Base Training

11,381 to 11,400 of 11,716 messages
22/06/2006 at 23:45
nice site susie...very elegant...
23/06/2006 at 19:27
DF - your massage sounds horrendous.

I, on the other hand, had a lovely, relaxing, aromatherapy back, shoulders and neck massage tonight. I vaguely thought about going for a run afterwards but then thought nah! I'll make the most of the chilled out feeling!
23/06/2006 at 19:28
oooooooooh
i must book a massage
i am SO STIFF

creaks out of thread
23/06/2006 at 19:31
oh yeah

i did a treddy session today, with a HRM

YES!
and some faster bits(LT 15)
26/06/2006 at 10:55
Ran Dundee half yesterday, full details on todays thread. Good news is I was 7 minutes faster than last year. I also ran the half distance 29 seconds quicker than last month. So thanks once again to all the base training since the start of the year!
26/06/2006 at 11:27
My apologies to base trainers if you read a similar message to this elsewhere, but I would like to know your thoughts on base training after running with a HRM in my last two races.

I have found two things in my last two half marathons:

1 - I am racing at a far higher heart rate than in training. Even in a gentle jog at the start to get warmed up before the race my heart rate is probably 10-15 bpm faster than normal. This repeats itself in the race when I am running at a much higher bpm than in training. Yet I seem to have no ill effects, I can maintain the pace and rate fairly consistently (although I have slowed a little in the later stages that was because in both races the last few miles were into a head wind). So should I race at my base pace, or not worry that my heart rate is so much higher in a race compared to my training?

2 - I do not train at the heart rates I achieve in races. So should I do some training at these higher rates to improve even more?

I have been more than pleased with my results from base training, I should be after knocking 7 minutes off my times from last year. And I will certainly look to keep this as the core of my training. I am however intrigued about these heart monitor readings in races, and what they might be showing me. Any thoughts from those of you with more experience of base training would be appreciated.
26/06/2006 at 11:36
erm
theres the adrenaline factor to take into account when racing
i consider my races to be anarrobic a lot of the time
which is undoing the other stuff-but there you go

Day 87
505 miles
26/06/2006 at 12:46
Dundee - 7 mins is a massive improvement, you must be pleased with that.
I don't train at race pace but will do mile intervals at race pace.

Hippo - wow, that's some mileage, are you going for a record number of days/miles without a break?
26/06/2006 at 13:13
my previous record was 42
LOL!
26/06/2006 at 13:22
PH

87 days is good going, well done. My best has been 30 days, so I take my hat off to your determination.
26/06/2006 at 13:23
it coincides wih how many days i have been unepmployed too

funny, that!
26/06/2006 at 14:41
I might be joining you in the unemployment ranks if I don't get a job soon.
I will be working from home from next Monday for the last 4 weeks of my redundancy notice, I have already made an appointment to join the gym on Sat and am going to go every day, except race days.
26/06/2006 at 14:42
GYM???????????

Not

(treddy??)
26/06/2006 at 16:07
No, have never been on a treadmill in my life and don't intend to start now. I'll still be running every day as normal but am going to spend an hour in the gym every day too.
This gym has fancy machines which I want to try out and I can use them daily without overdoing it, so the guy in the gym says.
Want to tone up and lose some weight and my workload will not keep me busy for 35 hours a week so am going to use the extra time for some extra running too.
26/06/2006 at 16:07
phew!
you had me really worried there!
26/06/2006 at 16:25
They have got a treadmill and the gym is superbly air conditioned, but I'm still not tempted, I love to run outside,especially this time of year.
26/06/2006 at 21:00
I use a treadmill now and again for doing speed session because it's more controllable.

Me and the girlies did 6.5 miles on Thursday in the countryside - it was really lovely. Our time was very very slow but at least after the first mile I felt I could have run forever.

Decided to do 6 miles on my own on Sunday - I struggled so much more than I did on the Thursday - don't know if that's to do with having company or not. My average m/m was between 11.50 and 12.00 and ave hr 164. I suppose I was a bit disappointed because I was hoping to be faster than that......maybe it just wasn't my day.

Anyway went to see Status Quo at an open air concert last night - they were very good but having stood up for 4 hours I was so so tired!!

26/06/2006 at 21:06
that sounds great susie
i would enjoy status quo-bet it was fun

its been very humid lately
not good for runnin
26/06/2006 at 21:24
Nips in for a quick visit..

Status Quo - now that takes me back, Southend circa 1975 I think!

Hipps - great mileage, don't do a 'BR' though

Dundee - 7 minutes is great. My HR is always faster at the start of a race than a normal training sesh. I'm sure it is nerves/adrenaline etc. I like the rule that until you can sustain 10 miles at same pace with no cardio drift, then stick with base training.

Me and gyms never did get on and I hate treadies. Having said that I have a spin bike at home which I sometimes use when I am babysitting and Mrs T is out running. I also have a bench and some free weights that I use for upper body stuff when I can't get to Kayak.
27/06/2006 at 21:54
Hipps - what you are going to do when you do eventually miss a day?

Did 4 miles tonight - cross country - very nice, somewhat muddy though. No idea of the stats - haven't looked yet.
11,381 to 11,400 of 11,716 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.