - personally I would run your Thursday run at marathon pace rather than that much faster to get used to marathon pace more but maybe I'm lazy!

21/01/2011 at 13:53

Liam

I don't think Paula Radcliffe would risk a 5 a side match but it's probably like a good fartlek session so as long as you do the kicks rather than get kicked and you enjoy it, then it may be a risk worth taking. I used to find football used to kill my legs with the turns and twistin g but if you play regularly it's probably less of a problem.

21/01/2011 at 13:55

Andy

No fingers are fine - years of training and good preparation help in typing as well as marathoning.

LIVERBIRD    pirate
21/01/2011 at 13:56

Steve - is Quorn evil?

I like it but Mr LB said it's the devils food.

21/01/2011 at 13:56
thanks Steve - I feel less guilty now!!
21/01/2011 at 13:58

Liam

re the football - it is important to be flexible and supple and be sensible - the Brighton marathon is Britain's second biggest marathon and the 5 a side is probably not to the same level. Missing a great marathon due to an injury picked up in a fun kick around could be regretted so be sensible.

21/01/2011 at 14:00
Yes Quorn is very evil but not as eveil as doughnuts, red meat and cream cakes. I like it myself and had a very nice quorn fillet last night but prayed before eating.
21/01/2011 at 14:01
Steve what was your v45 half marathon pb?
21/01/2011 at 14:01

Hi everyone,

I'm afraid we're going to have to draw things to a close now. Thank you for all your thought-provoking questions though, and Steve thank you for your time and marathon wisdom!

Alice

21/01/2011 at 14:05

Liam my M45 half marathon pb was 74:36 where I was very disappointed on the day as was on for low 73 when blew up mid race but now satisfied with it!

I'll have a look later and tie up any loose ends later in afternoon. Thanks for the questions.

21/01/2011 at 16:33

Steve Marathon Coach,

Many thanks for taking the time to answer my question on Marathon pacing.

All the best

Brian

kittenkat    pirate
21/01/2011 at 16:40
Steve Marathon Coach wrote (see)

Kittencat

I’m sure various websites and books will give varying recommendations but I think it simply is plentiful amounts that is right for the individual. Everyone is different and it’s up to you to see what works for you in training. You need to very slightly up hydration levels in the last few days – more so if it is warm and sunny – but too much liquid is dangerous and you don’t want to spend half of the last few days getting rid of excess fluid. Personally I prefer things like Lucozade sport or SIS drinks so I am getting energy into the system as well as liquid, and ideally the beer and alcohol should be saved for post race though I know lots of marathoners who say they sleep better the night before with a beer, but unless you are sure it works, I would suggest staying clear of alcohol, especially on warm days.

In the race itself I like to sip water every other mile but less than half the bottle with other half poured on head and I take on Lucozade and have 4 gels.

Thank you
seren nos    pirate
21/01/2011 at 19:34
thanks steve
Edited: 21/01/2011 at 21:34
22/01/2011 at 00:10

Hi Steve - a belated thanks for the answer - only had the chance to catch up now after a busy day.

I think your replies were awesome to all the questions thrown at you, and your quick fire informative responses show a true understanding of running.

Peter is very lucky to have you as a mentor on the Super Six thread!

61 to 80 of 90 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.