Average training times

7 messages
04/04/2013 at 17:18

I am training for my first marathon in about 6 weeks.

Noticing that my average weekly minute per mile is very close to my hoped for marathon pace. (3:30)

Jan 180 miles 8.10 pace

Feb 175 miles 7.56 pace

Mar 200 miles 8.05 pace

My runs are a mix of lsr @ 8.30 ish pace and tempos@ 7.15 pace / intervals upto 6.00 pace

Does this seem right? is this how average pace works out for most- can find loads of info on pace for each session but thought the average pace was intresting.

04/04/2013 at 17:26

what pace are you planning on for your marathon RE?

04/04/2013 at 17:29

8:00 minute mile agent

pbs at present are

10k 41:20

HM 1:35

If i put these into a calculator it suggests quicker but this is my first marathon and my legs at the end of my long runs dont suggest quicker!!

04/04/2013 at 17:44

i wouldn't put too much truck in what the race calculators say. They're all subtly different and will over/under estimate your race paces and training paces. Ultimately you're the best judge of your capabilities.

It sounds like your training paces are about right. I'm not sure there's a lot of value to be gained from summing all your runs and calculating a mean pace across all runs in a given month. More helpful is to ensure you're getting a proper spread of running paces, including threshold, recovery runs, etc, and that you're not "racing" all your training runs, especially the long runs, which it seems you have a decent handle on.

Carry on as you are, and good luck in your race

04/04/2013 at 19:20
No idea but you seem to be racing most of your runs.

Your average paces each month are quite a bit faster than mine but my PBs are quite a bit quicker than yours. half time is 11 mins quicker.
04/04/2013 at 19:51
1997 yes that's what it appears when I look into training pace v race times.
Guess the other way of looking at it is I am not pushing myself enough when in a race.
The question is which is it?
07/04/2013 at 17:43

It is probably easier (and you are more likely) to run your training runs too fast than run your races too slow. Have a look at the McMillan Calculator to get a better idea of what you should be doing on your training runs.

Edited: 07/04/2013 at 18:01

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.