Base Training

201 to 220 of 11,716 messages
Bod
29/09/2003 at 11:19
Pantman

Initial targets are Sub 4 marathon and sub 1:45 half, with current pb's of 4:42 and 1:52 respectively and am dead serious in acheiving them but not in becoming an 'elite' runner. I can commit 1-1.5 hrs/day, double that on Sundays for the foreseeable. My racing is limited to halfs in Nov and Dec. Am happy to run harder if necessary but have tried to start off just getting the mileage up.

I recall you saying you were coaching someone for a sub4 marathon, I guess I want a specimen week, I have read Hadd but worry how one translates ~100mpw training for the sub 6min miler to 8-9min miler on 50mpw.
29/09/2003 at 11:32
The way to translate it is to run by time. I am coaching by the 4 stages I laid out earlier on this thread. The athlete in question is looking to complete stage 1 in November and just hold it there till Christmas as she has not got a history of higher mileage.
I am looking to hit stage 1 this week or next and hold till end of October. I will cover many more miles per week (and am doing extra am jogs), but the time run at this point in the main run is the same.
You are welcome to join the club, follow the training (would fit into the time schedule you say you have) and run a good autumn marathon. E-mail me if you want.
29/09/2003 at 12:25
PM - can I join the club and follow the training? What do I have to do? Do I have to physically go somewhere (i.e. the club) or can this be done via email? At this stage I'm willing to commit to up to 1 hour a day, 5 days a week, and up to 2 hours on a Sunday. Is this enough at present?

To give you some history, my recent race PBs are: 5K - 24:11, 10K - 51:34, Half Marathon - 1:51:03 (so not that inconsistent really). I currently train by weekly mileage, and am at 20-25 miles a week in 4 sessions.
29/09/2003 at 15:34
I was chased by a dog yesterday while doing my base training and still stayed under my target HR!
29/09/2003 at 15:50
LOL - bet the dog wasn't!
29/09/2003 at 15:50
Minks - e-mail me
Bod
29/09/2003 at 16:13
PM, did you get my email? Due to boss coming in I hit x button just after sending it so not sure if successful??
29/09/2003 at 16:37
Yep - got it. Reply tomorrow.
29/09/2003 at 16:49
PM - you have mail.
29/09/2003 at 19:26
Did first base training run today. I went out for 30 mins and tried to keep my heart rate between 135 and 145 bpm. I ran/walked 4km. I'm going to keep to 30 mins a day untill I can do more running than walking :-)
29/09/2003 at 19:36
tois does sound interesting
But i have one MAJOR problem
I have only just won the psychological battle that has forced me to have walk breaks
Yesterday i ran slowly for 110 minutes
If i follow this type of training, im afraid ill have to walk again, and its been SO hard to stop doing so
29/09/2003 at 21:57
Will be starting my official base training next week after race though i have been running more slowly for a few weeks now although without HRM
But will start next week i'm going to be very interested in what sort of improvements us base trainers will accomplish.
29/09/2003 at 22:35
I did an hour today on thetready at the gym - I find it easy to tweak the speed that way. I did have a mini break when I got the overwhelming urge to pee after 42.5 minutes though!!

All felt very easy, which I suppose is the idea, although psychologically it feels odd not pushing myself at all. I can't help but wonder how much good it's doing, as it's so far removed from how I run when racing, it's hard to believe it's doing any good.

Okay - I never run 2 mins fast then two mins recovery in races either - but at least it's running at race pace (plus) for some of the time.

I must keep the faith, I must keep the faith!

Am I right in thinking that over the weeks I should be able to keep below 180 - age at a higher speed?

That's the whole idea isn't it, by building that ability, you going faster for the same (or less) effort [amount available fro fat burning becomes larger], and when you push the same as in races, the FB bit plus the other stuff adds up to more power and more speed?
29/09/2003 at 22:56
WWWFR
Sounds very good - each session will feel easier, but SLOWLY increase the mileage - ultimately you should be able to do MUCH more at this HR - that is part of the objective.
Imagine a building (skyscraper) with the top 1/3 coloured red and the bottom 2/3 coloured green. The red is your anaerobic fitness and the green is aerobic.
The red chunk cannot be increased much beyond it's current size - it shrinks easily and is rebuilt quickly.
The green chunk is almost limitless in its growth. Build it up - as high as you can - and then put the red top back on again. Simple!
30/09/2003 at 07:36
Thanks PM - makes sense. :)

I suppose it also feel odd that in spite of running for an hour I hadn't covered 6 miles, which I'd normally do in about 42 minutes.

I'm thinking I'll have to run for half as long again to cover the same distance as before - so instead of a 20 miler taking 2:40 or soemthing, I'm looking at a 4 hour run :(

Or have I missed the point?
30/09/2003 at 09:00
So this base training is turning out to be quite good - I'm doing 2/3 half hour runs in the week, and an hour on Sunday. But there is one thing, and it happened the last time when I started to follow a 4 runs a week 10K schedule - I am really tired, and really really hungry! Part of this must be my work, but part of it has to be the increased exercise. I'm just a little worried about feeling over tired, and therefore not sticking with it because of this.

I eat three healthy meals a day, plus an unhealthy (biccies, chocolate, youghurt, cereal - just one, not all!) snack when I get home from work. I should probably eat more, as I tend to be quite thin, but I'm wondering, is this increased fatigue/hunger alright?
30/09/2003 at 09:23
Hildegard,

The idea of base training (as I understand it) is that you should be able to run a lot more often, and a lot further, because you're keeping your heart rate down and therefore shouldn't get so tired because you're not getting lactic build up.

If you're feeling incredibly tired, the first question I'd ask is whether you're base training at a low enough heart rate? Have you used the 180-age formula to calculate your maximum aerobic heart rate? You may need to tweak the formula by a few beats depending on your current training level etc.

Not sure why you're so hungry though - perhaps because you're burning more fat exercising this way?
30/09/2003 at 09:43
Thanks Minkin. I don't have an HRM, so I have been running at a pace which I find quite easy, hoping that this will do the trick. I shall try running even slower, and then perhaps I'll feel less tired. But it's more of a whole-body and mental tiredness, my legs feel absolutely fine.

As the for hunger, I'm one of those people who has to eat constantly. Also, the moment stress hits, I lose weight. I'm 5'8'', and 58 kilos. Wouldn't want to get any thinner. Wouldn't want to gain weight either, unless its muscle.
30/09/2003 at 10:04
Hi Hildegard,

I think you might find that you're actually running a lot faster than you probably should be. A HRM will help make sure that you're training within the correct zone for this type of base training - otherwise you WILL knacker yourself completely and also run the risk of injury. Most people find it very difficult to run at a slow enough pace to make base training effective. I've never felt the urge to use a HRM but if I am serious about base training properly (which I am) I realise that just relying on my own ability to 'feel' pace is not going to work (especially as I'm pretty crap at it!) Why not try using a HRM?
30/09/2003 at 10:24
OK, I will try ultra-slow! I don't have an HRM for two reasons - first, I think it might make me view my training as too serious, as a sort of chore, and not fun any more. I'm here in Norway only temporarily, and life is a bit of a mess at the moment for various reasons. And on the practical front, I don't want to accumulate any more 'stuff', as it will just be more hassle to move back to the UK next June. So, perhaps I'll get one in time.
Thanks.
201 to 220 of 11,716 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.