Base Training

161 to 180 of 11,716 messages
26/09/2003 at 11:31
WWWFR - I hav efound the 180 formula to be better in practice than the standard one involving RHR.

Josie, I would ideally start aiming for 145 so that you don't go too slow and then as fitness improves allow some to go up to 150 and keep others below 140.

And I have a sin to confess - went over my designated 145 for a few minutes last night... Why? Well, I was running up a long hill and saw a bike ahead and I could swear it was getting closer - opportunities such as this rarely raise their head so I upped it a bit... Anyway as we crested the top of the hill I cruised (really, I was feeling so smooth and strong) past the poor cyclist who'd being struggling up the climb on his outside (i.e. on the road) - just to make it abundantly clear to all what had occurred. The look on his face was worth a million...
Also, I now know that 155bpm is still below LT...
26/09/2003 at 11:36
Pantman - has the experience tempted you into racing soon ?
26/09/2003 at 11:43
Er, I AM looking to race soon too...
BUT I will be staying aerobic t/out races.
Trent Park 10K Oct 25th; Chelmsford 10K Nov 23rd and Witham 5 Dec 26th are my first 3 monthly outings, God willing...
So no real change of plan - just an opportunity that couldn't be ignored...
26/09/2003 at 11:50
You'll have to be very strict with yourself to stay aerobic in a race environment (I didn't manage it). Glad it is all still going well for you.

Those races are not in my plans for this year, but it would be good to meet up next year for a battle of the base-building ex-lardies!

26/09/2003 at 11:56
NAUGHTY! Pantman.

- bet it was sweet, though...

26/09/2003 at 11:56
I'm all for meeting up at a race and supporting each other, but you have a sub 50min 10 mile PB and I'm gonna be aerobically faster than EVER before by Christmas at this rate. That's not a battle - it's annihilation!

But I will cheer the loudest when you break 2:20 at London..!
26/09/2003 at 12:28
Pantman, did I hear you say a 10K at Trent Park on 25th October? Haven't seen this listed ... but I live down the road from there so am tempted to do this. Did the Trent Park Running Club's 'Triffic Trail' in June and loved it; great course (a bit hilly!) and good atmosphere.
26/09/2003 at 12:33
See you there then, Minks...
26/09/2003 at 12:34
Is it the Run London Ragged 10K? Just found it on a search of the 'Events' section on here ...
I am teaching a course on Friday nights down the road from there too, so I may be going for runs in the park on Fri afternoons soon too. I sounds like a great place to run...
Yep - same one!
26/09/2003 at 12:55
PM, it's a really nice place to run. I ran there a lot during the summer - lots of different surfaces (road, grass, trail, stony path) and nice open space. As I run in the evenings I won't be going there for much longer I guess - too dark and as the running surface isn't always even I don't want to risk a sprained ankle (not to mention the safety factor, which sadly us lone females must take into account).

If I enter this race I'll see you there!
26/09/2003 at 12:56
BTW, where are you teaching?
26/09/2003 at 12:57
Wichmore Hill, I think - is that close to trent park?
26/09/2003 at 13:00
Can I just ask what is *so* bad about going over the 180 - age figure? Surely you still get the benefit from all the time spent below the correct level - or does it all vanish if you spend two minutes above it or do the occasional speed session?

My questions will probably stop once I get the books through, but until then I'm keen to know as I'm a theory junkie!
26/09/2003 at 13:06
Yes, Winchmore Hill is quite close to Trent Park (and where I live). I usually run Friday evenings (about 6:30pm) - depending on what time you're teaching we could meet for a run?

Email me if you like so as to avoid sabotaging the thread!
26/09/2003 at 13:26
I need to be getting ready at 7:00pm as class starts at 7:30pm - was thinking of running mid-afternoon so I can maintain it even when clocks go back...

WWWFR, Not a HUGE difference, agreed, as long as it is still aerobic - once you go anaerobic there is a significant physiological shift. Heck, even I went over night, but still aerobic.
I guess you just have to watch it - if 147 is close enough to 145, what about 148? 150? And before you know it you are up to 155bpm. Fine for two minutes in a month to overtake a cyclist, but if becomes acceptable to you every other run, you are changing the structure of what you are doing.
26/09/2003 at 13:46
RE base(aerobic) training
What is it that one is training? If its heart and lungs, only then swimming is just as good as slow running? Sounds daft, but I find running slowly is really tough on the knees, and going faster is more comfortable. But this is no good for base training, as HR goes up.
So real Q is, can you base train for running, by swimming?
26/09/2003 at 13:52
Nope. You will still train your heart and Lungs but the key limiting factor in aerobic training is what is going on in the muscles - capillaries, mitochondria et al. Thus the specificity of training.

26/09/2003 at 17:38
I am about three weeks into base training and am finding it very difficult to stay in my range - 180-32=148, I find it hard to stay under 160 really. Obviously this is because I am really unfit and a little overweight but what do I do? I feel like I am going backwards by walking most of my 'runs' whereas my earlier goals were to just keep running. Not sure what to do?

Tiny
161 to 180 of 11,716 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.