Base Training

11,301 to 11,320 of 11,716 messages
25/05/2006 at 09:00
DF

Well I have been taking it easier this week. Did not run at all at the weekend - it was the Scottish Pipe Band Championships which meant a very long day away on Saturday, and a good lie in on Sunday to recover. Then just four 5 mile runs at fairly easy pace so far this week. This is a taper ahead of the HM at Loch Leven on Saturday. I will probably have a day off tomorrow, with a bit of gentle cycling, so that I am fresh for Saturday.

Hope the inflamation goes down soon for you.
26/05/2006 at 22:12
Did 4.5 miles last night - really enjoyed it again. Am finally beginning to notice that my average HR is coming down by about 5bpm than say 6 months ago.

Been indulgent today - lunch out with my parents and evening meal out with hubby and kids (it's my birthday so that's my excuse). No exercise.....

Will have to work hard tomorrow to burn off all those calories.
26/05/2006 at 22:37

still here
27/05/2006 at 17:07
DR..good luck with the half..

Susie...happy birthday..

Hipps...I'm only just still here...leg feels like it is about to drop off...glad you are here though..r u still doing Dublin?

27/05/2006 at 17:08
Birthday
I missed susies birthday
slaps self

Yes david-still doing doblin but have not informed mr hippo yet

whats happening with your knee
27/05/2006 at 17:27
don't really know...no actual pain coming from knee...but I can barely walk...popping noise coming from general area of knee/hamstring....still think it is related to tendons/muscles rather than cartilage/ligament...but the bloddy popping is driving me nut....

think I read in Paula's book about her having similar symptoms..

nothing to do but ice/IBU and wait really...getting very frustrated though...
27/05/2006 at 19:01
PB (post 30) for me today at Loch Leven. 10 minutes faster than my HM time last year. In spite of the strong head winds over the last few miles.

I am well chuffed.

You can read more on todays thread.
27/05/2006 at 19:50
Happy Birthday Susie!

Well done DR. Keep it going - lots more to come!

Good luck with the knee DF. Is it crepitus? I remember that being talked about in Paula's book, but she also damaged the vastus medialis, which could affect the knee
29/05/2006 at 10:09
Hi. I haven't read this entire huge thread, so do apologise if this has been answered already. I'm post FLM, and started base training because my marathon time (3:58) was well out of synch with 10k time (43:35). It was my first marathon but I think I'd benefit from a good aerobic base building phase. Did alot of faster running up to FLM averaging 50mpw. My question is whether it is better to do Hadd or Maffetone training, or as Pantman posted at the start of this Mafetone for a few months, then Hadd to gradually build up some faster runs. Or does it make no odds as long as its all comfortable. Any thoughts? (I'm 30 and Max hr 188, so nothing strange to take into account).
29/05/2006 at 12:20
6 miles plodded this morning. Ave HR is definately lower than it was a while ago.

I've introduced some speed sessions in the last month and think I'm beginning to see the benefit.
29/05/2006 at 13:29
Sam...FWIW, I followed the Hadd plan (more or less) during the run up to Paris and did 3.21.58 of a similar 10k pb...which I managed to get down to 40.35 three weeks ago at Edinburgh....so Hadd has worked for me..

you can view my running log here (note, no training at the moment as I am injured)

http://www.coolrunning.com/cgi-bin/log/display.cgi?u=DiamondD;s=blueboy

d
29/05/2006 at 13:56
David - what was your marathon time like before Hadd training? Your marathon and 10k relationships is really tight. Very impressed .
29/05/2006 at 17:40
Sam...Paris was my first mara...

Although I am currently crocked (last run was last Sunday), my aim is to get my 10k pb below 40 mins and to do the Dublin mara in as close to 3 hrs as possible.

There is quite a healthy debate going on in the 'Heat Rate Monitor Traning' thread which might interest you if you are thinking of using Hadd approach....
29/05/2006 at 18:41
Day 60 for me tomorrow
:))
29/05/2006 at 19:04
nice one hipps...the way I am going, I might be on day sixty soon too....;-(
29/05/2006 at 19:05
noooooooo
now look mate-dont get down
It will come right
x
29/05/2006 at 19:14
Sam,
I think Maffetone is similar to Hadd, although I can't remember all the details. Maffetone defines what pace you can run day in day out - that's the important thing. Build up the daily running to an hour a day. Then gradually build up a long run to 2 hours and add some Hadd style work sessions - a steady pace run of 80%of max, and maybe some long intervals at 85% of max (3*1 mile, 3 minute recovery for example) or a tempo run with 20 mins of 85%max.

Keep at it and you'll see that marathon time tumble.

Well done Hipps. I'm on day 2 of a long stretch. 25 days in a row was my best before IOW. Mind you, it shouldn't be about mindlessly avoiding rest days!
29/05/2006 at 19:17
DF,
You'll recover - just keep the faith. Maybe you should review your training log and ask yourself if maybe you overdid it? I remember asking you to hold back on occasion (25 mile runs for instance). Just a thought
29/05/2006 at 20:42
I've been running since Novemeber but anaerobically without direction. Got myself a HRM and for past 5 weeks been training just under 70% WHR. Ib the begining it was part run part walk but 5 weeks on I can run but at a ridiculously slow pace of 3.2mph. I run 4/5 times a week all at an hour with one long run at 2hrs.

When am I likley to see an improvement in running faster than 3.2mph without going over the 70%?

would love to go in for 10k since I can jog for 2 hrs but my speed is so slow. I think 85% of WHR is at 4.0mph
29/05/2006 at 21:03
becky,
I suspect you have your max HR wrong. Beware of formulae - they are rather unreliable. Also note that Hadd talks in terms of % of max, not working heart rate. You should be running at 70% of max. 85% of max should feel you are pushing the pace, whereas 85% of working heart rate will be more like 10k speed.

It does sound like you should be running faster, ie at a higher heart rate.

Try doing a Hadd test - laps of progressively higher heart rates - the details are in the Hadd article linked from page 1 of this thread. This will give you an idea of your lactate threshold, and you can base your pace/heart rate on this.

Another option is to run a 10k race wearing a HRM. If you run a good race (ie well paced) then this can give you a fair idea of your lactate threshold - the HR you can sustain for 1 hour.

You could try a max heart rate test, but this is very hard work - you have to push so that you almost black out.
11,301 to 11,320 of 11,716 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.