Base Training

11,541 to 11,560 of 11,716 messages
29/11/2006 at 19:39
you know me, always ready to say my piece!!

last time I saw you I could see how your improved running had had such a positive effect on you
29/11/2006 at 19:44
Shades
it still has

but

wasnt going to mention personal stuff but it looks like i may be up for a temp job end of January, and im doing all that form filling in anyway to join an agency now(cos the crb stuff takes ages), and I dont think i am 100% well either

and i had another odd experience at yoga

this is all good in the long term-but its like running through treacle when you are going through it

thank god for my streak

or i wouldnt get out of the door

10 miles tomorrow though
29/11/2006 at 19:56
..and a bit of a reality shock too going back to the working world, form filling etc. You will cope, but buy a lottery ticket just in case you win enough to become a full time athlete! I'd better buy one too.

You will be fine, enjoy your 10 mile run, then ease up L**** is only a couple of days away.
29/11/2006 at 20:05
good point

lottery ticket

yes, i will cope
29/11/2006 at 20:39
I know you will.

Got to go now, have spent all night on the computer, have just written a training programme for ultra training forumite, never written one for ultras before!
29/11/2006 at 20:43
oooh shades
you shouild write that book
30/11/2006 at 09:09
..maybe one day when I can't run anymore..
30/11/2006 at 09:11
wont get written then will it;)
30/11/2006 at 17:55
Hi peeps,

shades - any advice for 1st ultra would be helpful. Planning on Comrades in June 07, so post Jan 21 marathon it's ultra training...

PH - hows the mara count going?
30/11/2006 at 18:11
Trini - I suggest you do a shorter ultra first if you can, that's quite a jump from marathon distance.

Training, marathons close together are good and long training runs back to back.

there are training plans for the Comrades on their website, haven't looked at them though.
30/11/2006 at 18:53
Trini
bu my count it will be 50 on sunday
30/11/2006 at 19:11
Thanks Shades, not a lot of choice out here, but I do 2 day multisport races. So max time on feet this year is 5:32, and total racing time of 16 hours over 2 days.

I'll have to go with the long training runs and try to find a couple more marathons between Jan and June.

Hipps - wow big 50 already, awesome!
30/11/2006 at 19:18
well,at least 3 wont count for 100 mara club

still, soon i will "officially" be half way there
02/01/2007 at 16:11
Hello and happy new year! I need a bit of advice on Hadd's heart rate training if anyone can help. I've been doing base training for some weeks now but only just got round to reading 'the' Hadd article all the way through, and want to clarify a few things if that's ok, would be a great help.

1. What Hadd calls HRmarathon, calculated from my actual max HR, is 184 (204 max minus 20 bpm), and according to Hadd my easy running HR should then be 30 bpm less than this, or <154. But in the article he also says that if your HRmax is 193+ (even if over 200, which mine is), then you should do your easy running at <145, and start initial lactate threshold heart rate (LTHR) runs at 155-160.
I'm now a bit confused which of these I should be following. I have been working to running at <145 anyway (based on 204 x 0.7), but then according to Hadd's general guidelines for all max HRs over 193, the initial LTHR runs at 155-160 would be my 'actual' easy run pace, according to my actual HRmax.

2. When doing Hadd's test of repetitions of 2400m, given my HRmarathon, I presume I should be doing 5 repetitons for the following HRs: 150, 160, 170, 180 and 190 -is this correct?

3. A bit of background. After completing my first marathon in October last year I've been doing base training for 6 weeks now, getting down to <145, running 5/6 days per week (4/5 x 6 mile runs in the week, Saturday off and a 10 mile run on Sundays). What I want to know is how should I incorporate LTHR runs into my existing schedule, and the more specific training I will be starting soon? I have a half marathon on 25 March where I hope to do 2 hrs or just under (PB 2:10), and my second marathon on 27th May where I'm aiming for 4:30 or just under (PB 4:39).
I was planning on following Shades level 2 marathon plan (18 weeks, 4 or 5 runs per week including 1 or 2 speed - mostly tempo - sessions), but I see that Hadd doesn't adivise tempo runs until you can do 10 miles at HRmarathon without loss of pace, and I don't think I have sufficient time to build slowly to this before the half and marathon training would begin. I'm therefore wondering how best to continue with Hadd's principles whilst training for my half in March and full marathon in May, given my goals for both races and the time available.
Although I've yet to do any specific tests to measure my progress with base training over these past weeks I'm sure I'm seeing some improvement and want to carry on following the principles, and I've been told that Hadd's give the best results.

Sorry this has been a really long post and thanks for any views.
PH7
03/01/2007 at 18:59
Happy New Year all. I was pointed to this thread by a running partner. Spent the last two months of 2006 devoted to "running" at a low heart rate of around 100, my miles have been averaging around 13 minutes. I know that more traditional low heart rates are at the 120/125 level.
Do any of you experienced athletes see any great value in training at 100, or is it just completely daft to do so?
04/01/2007 at 17:54
PH7 - do you know what your actual max HR is (not by using any formula)?

My max is 160 so I do my Bt runs at 70%, i.e. 112.

As you can train at 100bpm I would guess your max HR is fairly low too or you're incredibly fit!
07/01/2007 at 10:50
I've not posted for ages and ages now. Am still running but have found motivation a little difficult in the last month - problem is, it shows round the waistline too!!

Happy New Year to all.
Ratbag    pirate
02/02/2007 at 16:03
Boing!!!!

Anyone still doing BT?
Ratbag    pirate
02/02/2007 at 16:10
Babu....just my 2p worth....

I wouldn't consider that the Hadd programme will have a huge effect for the half but could be a good start for the full mara but even this is a little soon. The idea of base training IMHO is just like it says, to lay a base for more speedy training later on. However, the longer you take building the base, the better equipped you will be to do the faster stuff.

Take a longer term view and get a good base. As the man says, you can run too fast but not too slow so run at as low a HR you can without actually walking....you WILL progress using this method. After about 6 months (or as long as you can stand it) try adding on tempo runs and other speed sessions but continue the LSRs...

Others are free to disagree with this and I'd be interested in what you have to say...

RB
02/02/2007 at 17:07
I would suggest that you concentrate on lots of 145 running (which as you say is Hadd's suggestion for the max easy running HR regardless of having a very high Max HR).

I did around 6 months training using base approach...with most runs done at sub 135 (my max is around 182-3). I also ran a couple of runs per week at sub 145 (this increased to sub 150 then sub 155 later in training programme). In any case, most runs were at sub 135. Pace for this HR started at around 10.30 min/mile and improved to around 8.30 min/mile.

Weekly mileage varied between 45-75.

Provided good base for mara which was run in 3.21.55

Good luck.
11,541 to 11,560 of 11,716 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.