Bare with me..........

7 messages
18/06/2013 at 14:58

Right,

I ran an Ultra last month 30 odd miles. In a rather slow 6hr 50 but it was incredibly hilly.

Now when setting out for an ultra I am always too cautious and I'd rather be a bit more gung ho so to speak and see what I could really do.

Is their anyway of calculating say a minute per mile pace that you know your body could do for hours on end? Would perhaps keeping your heart rate under a certain number etc help? Or at what speed could you go before your body starts to really eat up your glycogen stocks?

I know the question has not been asked very well but I am hoping somebody knows what I am trying to get at.

Is the only way to get out there an experiment. Problem is I could do a LSW at 9 minute mile quite happily without raising the old heart but that will probably be too quick for a 50 miler for instance

18/06/2013 at 15:02

You want people to get naked with you?  

18/06/2013 at 15:05

YES! You offering

I was just reading about Maffetone (Don't want to open can of worms) but could this be what I am looking for???

18/06/2013 at 15:06

I know I meant Bear!

18/06/2013 at 15:12

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliff_Young_(athlete)

Have a look at this, (it's not spam I promise) but a legendary ultra runner

18/06/2013 at 15:18

Thats really nice. I love the gumboot memorial lol Seemed like a nice chap and to be able to run days on end without sleep is a bit mental!

18/06/2013 at 15:37

I think I have managed to answer my own question lol. Kind of looking for low carb training. IE what threshold do I need to run at to burn fat instead of carbs etc

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.