Base Training

11,581 to 11,600 of 11,716 messages
14/08/2007 at 16:08
Afternoon Benz, I've been going out most days for the last 2 wks for a trot with my hrm just to see if it makes any difference. I wonder where Pantman is nowadays.
14/08/2007 at 16:13
well, last i heard he was very occipied with running his smallholding
15/09/2007 at 19:06

woohoo finally found the right thread

Shades pointed me in the general direction of there is a thread somewhere from here marathon trainig thread.

Probably going to start on this Late October at the earliest and i've already be warnede i'm liable to be barely above a walk at first.

15/09/2007 at 21:54

Keith, I've been doing base training for about 3 months now and it has worked really well for me. I have been using the formula 180 minus my age which is 29 to work out my max heart rate. Which is 151 bpm max.

The improvements have been good. My average pace per mile has went from 9.48/mile to 8.26/mile at the same average heart rate. This is as well as increasing my weekly mileage from 20 miles to 40 miles. So it does work but you do have to be patient in the early stages, especially on your longer runs. I was doing 10.43/mile on one long run. It takes about 5 to 6 weeks to see any noticable changes but it does work. My 10k time went from 51.00 in June to 47.00 a couple of weeks ago and this was with no special training just lots running at the same steady pace.I dont think any other training would have shown this much improvement so soon.

Good Luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Ian. 

15/09/2007 at 22:09

Hi Ian

Normal long run pace for me should be 10:30 to 11:30 per mile care of Shades marathon training plan. I'm not starting on any BT until i've completed my marathon on Oct 21st.

I do have a couple of 10 mile races in the month after that were i will be aiming to drop my PB down to the correct level. My PB times will be in the next post as its refusing to let me cut and paste again.

I suspect i might be down as slow as 12-13 min miles too start with which cold well be fun trying to keep low enough. I have a Garmin which i can set to HR alerts which will do and i should of used its pace alerts when i started my marathon training as at first i struggled to go slow enough.

Thinking of entering the Tring to Town race this Feb as my first Ultra

15/09/2007 at 22:10

hmm been checking fetch for equivalent race times and i spotted some soft PB's

5k   Current not got one  predicted  26:49

10k current 55:55   predicted 55:55

10 mile current 1:42:45   predicted 1:32:39

half mara current 2:05:48    predicted 2:03:22

full mara  current 6:11:25   predicted 4:17:12

as you can see both my 10 mile and full marathon PB's are well off what they could be but i've never ran a fully fit 10 miler yet (2 sore calves, a cold and a 3 month break from running for the 4 i have done) and my marathon is my only one in london this year where i had a collision with a pedestrian (i stayed on my feet i might add ) and hobbled on till mile 7 then walked the rest of the way

16/09/2007 at 13:38

Keith your perdictions seem fairly accurate apart from the 10 miler but this will improve with the base training. I wouldnt set your Garmin up for certain pace per mile otherwise you will be more concerned with your pace rather than keeping in the aerobic training zone. So I would just concentrate on keeping below your max heart rate once you have worked it out.

This article is very useful. http://www.rrca.org/resources/articles/slowdown.html

It is what I have based my training on over the past 3 months. I have still done 3 races during this period and have still got improvements. I am about to do the GNR on the back of this training as well.

BTW, have you got the link for the fetch race predictor please?

Ian.  

16/09/2007 at 17:21

Erm it gives me predicted times off of my training log where i stick distance and time in. I think there is a page for calculating specific times somewhere.

I'd be annoyed if i dont get the ten mile time down to 1:35 roughly in my two races in November, certainly want to be under 1:40.

Just finished Langdale Half and there was a lot of hills. Bliddy Garmin died inisde the first 5k too so i had no idea of pace nor do i have a clue how much climbing there was. I know there was a lot though as there were at least 2 1 in 4 hills climbed and a 1 in 3 too.

28/09/2007 at 21:54
Just popped in to say hi, hoping to start a winter of base training starting Monday, both running and cycling (mainly turbo) using the HRM to keep in the correct zone. Will let you know how it goes
01/10/2007 at 10:15
Blackbird - enjoy BT
01/10/2007 at 11:09

Good luck Blackbird, hope you get some good results. I was very pleased with the results I got.

Let me know how you get on.

Ian. 

25/07/2009 at 09:12
hm
03/08/2009 at 12:35
Hello Hippo
03/08/2009 at 14:02
*waves to hippo/Shades*
05/08/2009 at 11:47
Hi Pammie... a little BT reunion
29/09/2009 at 09:21

Well, I have read some (nowhere near all) of this thread with interest.  I bombed in my last 10k having done reasonably well in two 5mile races earlier in the summer.  I came to the conclusion that I was burned out and, after a lot of reading, decided to try base training to build a better 'reserve' before I think about any faster work.  Before my 10k I was running most of my  training at close to race pace - which obviously didn't work.  So, I have ascertained my max HR, RHR and set my garmin for 'easy' (65-75% WHR).  To begin with, I am running 4 x 40mins a week - I've never run more than 4 times a week and my longest run has been 70mins (Oct 2008!).  I'm hoping that this will give me some improvement - although I appreciate that it's not going to be overnight.

If anyone has any comments, I'd be pleased to read them.

Thanks, Impish

01/10/2009 at 11:34

Is this thread still going?

Well I've read through it...and it makes sense - same way I condition/fitten my horse so I'm game to give it a go!!  I'm a new runner who's regime has to be go on out the door and run till I'm knackered, have a rest and continue.  This has improved my (non-exsistant) fitness greatly but I'm keen to improve now.

3 miles today - 15 minute miles though - the SHAME!!  but I didn't stop at all and no stitch (which has plagued me for the last 3 weeks.)  My calves hurt for the first 1.5 miles but then I settled and felt like I could have carried on.  Humble beginnings - but am ready for this challenge and looking forward to seeing an improvement over the next few months.

Not looking forward to my usual route which is extremely hilly.  Normally I push on up the hills and rest at the top till I recover will be a challenge to keep heartrate low enough and to continue.

05/10/2009 at 09:08
Hi Suzy - if it isn't, perhaps we can reinvigorate it - keep encouraging each other anyway.  I too am struggling to run slow enough to keep my heart rate in 'the zone' - especially up hills.  However, I am finding it much easier to run one day and then go out a couple of days later, so upping the total distance I am covering.  It's early days for me - just coming up to 2 weeks, but I'm hoping to lengthen my weekend run this Sunday and to see some improvement in pace by the end of the month.  Well, got to stay positive and it can't do any harm
05/10/2009 at 10:08
Good to see this thread resurrected, been a long time since people wanted to talk about this.  Welcome Suzy and Imp to the joys of running at lower heart rates.
05/10/2009 at 10:16
This was a truly epic thread.
11,581 to 11,600 of 11,716 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.