Base Training

121 to 140 of 11,716 messages
22/09/2003 at 17:35
so you dont like change either BR?

Lynne I was counting you in that category at all so please don't take offence; the 'lose weight by eating more' target audience would never get as far as actually doing a race, or running for more than a couple of weeks

and sure, base training is a valid technique, but there will never be scientific proof that it is better than banging out 3 more months of the same old speedwork... there can't be unless a huge controlled trial were carried out, which won't happen

22/09/2003 at 17:35
oops i WASN'T
22/09/2003 at 17:40
That does seem to be the case hilly. perhaps you could just identify the quietest three months of the year and leave it till then? As you've sussed there will be some sacrifice in terms of not doing the races (well, not at race-pace anyway) but still the longer term gain. Alternativey a laboratory test may reveal you're already super-efficient, your LT is a v.high %age of your VO2 and you don't stand to gain anything! [don't think it would for me :-( ]
22/09/2003 at 17:47
if you want to push up your LT then base training definitely ISNT for you.... speed work and intervals is
22/09/2003 at 17:49
LT measured in HR, as it usually is, of course

not speed
22/09/2003 at 18:34
I'll continue to race over the next 3 months, hilly. As Chaos suggests, these tend to be the quietest months and the races, whilst being club championship, are not the ones I particularly want to peak for.

It probably means I won't progress as quickly as someone with the solitary goal of a quick marathon next spring who foregoes all anaerobic running, but I think it will stop me getting stale with more of the same that I've done for the last 3 years.

Andy, I hate change when it is wrongly seen as progress (e.g. government education reforms), but welcome it when I think it can improve things (e.g. base training in my running).
22/09/2003 at 18:38
i hate change when it weighs my pocket down or spills out over the bedroom floor, but welcome it when i wish to use a vending machine!
23/09/2003 at 09:53
Quote:

"if you want to push up your LT then base training definitely ISNT for you.... speed work and intervals is"

On the contrary Andy - if you have read the Hadd article (and subscribe to what it is preaching of course) it is exactly this sort of training that pushes up the LT. The link below explains the thinking behind this:

http://www.lactate.com/pilact3.html

If you accept your LT is at a particular percentage of max HR (which may differ according to conditions etc) it makes sense to maximise your pace at this level (and base training is a way of approaching this) rather than trying to maximise your LT to suit whatever pace you think you should be running.

In my opinion, a period of base training is all about patience and having belief in what you are doing and, more importantly, why you are doing it. If you do not expect to see any benefits by doing it then by all means continue to train as you wish.

However, if I can hold PM up as an example (hope you don't mind PM) - 7min miles at 145bpm (no lactate production at all) should surely serve as some sort of proof of the value of base training?
23/09/2003 at 10:23
Er, that would be 6:40 now, Davros... ;-)
23/09/2003 at 10:29
Need I say more.....
23/09/2003 at 12:04
Having read that, PM, I can't wait to begin my base training.

My current race pace is about 8 mins/mile or just over for a 10K and a bit under for a 5K. If I can get to 7 min miles at 150 bpm that will be a serious improvement!
23/09/2003 at 12:11
Bet you do... :-)
23/09/2003 at 12:16
i said in terms of hr
23/09/2003 at 12:23
you cant really assume where your LT is anyway, since a lot of it is genetic and it can be elevated by speedwork (eg I wouldn't be surprised if BR's wasn't at some enormously high level)

if you want to train at aerobic levels you should get tested reasonably frequently
23/09/2003 at 13:36
Hi all,

I read all of this thread last night, and I think it's brilliant! This is definitely the way for me to go at the moment, as my training is so inconsistent. I have no races planned in the forseeable future either, so no race goals to achieve. I also have no HRM, so I suppose I can't get very technical with it all, but then again, I think that working up to an hour per run is a good enough goal in itself, without all of the technical stuff.

Thanks for the inspiration,
Hildy

p.s. cos I need inspiration!! Work is getting me down. :(
Mog
23/09/2003 at 13:51
HRMs are dead cheap though, when you think what you can get out of having one.
Definitely the best sports-type purchase I have made (other than my running shoes and Ibuprofen).
23/09/2003 at 14:05
Wasn't having a go Andy - just expressing an opinion and adding to the debate (hopefully!)
23/09/2003 at 14:16
i've seen hrms for £20 - dont need anything fancy
23/09/2003 at 14:18
Perhaps after I move back to the UK next summer - here in Norway everything is at least twice the price, and so I always feel that I'm getting completely ripped off.
23/09/2003 at 14:50
buy it online from Spain or somewhere else cheap!
121 to 140 of 11,716 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.